New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Hi Guys. We are trying to look for a car with no more than 1.5m budget. What we have in mind is the subaru forester base model (with 150,000 discount) and the Volkswagen Golf GTS. I already did a test drive with both cars and I must say I am really impressed with both. I know they are not on the same category since one is a wagon while the other is a compact SUV. But these are the cars that really impressed me.

The advantage of subaru is that forester has a bigger and taller car with AWD feature while the volkswagen has a very powerful diesel engine. Both looks premium inside. A a little advantage on the Golf tho.

If you were on my shoes. Which car would you choose guys? Or any knowledgeable tsikoteers here who would enlighten me which one is more valuable than the other. Thanks for the reply.

2. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    If you really need the extra ground clearance and bigger trunk, then go for the Forester. If you are to going to use the vehicle for most city drives with some out of town trips on mostly paved roads, go for the Golf GTS. The Golf GTS has a more premium interior and also offers decent cargo space. Even though the Forester is one of the best handling CUVs, the Golf GTS drives more like a car and offers better performance (quicker and faster) plus thriftier on fuel. The Forester offers a boxy look while the Golf GTS offers better looks. On the matter of maintenance, Subaru follows a 6-month/10k PMS cycle while VW follows a 12-month/15k PMS cycle. The current Forester platform is about to be replaced with a new one next year.

3. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Volkswagen Golf GTS ... diesel ... premium build ...

4. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    If opting for the Forester, go the extra mile and get the XT. Subaru will not offer the XT model on the new platform. The current Forester XT might be the last one on its storied history unless Subaru changes its mind.

5. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    I have both . . . and they offer slighlt different things. If you want something sporty and and the same time practical, my vote is for the GTS.

The Subaru though is more practical - bigger space, higher ground clearance, Subaru's excellent 4WD. Plus I think it is a more confortable driver in the city given it has better sightlines vs the GTS. You sit high in a very nice glass greenhouse.

Fuel economy though is GTS hands down, nothing beats that 2.0 TDI.

Negatives for the Subaru is the feel of the CVT. Very unlike a traditional automatic. You don't mash the accelerator to overtake kasi it does not downshift. Linear na tapak to get to the speed you want is the key.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    gts for power and economy[emoji16]

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

7. Join Date
    Jun 2017
    My vote goes to GTS too. You get a lot of good car for your money, plus that powerful AND thrifty engine is a treat!

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Side by side, Golf GTS.

Kung Forester I'd go with the XT (I just told a friend the exact same thing Egan said).

I was in line to get a GTS also but space for the rear seat made me think twice as this is a consideration for me too.

9. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    GTS din ako dito. Just from my own perspective would be more enjoyable to drive.

10. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Many will suggest the Volkswagen Golf GTS ... but when it's time to purchase a vehicle ... most will buy the Subaru Forester ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast