The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2014
    If your child is going to go to college or kung college ka ngayon
    and will be driving on their own
    and he wanted A 1st gen expedition, early 200 volvo,BMW or SUV
    ano ibibgay nyo
    Last edited by crosswind; August 9th, 2014 at 08:22 PM.

2. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Japanese. With that age you may have problems with parts and downtime.

Posted via Tsikot Mobile App

3. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    What do you mean by your gonna drive by himself?

If I had a son, I'll give him what he wants as long as I could afford it. He'll have a set gas allowance though.
    Last edited by _Cathy_; August 9th, 2014 at 08:04 PM.

4. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by crosswind View Post
    If your child is going to go to college or kung college ka ngayon
    your gonna drive by himself
    and he wanted A 1st gen expedition, early 200 volvo,BMW or SUV
    ano ibibgay nyo
    Among these choices, the Expedition may be the easiest to find parts for. However, I really don't understand why you'd want to get a gas guzzler for a college car. If you can afford the gas bills this kind of cars rack up, you'd most likely be able to afford a much newer, more fuel efficient vehicle.

Personally, if I were gonna get a 2nd hand car for college, I'd probably get a Fieldmaster Pajero. It's not very fast, built like a tank, and is easy to maintain. All good points for a novice driver.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

5. Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by _Cathy_ View Post
    What do you mean by your gonna drive by himself?

If I had a son, I'll give him what he wants as long as I could afford it. He'll have a set gas allowance though.
    Thanks,i already edited it

6. Join Date
    Jan 2012
    In that group, an expedition is the easiest to get parts for, and contrary to opinions, is decently priced. However its pretty bad as a sole college car, difficult to park, difficult to manuever, and excluding admu/dlsu/ua&p/endurun is too flash to be seen using everyday, especially as a freshman

If you get a volvo or bmw he'll be commuting more because he cant find any parts.

A japanese or korean car would be a better choice. A Civic FD would be perfect balance of "porma" and running costs

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    A 3-door pajero. Suv for the floods, but small enough for those school parking lots. Not to mention not big enough for it to be your kid's motel on wheels. Di pa kinacarnap.
    Last edited by yebo; August 9th, 2014 at 11:03 PM.

8. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    An Expedition is a terrible car for a first time driver. Hard to park. Hard to drive in traffic. Weak brakes, given its size and power... so simple fender benders are likely unavoidable... and it's huge, so your son will become the "taxi ng bayan" at school.

An old Volvo in that range (what is the range, 300-400 thousand) will likely be one of the older ones... pre-Ford Volvo. Good luck finding parts. Even the one based on the Mitsubishi Carisma is dreadful hard to find parts for.

Old BMW... uh... no. Expensive parts... poor fuel economy. Slow (If we're talking E36 or E46 316 or 318...) as molasses.

-

Why get him a headache? The kid should be going to college to study... not to learn the ins and outs of repairing a cruddy old secondhand and trawling the Banawe area for parts!

For that much money, get him a new-ish (3-5 year old) secondhand Japanese sedan. Much easier to park. Much more economical. Much less time spent stranded waiting for repairs.

Or, if floods are a concern... and if you really want to get him a "luxury" car... 95' Landcruiser. But be prepared to pay through the nose for it. ...snorkel ready and about 350k secondhand... Jimny. Not very fuel efficient, but much better than an LC or an Expedition... not big, so no barkada trips... flood-proofing is just a 20k snorkel away... and it's easy to drive, easy to park and not embarrassing to be seen in.
    Last edited by niky; August 10th, 2014 at 12:04 AM.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

9. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Why the oddball choices?

10. Join Date
    Aug 2011
    On a practical side, Just buy a new vehicle within your means. Less headache. Period

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast