New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Help me up guys!
    I'm trying to decide between Hyundai Tucson 2WD gas auto, Hyundai Tucson 2WD CRDi auto, Honda CRV Select or Ford Everest 2WD. Here's what i've gathered so far:

Hyundai Tucson 2WD gas auto
    price: P948,000
    advantage: ***y and at the same time macho look
    disadvantage: no air bags, no ABS

Hyundai Tucson 2WD CRDi auto
    price: P1,078,000
    advantage: cheaper diesel consumption, air bags, ABS
    disadvantage: diesel is noisy, with vibration and possible smoke emission

Honda CRV Select auto (the "Select" meant fewer accessories)
    price: P1,050,000
    advantage: with airbags and ABS
    disadvantage: I heard this model didn't really change except for headlights and tail lights, and that a new CRV is coming out

Ford Everest 2WD
    price: P999,000 (on sale right now, down from P1,065,000)
    advantage: cheaper diesel consumption, with airbags
    disadvantage: no ABS, again diesel prone to noise, vibration and possible smoke emission

So what do you think?
    1. Should I settle for gas? If so, then its a choice between Tucson gas and Honda CRV Select.
    2. Should I settle for diesel? If so, then its a choice between Tucson CRDi and Ford Everest.

So what should I buy????

2. Join Date
    May 2005
    Of the three I would get the "Hyundai Tucson 2WD CRDi auto" for its price point relative to the competition and for its safety features (abs and air bags) that has finally been included. I tested the Tucson 4WD CRDi a few months ago and the diesel did not have the usual loud clatter and vibrations of a typical diesel engine. Instead it was quite quiet (although you could FAINTLY hear some diesel clatter outside if you listen carefully) and its transmission shifted very smoothly (no shift shock).

Don't let those images of those big buses and trucks in EDSA, spouting off huge clouds of black smoke into the air, discourage you from diesel. It does not get near anything that bad. Generally-speaking regarding the black smoke from diesels, I think expect a little bit of black smoke but it can be greatly minimized by regular maintenance work. Modern CDDi technology has done tremendous wonders to make diesel even more acceptable.

The CRV select ed. is also an ok choice. But it guzzles gas like there's no tomorrow and the all-new model will be out in the Philippines market by the first half of next year.

In terms of interior appointment, I like the CRV better. The Tucson has a poorly styled interior.

For me, I wouldnt get the Ford Everest esp. if you just do city driving. This one is bumpier than your other two choices and for some reason it feels very cramped inside (if you are tall, your shins might start to hit your chin). This one is also going to be replaced some time this year, if not, next year, which explains Ford's sudden burst of generous sales terms.
    Last edited by number001; August 12th, 2006 at 11:40 PM.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    thanks for the insight.
    Hearing that Honda and Everest will change their models, i'll therefore decide to go with the Tucson.
    Question now is if its 2WD gas or CRDi.
    From my latest check, CRDi costs P1,078,000, up from 1,058,000 last month. That would mean a price difference of P130,000 from the 2WD CVVT which is P948,000.

I'm still quite apprehensive with the CRDi..... Why don't they have it in the US? They only have the gas version that we have and the V6 version. They do have the CRDi in australia and europe but couldn't find any good reviews.

Would you know of any weblink to user reviews?

4. Join Date
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by leovl View Post
    thanks for the insight.
    Hearing that Honda and Everest will change their models, i'll therefore decide to go with the Tucson.
    From my latest check, CRDi costs P1,078,000, up from 1,058,000 last month. That would mean a price difference of P130,000 from the 2WD CVVT which is P948,000.

I'm still quite apprehensive with the CRDi..... Why don't they have it in the US? They only have the gas version that we have and the V6 version. They do have the CRDi in australia and europe but couldn't find any good reviews.

You also have to take into consideration the 4x2 Tucson gas has no safety features like the ABS and airbags. This might be the reason for the price discrepancy and of course diesel engine is a little bit more costly than gas engine.

In Europe, they use lots of diesel engine there like cars from Audi, Bmw, Mercedes Benz, etc. bec. fuel prices there are one of the most expensive in the world. The fact that they sell and use diesel Tucsons in the Australia and Europe mean that it passed their stringent emission requirements. That is enough assurance, at least for me.

The Tucson owners in this forum seem to have no significant problems with their units and mostly have praise for it. Read more:

http://tsikot.yehey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25710

5. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    here's to give you an idea about CRDi Turbo vs Gas:
    (note that CRDi is different from CRDi Turbo)

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/road_tests/index.htm?id=206

http://www.indiacar.com/infobank/art...son/tucson.asp
    Last edited by Horsepower; August 13th, 2006 at 02:41 PM.

6. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Help me up guys!

Hyundai Tucson 2WD CRDi auto
    price: P1,078,000
    advantage: cheaper diesel consumption, air bags, ABS
    disadvantage: diesel is noisy, with vibration and possible smoke emission
    Driver and passenger-side airbags?

7. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsepower View Post
    here's to give you an idea about CRDi Turbo vs Gas:
    (note that CRDi is different from CRDi Turbo)

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/road_tests/index.htm?id=206

http://www.indiacar.com/infobank/art...son/tucson.asp
    Just some clarification...
    You mean there's CRDi and CRDi Turbo???? From the brochure I received, there's only CRDi 4WD and CRDi 2WD and both have CRDi Turbo Intercooler. Please clarify.

Somebody also said that there's CRDi and CRDi VVT???
    Now I'm getting quite confused. I thought it was just one CRDi engine and you just have to choose between 2WD or 4WD.

The link from indiacar.com was useful. Thanks! Don't know though if it was talking of the same engine as here in the Philippines.

The link from honestjohn.com.uk talks about the Hyundai Sta Fe, so don't know if the Sta Fe shares the same engine as the Tucson CRDi.

Clarifications please.

8. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by rj_tim View Post
    Driver and passenger-side airbags?
    The quote I got says that the tucson CRDi 2WD GL comes with driver side airbag, ABS, electronic brake force distribution and traction control system for the price of P1,078,000

So I guess for P130,000 (tucson gas 2WD is P948,000), you get the more powerful diesel engine plus the above inclusions.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    i like the Tucson gas AT if compared with the CRV. ive heard sobrang lakas sa gas ng CRV AT, mas malakas pa sa gen1 CRV(97-01). its cheaper and looks good. kung manual, opposite ako.

kung Tucson CRDi vs Everest, id get the Everest. with more seats, bigger engine and truck based, it should be sturdy. its a good value too for 999K.

overall, Everest ako.

p.s although lapit na rin eto palitan.

10. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    thanks for the insight.

They don't sell the diesel version in the US because diesel has never sold well in the US, because gas prices have been relatively low and is in fact cheaper than diesel fuel. Also the the US will be using a new type of lower sulfur content diesel fuel. Most people in the US that buy diesel engine vehicles get a Ford F-250/350 or something similar in size.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Tucson or CRV or Everest