New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by redMD View Post
    is there anyone who can give us a review on these two vans? in terms of riding pleasure and capacity who stands out? parang massive kasi dating ng grandia (massive na ref ) na may maliliit na gulong. on the otherhand mas maporma dating ng starex
    Here's the thread from 2 months ago regarding Hyundai Grand Starex vs. Toyota Super Grandia: http://tsikot.yehey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46210

You're correct, the Super Grandia is massive as it's taller than the Grand Starex (but the Grand Starex is a bit wider). It has more interior space for the passengers simply because the driver and front passenger are positioned right above the front wheels compared to the Grand Starex. Also, the Grand Starex 12 seater doesn't have a flexible seating arrangement compared to the 10 seater version that has swiveling 2nd row seats.

Why Toyota uses only 195s on 15 inch rims is beyond me...perhaps to save on fuel consumption? (Imagine if they had 235/70/R16 tires) :car:

Overall, I'd still pick the Grand Starex being the driver majority of the time. If I would rarely drive the van, it'll be a Super Grandia for me.

2. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Grand Starex.

sa engine power pa lang.. 174hp vs 102hp (grandia)

Mas mura din Grand Starex kasi yung Grandia 1.9M (nung bumili tito ko last yr, so mas mahal siguro ngayon).

OK ang grandia kung gusto mo ng mukhang mini bus (kaya siguro maliit gulong nya).

yung Grand Starex, luxurious talaga. lalo pag tumatakbo sa daan, ganda ng takbo nya.

3. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    pare ikaw yung my friend na from REPO BPI? pwede ko bang makuha yung contact number? salamat

4. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    From a drivers point of view, I'll go for the Starex, underpowered yata yung Grandia correct me if I'm wrong pero yung 2.5 D4D engine ng Grandia is only 102hp (same engine as Innova D4D and Fortuner 4x2 D4D) whereas yung sa Grand Starex 174hp yata. Another thing that I like about the Starexes old and new is that yung design nya na nasa harap yung engine rather than under the driver so mas hindi mainit for the driver and not to mention that it is much safer dahil hindi sya flat nosed so in the event of an accident yung engine muna ang tatamaan sa Starex, unlike sa Hiace, derecho kaagad sa front passenger/driver ang disgracia.

5. Join Date
    Feb 2006
    I find the Super Grandia a bit too spartan. Ride is harsh in the back. If you have a driver and a BIG family, the Super Grandia is a better choice in terms of space/practicality. Leaf springs are tuned to carry lots of people and cargo.

Since I don't have a driver, I'd have to put the Starex over the Super Grandia. It is more maneuverable and has a better driving position (personally). Driving the Toyota feels like driving a mini bus.

The Super Grandia's engine is quite noisy. Especially during spirited driving. The Starex (VGT) somehow has better noise isolation than the Toyota. In terms of engine-transmission tuning however, I'd have to give this to Toyota. Engine is very smooth in all power ranges and the additional 500cc feels much stronger.

HTH

6. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    how about resale value? ok ba resale value ng starex? ok ba performance ng starex after 3 or more years of use? i'm also anticipating future problems kasi mahirap din magmaintain. tnx

7. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by redMD View Post
    how about resale value? ok ba resale value ng starex? ok ba performance ng starex after 3 or more years of use? i'm also anticipating future problems kasi mahirap din magmaintain. tnx
    resale po mas mataas siguro GRANDIA.

8. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    ayaw ko lang sa starex hindi detailed .. i mean walang rear wiper, hindi body-color ang side mirror .. hindi leather ang seats .. hindi standard ang third brakelight (optional lng sa spoiler .. weak ang suspension pag mejo lubak and slightly loaded ..

9. Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Radical! View Post
    The Super Grandia's engine is quite noisy. Especially during spirited driving. The Starex (VGT) somehow has better noise isolation than the Toyota. In terms of engine-transmission tuning however, I'd have to give this to Toyota. Engine is very smooth in all power ranges and the additional 500cc feels much stronger.
    Both the Super Grandia and Grand Starex have 2500 cc engines. ;)

10. Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by isketi View Post
    Both the Super Grandia and Grand Starex have 2500 cc engines. ;)
    I stand corrected. Hiace models indeed have 2.5L D4D engines.

Thanks for the heads up isketi.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
TOYOTA SUPER GRANDIA vs. HYUNDAI STAREX