New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Sirs,

I'm planning to buy my son a 2nd hand, reliable, orig LHD small SUV with a budget of 250-350K. I've been looking thru sulit and had inspected some. With my budget, my choices are now narrowed to Vitara, Gen 1 Grand Vitara, 3-door Pajero.

Things to consider are fuel consumption, availability and cost of parts, and ease of maintenance.

May I know your expert opinions?

Salamat.

2. Join Date
    May 2010
    I think the Vitara fits your choices but have you considered the first gen Honda CR-V?? Kasya din sa price range niya

3. Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by myk384 View Post
    I think the Vitara fits your choices but have you considered the first gen Honda CR-V?? Kasya din sa price range niya
    Thanks, bro. I'll consider that.

4. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Dambala View Post
    Sirs,

I'm planning to buy my son a 2nd hand, reliable, orig LHD small SUV with a budget of 250-350K. I've been looking thru sulit and had inspected some. With my budget, my choices are now narrowed to Vitara, Gen 1 Grand Vitara, 3-door Pajero.

Things to consider are fuel consumption, availability and cost of parts, and ease of maintenance.

May I know your expert opinions?

Salamat.
    Dapat ba original LHD talaga? There are no 3 door Pajero's that are original LHD. Converted yan lahat, nasa quality of conversion na yan. Definitely the 3 door Pajero would be the most robust among your choices. Its got top notch offroading and flood wading capabilities, and the engine performance is solid as can be expected from a Pajero. The Vitara is very old, performance is poor and fuel consumption is not good. Off road capabilities are superb though. The Grand Vitara would be a much better choice with a choice of 2.0L inline 4 or 2.5V6 engines. But then, both wouldn't give you great FC either. As mentioned, you can try out the 1st gen CRV M/T (matics are very thirsty), just don't expect good offroad performance from it. You may also consider the Escape 2.0XLS M/T. Performance is pretty solid (unlike the A/T version which is underpowered and VERY thirsty) and so is the chassis which can stand a lot of abuse. If you want a car that's fuel efficient, has wide availability of low cost parts, and costs a dime to maintain which fits your budget, get a Revo diesel.

5. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Find agood converted 3-door pajero gen2. It's design is almost timeless. Simple but very good vehicle. Planning to get my wife one also.
    Fasten your seatbelt! Or else... Driven To Thrill!

6. Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Thanks, bros... great inputs. I'm still looking.

GTi: I inspected a 3-door orig LHD gas Pajero that I saw in Sulit. I considered it since it will only be used from home to school with occasional trips to nearby areas. I wasn't impressed though. Would you know the FC of the Grand Vitara and Ford Escape?

Salamat ulit

7. Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Let me just add, bros, that this will just be a temporary car for him for the next 2-3 years until he graduates. I'm also considering the ease of maintenance para less headache for me

8. Join Date
    May 2010
    Let me just add, bros, that this will just be a temporary car for him for the next 2-3 years until he graduates. I'm also considering the ease of maintenance para less headache for me
    Since ganun ang needs mo, the car must have ease of maintenance and dapat madaling mabaenta - in short, high demand in the used car market.

Honda CR-V, Suzuki Vitara pasok sa choices.

An uncle of mine had a 4-door Vitara. It has a decent comfort for its size (better than a lot of bantams), low maintenance cost and very dependable. But if I were going to buy one I'd consider a diesel engine swap (the Toyota 2C would be a good choice).

10. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Thanks, bros... great inputs. I'm still looking.

GTi: I inspected a 3-door orig LHD gas Pajero that I saw in Sulit. I considered it since it will only be used from home to school with occasional trips to nearby areas. I wasn't impressed though. Would you know the FC of the Grand Vitara and Ford Escape?

Salamat ulit
    Gas Pajero? So 3.0V6 or 3.5V6 ang engine? Malakas sa gas yan, bro. Most certainly, the one driving it will like it due to the power but the one paying for the gas won't be happy... Kung 3 door Pajero, look for the ones with the 4M40 (2.8L intercooler turbo diesel) engine. Although may pagkamakupad ang 5 door Pajero with that engine, the 3 door should do better. Kung for daily driving to school lang naman, huwag na ang Grand Vitara. Its great if you plan to go off road with it but if not, you defeat its purpose. The V6 engine most certainly isn't economical, Suzuki parts are quite expensive and dealer network is limited. We have a 2003 Escape 2.0XLT A/T, so I don't know first hand what sort of FC the M/T version gets, but according to motioncars's review, its a lot better than the A/T in both performance and fuel efficiency (partly also because it's just 4x2). The underpinnings are definitely "built Ford tough" and handling is also good.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Vitara vs Grand Vitara vs Pajero for 250K-350K budget