New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by juggernaut View Post
    To all fortuner faithfuls, face the fact that it has not tested to any safety standard because toyota know it will not pass YET. IMO they spend less money on R & D with this vehicle. That is why you can only see fortuner running on the street where there is less safety standard requirement and even none. While STA FE... hands down.
    Hay nako... This is a perfect example of a "not-so-well-thought-out" post... Research before posting please.
    Last edited by vicoyski; August 26th, 2006 at 08:06 PM.

2. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by vicoyski View Post
    Hay nako... This is a perfect example of a "not-so-well-thought-out" post... Research before posting please.
    -----------------------

My fellow enthusiasts, we may agree or disagree on certain points and principles however bear in mind that everyone is entitled to their own opinion and may be due to past or existing experiences. Moreover, it is in these forums that we learn and likewise benefit from each others' post by exchanging views in the most civilized manner, and it is for this reason that I again reiterate my deepest respect and gratitude as a newcomer for all the "posting veterans" and founders of this site...

3. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by DocGM View Post
    -----------------------

My fellow enthusiasts, we may agree or disagree on certain points and principles however bear in mind that everyone is entitled to their own opinion and may be due to past or existing experiences. Moreover, it is in these forums that we learn and likewise benefit from each others' post by exchanging views in the most civilized manner, and it is for this reason that I again reiterate my deepest respect and gratitude as a newcomer for all the "posting veterans" and founders of this site...
    Like you said, an opinion is to be respected. But, opinions should be well thought out and should have actual fact as basis. Wouldn't you think it more beneficial for all of us to get factual opinions, rather than simple retorts? No one is above correction. I myself have learned this the hard way from the moderators when I started out in this respectable forum. But, this is OT already...

:peace: Peace...

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Why do some guys complain about the height of the Fort. It is, of course, a large SUV. It is not meant to go fast around corners. It will roll-over for sure. The Santa Fe is a cross-over SUV, so it will have a lesser (but not zero) probability of roll-over.
    I don't know. Maybe they like it low. hehehe. I have a lifted rig. The shiny side is still on top as of press time.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

5. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by OTEP View Post
    First generation Xterras used the D21 platform (aka our Frontier today). Newer models run off the D22 if I'm not mistaken.

The U.S. does have more legislation primarily because everyone is lawsuit happy. Even the Jeep Liberty baby stroller got a recall! As for having more practial and useful guidelines, the Aussies (at least for me) win hands down. Though I'm still not a fan of ADR legislation limiting tire height on vehicles (including off-roaders).

COG is not as simple as looking at width and height. COG connotes where most of the weight is concentrated and how high it is off the ground. A ladder-frame (compared to a monocoque with ALL other things being equal) will have a lower COG primarily because frames are very heavy and have to sit low to accomodate the body. Of course compared to a Sta. Fe, the Fortuner will still have a higher COG as almost everything on the SF is lower slung (powertrain, body, suspension, etc.).
    The Pathfinder/Terrano used the D21 platform and the 1st gen Xterra used the 1st gen Frontier D22 platform. The current one uses the F-Alpha of the Titan pickup and is shared with the current Frontier.

6. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by DocGM View Post
    My fellow enthusiasts it seems that I have been misunderstood. Never have I said in my statement that the USA would be the ultimate standard for safety...

What I simply meant was as compared to the rest of the world and from "my" personal experience(just my take... you may have your own too! to share) having travelled a lot and drove in these countries and abided by their laws and policies; especially in Australia where I stayed and drove for almost a year in and out of its cities and outbacks during my fellowship training, I can say that the Americans do take "more seriously" their vehicle safety standards.

The Fortuner is a great vehicle! No doubt about it, it was even my first choice for months, however upon driving it (my cousin bought one kasi upon my advise; hehehe) , the ladder on frame did very little justice to it thus what you have is a bumpy ride.

By the way, you can never compare the FJ or the Hummer regarding its ground clearance to the fortuner and say that it's even higher therefore the same stability! Did anybody observe the width of those vehicles? They were all greater than the height! Again basic physics, over all it has a lower center of gravity! Therefore more stable.

FJ Cruiser: Height--- 70.9"
    Width----74.6"
    Length---183.9"
    Ground clearance--- 8.7"
    Weight--------4290 lbs

Hummer H3: Height-----73.7"
    width------74.7"
    Length-----186.7
    Ground Clearance--9.1(if with 33" tires) (Standard ground clearance is 8.7 also)
    Weight------ 4700 lbs

Fortuner Height----72.83"
    Width-----72.4"
    Length---184.84"
    Ground Clearance----8.66"
    Weight: 4279 lbs

Just compare and you'd see what I mean

I drove an xterra in Canada it was never that bumpy, (ergo different frame and weight ratio distribution then maybe... mazdamazda has a point too) in fact as we speak newer SUVs with the same price range would definitely have a gentler drive... and this makes me vote for the Sta fe. too hands down.
    The ground clearance you used for the FJ is for the 4x2 the 4x4 is actually 9.6", just thought it might be fair to compare a 4x4 to a 4x4 since that's the one you used for the Fortuner. I can see one thing though the Fortuner is under powered if Toyota brought it to the US with the same engine choices, since everyone in it's size now has at least 239HP(FJ).

The width is based on the body not the track/thread of the truck, so in theory could put a H1 body on the frame of a Fortuner and have it wider but the track/thread would still be narrow. The track/thread of a Fortuner is within a couple of inches of the others so rollover shouldn't be any worst. As someone said it's not made to corner so it's shouldn't be driven like a sportscar. As far as the Xterra not being bumpy , maybe compared to a pick up but compared to others in it's class it's bumpy. But it's the price you pay to have a 4x4 that can go anywhere. Was it a 1st gen or 2nd gen that you drove? They are like night and day when driven back to back.

7. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Come to think of it, the Fortuner whether 4x2 or 4x4 had indeed the same ground clearance based on actual measurements and company specs...

So it would still be viable to use the FJ ground clearance as comparison wouldn't it? because indeed... that's what you used.

Then maybe if a bigger engine would've been placed could it have made a difference for stability due to more weight distribution? as you said it would've been underpowered as compared with the other existing toyota models there...almost 70 Hp is a lot of difference and extra weight!

A lot of what ifs indeed! Hehehe

The xterra I think was the 1st gen version way back in 2001?
    I can never forget that ride though, due to a lot of off road farm visits but still had a cushy ride, as compared to our present fortuner on our concrete roads and not on existing peer class models there in the USA.

As one of the posters here said there are tradeoffs, and sadly here we get more expensive vehicles with much lesser and downgraded versions and quality... Although in my personal opinion we are inching and catching up

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Ground clearance is measured at the lowest point of the vehicle. (usually under the differential) so it's a pretty pointless basis as to how likely a vehicle will roll over.

What makes a vehicle look high or tall is usually how high the body is over the frame. Take for example the Fortuner, take of the sidesteps and you are already looking at the frame rails. The body is just plunked on top. This may seem stupid. But variants of the Fortuner are actually designed to go off-road. Hence putting the body high up above the frame rails and farther from harm's way makes sense.

Same case with my Pajero. Measurement under the diff is just a bit more than most SUV's and pick ups in the market today. But the body is high-mounted. Step-in height is at the level of my knee already. And since I don't have side steps (they'd just get bent), I've had to push a lola by her butt just to get her up into my rig. Girls with miniskirts better not try to clamber in while I'm the driver's seat unless they want me to see what color they are wearing that day (if they are indeed wearing any).

In contrast check out a Kia Sorento. It doesn't even have sidesteps because the body is low slung and hugging the frame already. You'd have to be standing on your head already just to see the frame rails on that thing.

The Sta. Fe which has no frame rails allows for an even more low slung body since the suspension, engine and other major bits bolt up onto the monocoque. But ground clearance is still measured at the lowest point of the vehicle (the rear diff or the diff cradle in the case of 4x2's).

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

9. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Pinalitan pala title nitong thread...

In that case, I would choose the 4x2 Fort over the 4x2 Santa Fe. The price of the 4x2 Santa Fe is just too much to swallow! Mas value for money yung 4x4 V6 na Santa Fe.

Why do some guys complain about the height of the Fort? It is, of course, a large SUV. It is not meant to go fast around corners. It will roll-over for sure. The Santa Fe is a cross-over SUV, so it will have a lesser (but not zero) probability of roll-over.
    value for money talaga 4x2 Fortuner over 4x2 Sta. Fe. but that's the only advantage sa tingin ko. the risk of catching the D4D bug even makes the 200K difference between 4x2 Fortuner and 4x2 Sta Fe acceptable.

regarding height, well hehehe. maybe before the Fortuner was conceptualized, Toyota or Toyota thailand conducted a survey among SEAs.
    and the common desire/preference was taller cars, taller than Expeditions/suburbans/Pajeros, hence, Thailand designed it to be the tallest, ala monster truck.

10. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by number001 View Post
    I agree, top end speed of the 2.7 vvti is quick enough and 4.0li is not needed afterall the Fortuner is an SUV and not a sports touring car. Although, I think the 2.7 vvti just needs better torque..
    i agree that "quick enough" is the accurate way of putting it since its just appropriate for most local driving conditions sa pinas.. driving conditions in the US however is much different where you need more power to safely navigate thru those frequent merging into the freeways and for those very long &/or hilly drives...

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Toyota Fortuner 4x2 2.5D4d vs. Hyundai Sta. Fe 4x2 2.2Crdi