New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2003
    what would you recommend as a family hauler, weekend trip to tagaytay or baguio ...
    i have 3 kids (9, 4 and 3), my wife and if with yaya's(probably 2) so total 7 people will ride the car...
    i chose this two because of the price (almost 100k difference)
    thanks and more power
    in terms of durability, availability of parts, cheaper to maintain and long term use (maybe 7-8 years)

2. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    I think wala na ang Previa dito... Upon the release of the Alphard, Toyota has slowly and quietly phased it out. But even if there is the Previa, I would not be getting it over the Explorer. Yes it is comfy and spacious but then its way too expensive for what you get. Performance and fuel economy isn't good either with that 2.4L engine. With the Explorer, you get all the new stuff, and even if the gas mileage isn't nice, at least you get the good performance. And then the higher ground clearance is also a boon should you venture deeper into the less civilized parts of Baguio like the way to Balatok Mines, for example. If you're getting the Previa, you might as well get a grey market 2.2R Carnival and it'll trump the Previa in space, power, fuel economy, still retain the comfy ride and power doors and have a lower price.

3. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Not considering the Starex?

Almost carlike steering and oodles of power from the VGT engine.

Lots of space too.

Price undercutting the Previa by almost 600k. (1.7M for the almost top of the line variant)

Comes with captain seats + jump seat (2nd row) and bench (3rd row).

Will seat everyone and your out of town luggage comfortably IMO.

4. Join Date
    Jul 2011
    The new explorer is the bomb... Good interior and exterior...
    Alphard is better for comfort

5. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    The Explorer is wider in the second row than either the Previa or the Alphard, though the second row captain's chairs in both Previa and Alphard are really nice.

If the 2.4 Previa were still on the market, it'd be a good choice. Not much narrower than the Alphard, and a bit more practical. Fuel economy isn't exceptional, but it's still better than the Explorer or Alphard, and not too far off a 2.4 Camry. Only problem is: It's expensive. A fully lloaded Grand Starex HVX (not the limo) would be better value for the money. Doesn't ride as comfortably as the other cars in this equation, but it's powerful, relatively economical, and is better quality than you might think.

The Explorer has a ton of bells and whistles compared to the Alphard, and has a better sound system to boot. But it's an SUV, and as such, doesn't have the walk-in spaciousness of a van.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

6. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    I would take the Explorer, simply because you will enjoy driving and having it longer than either the Alphard of Previa. Doesn't take long to get board with vans IMHO. Now if you will be chauffeured then that's another story.

7. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    You'd be surprised.

The Explorer drives well, but it's still a very heavy truck with an intrusive stability control system.

The Previa drives just like a Camry. Even better, as it's set slightly stiffer to compensate for the taller body.

The Alphard drives just like a Camry V6. Very sharp. Very fast. Lots of fun. If I recall right, it hits 100 km/h faster than the Explorer.

8. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    You'd be surprised.

The Explorer drives well, but it's still a very heavy truck with an intrusive stability control system.

The Previa drives just like a Camry. Even better, as it's set slightly stiffer to compensate for the taller body.

The Alphard drives just like a Camry V6. Very sharp. Very fast. Lots of fun. If I recall right, it hits 100 km/h faster than the Explorer.

I'm sure the previa and the alphard drives much better, heck my innova drives better than any SUV I've owned. Has something to do with the short nose being a van I guess. It's how boring those two look even with the premium price they command. Once you've gotten used to the gadgets they offer in the interior it becomes bland. I'm looking at the lines of aesthetics and appeal with this one.

9. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Granted, the Explorer looks prettier, but I think the Alphard more than gets the job done.

Oh well, different strokes for different folks.

10. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    Granted, the Explorer looks prettier, but I think the Alphard more than gets the job done.

Oh well, different strokes for different folks.
    I understand where you are coming from, i've made decisions on 2 previous car purchase with the same mentality. I guess I get bored very easily. lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
toyota previa vs 2012 ford explorer