New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Dec 2012
    hi guys, my very first post.

would like some help deciding on what car to get. will most likely get a second hand due to budget limitations.

personal requirements:
    - fuel efficient and A/T (top priorities)
    - low maintenance
    - resale value (though not looking into this so much)

cars in mind are:
    toyota innova (diesel)
    toyota altis 1.6
    honda jazz 1.3
    honda city 1.3

you can say i'm looking into the sub-600k range and nothing older than 2009. to be used by me and the wife most of the time in the city (vios is not an option as the wife can't get over the centered dashboard).

been looking over at sub-compacts as well, but we're kind of worried on how "sturdy" they probably are compared to compacts (any comments, suggestions on this are gladly appreciated).

been driving a '97 prado VX and '05 starex GRX (looking for something that will definitely save more money on fuel than the starex).

so what do you think?

thanks guys!

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    by the looks of it, you are looking at the jazz.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    What's your gauge for fuel efficiency? At least 10km/L in city driving? Do you carry a heavy load and go on long trips or the car will be used primarily for city use? If it's for city use, then a 1.3 a/t such as the Jazz/City are fine although you may want to check the 1.5L variants as i've heard before the FC between both engines were not too far apart. The Altis will be a good mix if you plan to use the car both in town and out of town. The Innova will have the cheapest fuel cost given it's a diesel but if you're just driving alone most of the time and given the higher acquisition cost for the Innova if you're after an a/t veriant, it may be better to stick to a sedan.

4. Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Since you are driving a prado and a starex, it is better for you to to look for a car that is easy to drive around. I think the honda jazz fits you.

5. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by rjpa79 View Post
    hi guys, my very first post.

would like some help deciding on what car to get. will most likely get a second hand due to budget limitations.

personal requirements:
    - fuel efficient and A/T (top priorities)
    - low maintenance
    - resale value (though not looking into this so much)

cars in mind are:
    toyota innova (diesel)
    toyota altis 1.6
    honda jazz 1.3
    honda city 1.3

you can say i'm looking into the sub-600k range and nothing older than 2009. to be used by me and the wife most of the time in the city (vios is not an option as the wife can't get over the centered dashboard).

been looking over at sub-compacts as well, but we're kind of worried on how "sturdy" they probably are compared to compacts (any comments, suggestions on this are gladly appreciated).

been driving a '97 prado VX and '05 starex GRX (looking for something that will definitely save more money on fuel than the starex).

so what do you think?

thanks guys!
    Kung fuel efficiency habol mo, sa Innova ka na. Considering na hindi magkalayo ang fuel consumption ng Innova D4D sa Honda L13A, mas makakatipid ka sa Innova.

Given that an Innova consumes on average 9km/L city driving...
    9km/L / P42/L = Xkm/L / P52/L
    9*52 = 42X
    468 = 42X
    468 / 42 = X
    X = 11.14km/L
    So the fuel cost is the same as a gasoline engine that consumes 11.14km/L in the same conditions.

If you seat a lot of people and/or haul lots of stuff a lot, then that's another bonus. Chassis components are more durable and its a lot more pothole and flood-proof too.

6. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Pretty hard to find a diesel A/T Innova with your budget, even if it's just the E variant.

I'd suggest an Altis 1.6G A/T, which should fit your budget quite nicely. 9 km/L in the city is achievable in normal conditions, and it's a bonus that it's got a more comfortable ride than the Jazz or City. Huge trunk space too.

7. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    toyota innova d4d at | Buy and sell online NCR | Ayosdito.ph
    Ayan mga diesel A/T Innova's. They're mostly 1-2 years off your mark though.

You can also consider the Kia Carens CRDi. Its faster, more comfortable and about just as practical as the Innova. Resale value is lower than the Toyota's too.
    kia carens at | Buy and sell online NCR | Ayosdito.ph

8. Join Date
    Dec 2012
    thanks for all the input guys! definitely helps us making this decision better.

based on all your comments and on what we prefer, looks like we're narrowing it to the innova and the jazz.

Quote Originally Posted by GTi View Post
    Kung fuel efficiency habol mo, sa Innova ka na. Considering na hindi magkalayo ang fuel consumption ng Innova D4D sa Honda L13A, mas makakatipid ka sa Innova.

Given that an Innova consumes on average 9km/L city driving...
    9km/L / P42/L = Xkm/L / P52/L
    9*52 = 42X
    468 = 42X
    468 / 42 = X
    X = 11.14km/L
    So the fuel cost is the same as a gasoline engine that consumes 11.14km/L in the same conditions.

If you seat a lot of people and/or haul lots of stuff a lot, then that's another bonus. Chassis components are more durable and its a lot more pothole and flood-proof too.
    sir GTi, thank you so much for this!

question then, is it safe to say that the innova saves more money (fuel-wise) than the jazz? (anyone can also give their inputs)

thanks again for your help and to everyone else!

9. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by rjpa79 View Post
    thanks for all the input guys! definitely helps us making this decision better.

based on all your comments and on what we prefer, looks like we're narrowing it to the innova and the jazz.

sir GTi, thank you so much for this!

question then, is it safe to say that the innova saves more money (fuel-wise) than the jazz? (anyone can also give their inputs)

thanks again for your help and to everyone else!
    It depends a lot on how you drive, your daily route, and traffic conditions. I am quite sure given the right conditions, a 1.3 Jazz/City is still capable of getting double digit gas mileage. Pero kung EDSA or similar ang daily route mo, sa diesel ka na.

I'd strongly suggest you check out the Carens. Smaller (but more powerful) 2.0L CRDi VGT engine means you can get better gas mileage if you baby the throttle. Manual shift override function in the matic tranny means you can time your shifts for even better gas mileage.

10. Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by GTi View Post
    It depends a lot on how you drive, your daily route, and traffic conditions. I am quite sure given the right conditions, a 1.3 Jazz/City is still capable of getting double digit gas mileage. Pero kung EDSA or similar ang daily route mo, sa diesel ka na.

I'd strongly suggest you check out the Carens. Smaller (but more powerful) 2.0L CRDi VGT engine means you can get better gas mileage if you baby the throttle. Manual shift override function in the matic tranny means you can time your shifts for even better gas mileage.

understood sir! thanks so much for this, really a big help.

leaning towards the innova then...there may be a good chance that we get a good deal to get an AT diesel kasi. I'm looking into the carens right now and am considering it as well.

thanks again!

What car to buy? Innova, Altis, Jazz, City