New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Toyota is giving out crazy discounts now for the Vios! They have so many new options and l also love the dark grey color that just came out. Since there isn't any news on the full model change for the 2013 Vios, I'm looking into buying one soon. However, I can't decide whether to get a Manual or Automatic Transmission.

I do not pass any traffic on my daily route so I am comfortable driving a manual. I also like the control of a manual transmission plus it's cheaper to maintain. Also, for highway driving, won't the 1.5 G M/T be more economical compared to the 1.3 G A/T?

However, my family is convincing me to get an A/T for convenience since I have no assurance that my daily route will always be traffic-free. I am hesitant to get an A/T car because I don't know the proper way of driving an A/T. It's also more expensive to maintain since I plan to keep the Vios for 5-10 years. Another concern would be I cannot jump start an A/T since I always wait for the battery to die down before replacing it.

My current car, a 1.6 feels so heavy to drive (?) since I was used to my previous car which was a 2.0. If I get a 1.3 in A/T won't that feel heavier to drive? Or should I just get a 1.3 G in M/T? :P

VIOS 1.3 G A/T Php743,000.00
    VIOS 1.3 G M/T Php708,000.00
    VIOS 1.5 G M/T Php785,000.00

2. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Cathy_for_you View Post
    Toyota is giving out crazy discounts now for the Vios! They have so many new options and l also love the dark grey color that just came out. Since there isn't any news on the full model change for the 2013 Vios, I'm looking into buying one soon. However, I can't decide whether to get a Manual or Automatic Transmission.

I do not pass any traffic on my daily route so I am comfortable driving a manual. I also like the control of a manual transmission plus it's cheaper to maintain. Also, for highway driving, won't the 1.5 G M/T be more economical compared to the 1.3 G A/T?

However, my family is convincing me to get an A/T for convenience since I have no assurance that my daily route will always be traffic-free. I am hesitant to get an A/T car because I don't know the proper way of driving an A/T. It's also more expensive to maintain since I plan to keep the Vios for 5-10 years. Another concern would be I cannot jump start an A/T since I always wait for the battery to die down before replacing it.

My current car, a 1.6 feels so heavy to drive (?) since I was used to my previous car which was a 2.0. If I get a 1.3 in A/T won't that feel heavier to drive? Or should I just get a 1.3 G in M/T? :P

VIOS 1.3 G A/T Php743,000.00
    VIOS 1.3 G M/T Php708,000.00
    VIOS 1.5 G M/T Php785,000.00
    Your family has a point. Get an A/T. My wife drives a 1.3 A/T (I drive it too). It's zippy for a 1.3 A/T IMHO. I'm used to driving heavy and bulkier cars, so that Vios is a welcome respite for me.

Get a test drive then decide.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    If you feel the m/t suits you best then go for it

4. Join Date
    Jun 2012
    if no one else will drive the car, M/T na. yan ang gusto mo e. wala naman traffic sa daily route mo. kung minsan lang naman may traffic, ok lang yun. ang nakakatamad sa M/T pag yung araw araw na traffic. plus easy maintenance

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    sa akin, mas sulit pa din ang MT.

6. Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Depends on how much you value convenience and if you may want to lend your vehicle someday to somebody else in the family.

Maintenance for AT is just the AT oil. There are various price ranges available from expensive to cheap AT lubricants out there. The standard AT can last 5++ years easy and even more if its well-maintained

I am hesitant to get an A/T car because I don't know the proper way of driving an A/T.
    It's like driving MT without the clutch pedal and the stick. Well there's a stick, but you just alternate between Park, Reverse, Neutral and Drive, hehe! You'll figure out how to give hints to the AT to upshift or downshift eventually.

Another concern would be I cannot jump start an A/T since I always wait for the battery to die down before replacing it.
    Totoo? Why not? Also, contrary to popular belief, AT cars can be towed. Just shift to N or in the worst case, most cars have the shift-lock release override where you can shift to N. Just don't let your vehicle be towed on P. Or if there's a choice, go for the flat-bed truck.

7. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by fleas2016 View Post
    Totoo? Why not? Also, contrary to popular belief, AT cars can be towed. Just shift to N or in the worst case, most cars have the shift-lock release override where you can shift to N. Just don't let your vehicle be towed on P. Or if there's a choice, go for the flat-bed truck.
    The A/T Vios has a manual shift lock release. I use this to push or pull the car around our garage. Yup, it can be towed using N (Neutral). And yes, automatic cars can be towed (with care). I for one have had many experiences on towing automatic transmission cars of a generation ago ..

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Bring a good set of jumper cables. And flag down a cabbie if you have battery trouble.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by OTEP View Post
    Bring a good set of jumper cables. And flag down a cabbie if you have battery trouble.
    If C4U is lucky, its Mr. Lowslowbenz himself who'll jump out and help with his jumper cables.

I agree though with getting an a/t if this is going to be mostly used in going around the city. My daily drives are all m/t and its starting to get on me already. It's not much of a trouble to tow and maintain an a/t vehicle really.

If you want a 1.5L a/t in that budget range, would you consider a Yaris?

10. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by vinj View Post
    If C4U is lucky, its Mr. Lowslowbenz himself who'll jump out and help with his jumper cables.
    Hahaha .. No comment!

Quote Originally Posted by vinj View Post
    My daily drives are all m/t and its starting to get on me already.
    Bout time on getting a matic runabout Primo ..

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast