New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines



Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 37
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    24
    #1
    Hi! I will be replacing my SUV with either a subcompact / compact car. I'm getting tired of using my Fort and I am already decided in replacing it with a smaller one. Also maintenance wise, I think it is cheaper with smaller vehicles. My budget should not exceed 900k so I'm considering the following: Vios G AT, Honda City VX, Altis G MT and Elantra E MT plus other suggestion??? I would like to stick with the segment above and must have a decent FC (atleast 8KMS/L in light to moderate traffic) and no major issue/s so far. Thanks

  2. Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    125
    #2
    Neither the Altis or Elantra even in MT will do real 8 km/l in moderate traffic. As for the Elantra, casa maintenance is really expensive from experience. My old i10's PMS costs were consistently more expensive than our Altis. It was ridiculous. If you want Korean but cheap maintenance, get a Kia. My Soul's maintenance has been very cheap so far. About as cheap or even cheaper than our Toyotas. Never went over 5 digits. My 22.5K km PMS was P6.6K and my 30K km PMS last week was P7.8K which already includes a bearing replacement (scheduled for 30K km). As for the Altis, can't really go wrong with it. However, you should remember that both the Altis and Elantra are actually wider than the Fortuner. May not be much different from the Fortuner if you want something that's easier to weave around traffic.

    As for the Vios/Yaris, you'd still have trouble getting 8 km/l in moderate traffic with its 1.5 engine and archaic 4 speed AT. The City/Jazz should be able to do 8 km/l in moderate traffic since they use a CVT for the AT.

    If you really want something fairly new, under P900K, very fuel efficient and easy to maintain, only Mitsubishi and Suzuki have what you're looking for. The Mirage G4 1.2 CVT and Ertiga 1.4 AT can do 9 to 10 km/l in moderate traffic. The Mirage G4 offers almost the same space and nearly as much tech as the City, but isn't as classy for obvious reasons. Much cheaper to buy and maintain too. The Ertiga is basically a compact MPV. Very comfy and easy to drive because its dimensions are deceptively small. Also, the K14B engine on the Ertiga is magically fuel efficient despite the 4 speed AT.

    If you can stretch your budget further, the Mazda 3 1.5 Skyactiv at around P965K is very fuel efficient. Best in class. Arguably looks prettier than the Altis and Elantra too. But Mazda's casa maintenance isn't cheap. There's also the Kia Soul LX CRDi and I believe they're still offering a P50K discount at most branches which should take the price down to P970K. It's very fuel efficient and more spacious than either the Altis and Elantra. About as wide as the Altis and Elantra too, but not as long. And it's cheap to maintain.

  3. Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    1,515
    #3
    accent crdi add mo sa list?

  4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    15,525
    #4
    my altis G M/T averages around 8 kpl in heavy traffic, 9.8 in moderate traffic, 10.5 in mixed city/highway traffic and around 11.5 in highway traffic....

    best i got is 15 kpl in pure highway driving, minimum speed is 60 kph, maximum is 110 kph.... depends on how you shift and how you maximize the 6 speed manual tranny.

    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

    my altis G M/T averages around 8 kpl in heavy traffic, 9.8 in moderate traffic, 10.5 in mixed city/highway traffic and around 11.5 in highway traffic....

    best i got is 15 kpl in pure highway driving, minimum speed is 60 kph, maximum is 110 kph.... depends on how you shift and how you maximize the 6 speed manual tranny.

  5. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    16,293
    #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Kestana View Post
    Neither the Altis or Elantra even in MT will do real 8 km/l in moderate traffic. As for the Elantra, casa maintenance is really expensive from experience. My old i10's PMS costs were consistently more expensive than our Altis. It was ridiculous. If you want Korean but cheap maintenance, get a Kia. My Soul's maintenance has been very cheap so far. About as cheap or even cheaper than our Toyotas. Never went over 5 digits. My 22.5K km PMS was P6.6K and my 30K km PMS last week was P7.8K which already includes a bearing replacement (scheduled for 30K km). As for the Altis, can't really go wrong with it. However, you should remember that both the Altis and Elantra are actually wider than the Fortuner. May not be much different from the Fortuner if you want something that's easier to weave around traffic.

    As for the Vios/Yaris, you'd still have trouble getting 8 km/l in moderate traffic with its 1.5 engine and archaic 4 speed AT. The City/Jazz should be able to do 8 km/l in moderate traffic since they use a CVT for the AT.

    If you really want something fairly new, under P900K, very fuel efficient and easy to maintain, only Mitsubishi and Suzuki have what you're looking for. The Mirage G4 1.2 CVT and Ertiga 1.4 AT can do 9 to 10 km/l in moderate traffic. The Mirage G4 offers almost the same space and nearly as much tech as the City, but isn't as classy for obvious reasons. Much cheaper to buy and maintain too. The Ertiga is basically a compact MPV. Very comfy and easy to drive because its dimensions are deceptively small. Also, the K14B engine on the Ertiga is magically fuel efficient despite the 4 speed AT.

    If you can stretch your budget further, the Mazda 3 1.5 Skyactiv at around P965K is very fuel efficient. Best in class. Arguably looks prettier than the Altis and Elantra too. But Mazda's casa maintenance isn't cheap. There's also the Kia Soul LX CRDi and I believe they're still offering a P50K discount at most branches which should take the price down to P970K. It's very fuel efficient and more spacious than either the Altis and Elantra. About as wide as the Altis and Elantra too, but not as long. And it's cheap to maintain.
    I don't know what Altis you own, but my Altis G MT does over 8 km/L in heavy city traffic (BGC rush hour). I have also done 20 km/L on the highway (maintaining 80 kph), and 16 km/L at 100 kph. That's with 18" rims and wider tires, if completely stock, you could do better in city driving.

    imageuploadedbytsikot-forums1438658259.918133.jpg

    One of our co-forumers here drives a City VX CVT and we pass similar routes daily. He gets roughly the same mileage as my Altis (8-ish km/L).

    My officemate who has a Mz3 1.5 also gets just 8 km/L in the same C5 rush hour traffic I go through.

    Also, from experience, the Altis is much, much easier to drive in the city than a Fortuner. Not as slim as a subcompact, but definitely has a better turning radius for parking, and being a sedan, is easier to point and shoot in traffic.
    Last edited by jut703; August 4th, 2015 at 12:23 PM.

  6. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    10,339
    #6
    If you're Ok driving an MT car, the Altis G M/T is a very good choice and best value for money for an all-round family car.

    If you want a fun to drive car for 900k, the Fiesta Ecoboost is like a daily go kart. Unless you're too aggressive on acceleration and braking, FC will be around 9-10 km/L on city driving. It can do 20 km/L on the highway assuming you cruise at 80kmh doing less than 2000rpm. I have achieved 15 km/L averaging between 100-120 kmh. It is not as spacious as the City or Jazz or Vios but its driving dynamics and performance are much more than the rest of the competition.
    Last edited by Egan101; August 4th, 2015 at 12:59 PM.

  7. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    16,293
    #7
    Quote Originally Posted by JayPi.23 View Post
    Hi! I will be replacing my SUV with either a subcompact / compact car. I'm getting tired of using my Fort and I am already decided in replacing it with a smaller one. Also maintenance wise, I think it is cheaper with smaller vehicles. My budget should not exceed 900k so I'm considering the following: Vios G AT, Honda City VX, Altis G MT and Elantra E MT plus other suggestion??? I would like to stick with the segment above and must have a decent FC (atleast 8KMS/L in light to moderate traffic) and no major issue/s so far. Thanks
    I was in a similar situation a few months back, and ended up with an Altis G MT.

    My thoughts on your choices:

    Vios G - at 880k (840k net of discounts), it's not really good value for money, especially if you consider that the City VX is priced the same but is a much better car. If you want a Vios, the 1.3E is the best value variant as it has almost everything the G has at just a little over 700k for the MT (after discounts). I did 7.5-10 km/L in city driving for my Vios E AT, and the manual should fare better.

    City VX - at 890k (with occasional discounts of up to 30k), it's an expensive subcompact, but definitely the best all-rounder among all subcompacts. It's got impressive space - legroom is as good as the Altis, but elbow room is still lacking. It also has fancy features like push-button ignition, bluetooth connectivity, touch screen HU, an abundance of 12V sockets front and back, etc. But of course, at the end of the day, it's still a subcompact, and I'd rather get a compact for the same price.

    Elantra E MT - gone are the days when Hyundais were good value for money. At 888k, the Elantra E is so bare - no foglamps, 15" rims, no aux/USB/iPod connectivity, no steering wheel controls, just 1 airbag, no ABS/EBD, manual airconditioning, no telescopic steering adjustment, no keyless entry, no 60/40 split rear seats, and so on. Heck, the base Altis E has more features. It's got a good engine, but a good engine alone isn't enough to make the Elantra E a good buy.

    Altis G MT - gone are the days when the Altis was merely a safe and boring choice. It's actually really good value for money, and for most people, it's quite a looker. It has all the basic features that the Elantra doesn't have, though the City still has more fancy toys. However, what the City doesn't have is a larger cabin and a better ride. And of course, the Altis looks classier and is a notch above, as it's a compact vs the subcompact City. Maintenance is very cheap, as with most Toyotas. The Dual VVTi engine is quite a surprise too - good fuel economy but at the same time can get to 200 kph and has great power delivery throughout the rev range. The suspension is the same as before, but has been retuned to have less understeer and body roll.

    Other cars I considered were the ff:

    Mz3 1.5V - objectively, this is actually a great car. It looks wonderful, and has all the features of the Altis 1.6V at 50k less (Bluetooth, push-button, etc). Then there's free maintenance too. Handling and steering was great and this is really a fun car to drive. However, I really wasn't impressed with the power from the 1.5 Skyactiv. It's got good top-end power, but at under 4000 rpm it's pretty ho-hum, much like the older Hondas. Also, the 16" rims are too tiny for the body, and you'll really need to upgrade to the 18" OEM 2.0 rims to look decent, which adds to the cost. And though it seems really minor, I hate the digital tachometer. Digital speedos are fine, but I want my tach to have a needle instead of bars. Overall, the 1.5V feels like a shortchanged version of the 2.0, unlike in the Altis which feels like it was first designed as a 1.6, and the 2.0 was just added to have a big-engined range-topper. The Mz3 was at 965k, while the Altis was just 840k after discounts. I couldn't justify spending over 120k for the Mz3 when I could just get an Altis and spend a little for mods to make mine stand out.

    Fiesta 1.0 Ecoboost - it's got the best engine for any car under 1M (as good as the 2.0 compacts), and great handling to match. Has all the features that the City has too (push-button, Bluetooth, etc) plus voice control. This for me is the best subcompact actually. But at the end of the day, still a subcompact priced more expensive than a compact. If you're really after a small car, get this, but if you just want the best all-rounder sedan for your money, there are other options.
    Last edited by jut703; August 4th, 2015 at 02:22 PM.

  8. Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    125
    #8
    Quote Originally Posted by jut703 View Post
    I don't know what Altis you own, but my Altis G MT does over 8 km/L in heavy city traffic (BGC rush hour). I have also done 20 km/L on the highway (maintaining 80 kph), and 16 km/L at 100 kph. That's with 18" rims and wider tires, if completely stock, you could do better in city driving.

    imageuploadedbytsikot-forums1438658259.918133.jpg

    One of our co-forumers here drives a City VX CVT and we pass similar routes daily. He gets roughly the same mileage as my Altis (8-ish km/L).

    My officemate who has a Mz3 1.5 also gets just 8 km/L in the same C5 rush hour traffic I go through.

    Also, from experience, the Altis is much, much easier to drive in the city than a Fortuner. Not as slim as a subcompact, but definitely has a better turning radius for parking, and being a sedan, is easier to point and shoot in traffic.
    Had the 2009 Altis MT. Realistically never reaches 8 km/l per liter in moderate to heavy traffic. I manually compute my FC because the on-board FC reading is usually flat out wrong. Sure, the FC reading will read over 8 km/l, but after the trip after and spending 2 to 3 hours in traffic that day my FC computation figures in the 6 to 7 km/l range depending on how bad the traffic actually is. Not the first time I had an issue with a less than accurate FC reading by the on-board computer. Been suffering the same with my Soul and Swift, although it's a bit more opposite with these two as actual fuel consumption is usually better than the on-board FC meter would indicate.

    Btw, I made a mistake with the width of the Fortuner. It's actually wider than an Altis still (72 in vs 70 in), but I've never really felt that the Altis was easier to drive around compared to our 2014 Sorento (and the many times I've driven a Montero and Fortuner) except when parking because of the length. Probably because it's a lot lower and I see less of the road.

    Quote Originally Posted by Egan101 View Post
    If you want a fun to drive car for 900k, the Fiesta Ecoboost is like a daily go kart. Unless you're too aggressive on acceleration and braking, FC will be around 9-10 km/L on city driving. It can do 20 km/L on the highway assuming you cruise at 80kmh doing less than 2000rpm. I have achieved 15 km/L averaging between 100-120 kmh. It is not as spacious as the City or Jazz or Vios but its driving dynamics and performance are much more than the rest of the competition.
    I've read more than a few cases of the Fiesta's EcoBoost engine having major issues down the line, mostly due to the turbo. Also, Ford's casa maintenance is extremely expensive and the Fiesta is quite cramped. Imo it's a hard sell at 900K unless a hot hatch for driving pleasure is specifically what the buyer is looking for. Btw in terms of driving dynamics and fun the Swift is more than a match for the non-EcoBoost Fiesta for less money. Was also considering the Fiesta before I got a Swift last month. Actually didn't mind the difference in sticker price, but was turned off by the cost of casa maintenance and heavier weight makes it less nimble and offsets the additional power by the larger 1.5 engine.

  9. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    16,293
    #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Kestana View Post
    Had the 2009 Altis MT. Realistically never reaches 8 km/l per liter in moderate to heavy traffic. I manually compute my FC because the on-board FC reading is usually flat out wrong. Sure, the FC reading will read over 8 km/l, but after the trip after and spending 2 to 3 hours in traffic that day my FC computation figures in the 6 to 7 km/l range depending on how bad the traffic actually is. Not the first time I had an issue with a less than accurate FC reading by the on-board computer. Been suffering the same with my Soul and Swift, although it's a bit more opposite with these two as actual fuel consumption is usually better than the on-board FC meter would indicate.

    Btw, I made a mistake with the width of the Fortuner. It's actually wider than an Altis still (72 in vs 70 in), but I've never really felt that the Altis was easier to drive around compared to our 2014 Sorento (and the many times I've driven a Montero and Fortuner) except when parking because of the length. Probably because it's a lot lower and I see less of the road.
    The '09 Altis has the older 3ZZ engine, as well as the older 5MT. We had an '09 Altis as well, but the 2.0 with the 4AT. That was able to do 7 km/L in moderate city traffic, so 8 km/L with the 1.6 MT isn't extraordinary.

    All my FC claims on this forum are also based on manual computations (hence the screenshot from my app). And I consistently get better than 8 km/L in city driving. All my measurements are over several hundred km, so variance vs MID is just around 2%.

  10. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    10,339
    #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Kestana View Post

    I've read more than a few cases of the Fiesta's EcoBoost engine having major issues down the line, mostly due to the turbo. Also, Ford's casa maintenance is extremely expensive and the Fiesta is quite cramped. Imo it's a hard sell at 900K unless a hot hatch for driving pleasure is specifically what the buyer is looking for. Btw in terms of driving dynamics and fun the Swift is more than a match for the non-EcoBoost Fiesta for less money. Was also considering the Fiesta before I got a Swift last month. Actually didn't mind the difference in sticker price, but was turned off by the cost of casa maintenance and heavier weight makes it less nimble and offsets the additional power by the larger 1.5 engine.
    Ford's maintenance cost is just about the same as Honda so it is still acceptable. Not sure about issues with the Ecoboost turbo but so far no such things were discussed in FCP unlike the tranny issues of some 2011-2012 Fiestas. Not sure if it's a hard sell but most TOTL subcompacts are already priced about the same. Honda City/Jazz VX+ models are just insane in terms of pricing. However, for a 30k difference over the TOTL Fiesta 1.5L models, the Fiesta Ecoboost is a good upgrade as 30k will not buy you an engine mod to achieve similar torque figures.


    *JayPi.23 - a budget of 1M will give you better options. Unless you're paying cash, a price difference of 100k thru Financing will not be that big of a difference in monthly loan payments. A compact is still a wise choice and most compacts are now within the 1M price.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Vios G AT, Honda City VX, Altis G MT and Elantra E MT