New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    I’ve read a few threads where these vehicles were placed head-to-head against other cars. In fact, there’s already a thread about a Captiva-Fortuner comparo. But I find that you guys give better advice when the dilemma is presented more clearly.

So here it goes.

I have a daily car. It’s a Hyundai. However, even with all the PR job HARI’s money can buy, I’ve come to accept that it’s not as durable as my old Corolla. Also, I’ve been greatly disappointed with their modus in guise of a 5-year warranty. But because it’s nimble and sweet on the gas, I’ve decided to keep it for rush hour driving. I’m just no longer bringing it to the casa. And I want something else.

Anyhow, we’re looking for a 2nd hand car. The wife wants a 7-seater. The budget’s pretty limited, 650-700k. I saw the some decent looking Fortuners (07) within this price range with mileage somewhere between 50-80k. Now, for the same price, I saw some Captivas (08-09) with less mileage (15-40k) and with diesel engine.

I know the Fort’s 2 years older and have been driven more, but it still looks good. I’m far from thinking about the resale value. I think my consideration now is, because they’re both old, which would cost more to maintain? And perhaps, you can educate me about the average life expectancy of both cars. Is the Captiva gonna be just like my Hyundai, most of its potential are experienced in the first few years and then it slowly feels like driving a, well, Korean car from the 90s? (heck, my Hyundai’s casa-maintained, but it feels outdated now) I’ve heard the Captiva consumes less fuel and drives pretty well. Are these enough reasons for me to consider it over the Fortuner? Our next vehicle will be alternated with the Hyundai. In fact, I think I’ll still drive the Hyundai more often because of the traffic.

I am yet to do a test drive. I like the looks of both cars. We are a family of 3 with a yaya. We’ll probably have more people ride with us on weekends, but that won’t be a routine. I ride folding bikes, so I think the space at the back will be for our bikes. I drive mostly through the city, but we take long road trips once in a while.

Is there anything I’m missing here? TIA.

(Please don’t mention the Innova. The wife likes it. I think it’s a great vehicle. It consumes less gas, drives pretty well, sturdy. But I just don’t like the way it looks.)

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Never personally owned a Captiva but per my Tito's feedback, it's a good vehicle and was good in the power department but niggles started coming out after the 3rd year with his regular use (including the driver's door handle strangely breaking off). If you're going used and given your criteria on something being surely durable then the Fortuner may be the safer choice.

3. Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Fortuner for me...

4. Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Fortuner for me, mas reliable in the long run....

5. Join Date
    Jun 2012
    also fortuner for me, may pagdududa sa captiva e. dito, not much

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    anyone will do BASTA SURE KA NA HINDI NA-ONDOY.

my friend has a captiva, almost 5 years old na. ok naman daw, tipid sa diesel, no problems so far. it is not even casa maintained as he is like me, does not care about the warranty after the first 12 months or 20,000km. take note, the luggage space of the captiva is even less than that of the santa fe/sorento. duffle bag lang malalagay mo dun. for you to be able to put anything you will have to fold the 3rd row seats. or invext in a roof rack.

as for the fort, mas malaki ang fort sa captiva. rides higher. too. more parts sa banawe. if you will keep it for a long time then i think you will be better off buying the fortuner. i never owned one but have driven and rode it several times. only complaint i have is it is matagtag.

7. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Toyota Fortuner for me, obviously!

If I get a GM (Chevy), at least it must be one of those North American models. Re-badged, asian GM's just don't cut it for me.

8. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Know that the Captiva is actually also a Korean car. It's a rebadged Daewoo and is CBU Korea. Its a nice car, but you may have trouble with maintenance and parts. With the 150hp VCDi engine, this is a fast car, considering that the old Santa Fe with the 150hp 2.2 engine is already smoking 3.0L Fortuner's. But then its even smaller than the Santa Fe, so interior room is rather compromised.

The Fortuner is OK, especially if you go through the rough stuff a lot. The 3.0 is fast, but gas mileage is not good. 2.5 (Innova engine) gives good gas mileage, but has less power than many old school diesels. Interior is cramped, and older versions tend to have poor ride quality as well.

Why don't you consider the Everest TDCi? Very masculine, 2.5L engine gives good punch, interior's spacious and its very, very durable. Just don't expect too much in the ride comfort department.

9. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Fortuner na, make sure lang na hindi nabaha.

10. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    I trust the Captiva's VM Motori fuel system more than the Fort's Denso system, but I have a feeling the Toyota's more robust underchassis will be easier to maintain.

Not because it's a Toyota, mind you, but because it's a truck, whereas the Captiva is a crossover.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Used Chevrolet Captiva vs. Used Toyota Fortuner