New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Aug 2010
    I'm planning a '90s car restoration project. Which one would be a better choice, Toyota Corolla GL (AE92) or Honda Civic ESi (EG)? I want to achieve a clean, original look and with more options in tweaking the overall engine and handling performance. Also need to consider the pros and cons of each model. Thanks in advance!

2. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    EG syempre! Sobrang luma na yung AE92, although siguro kapag AE101 mas ipag-iisipan ko. A full JDM conversion for an AE101 sounds nice, along with multireflector headlamps and a 4AGE blacktop. But as it is, the EG has the better underchassis and engine (if you are planning to keep the original engine, that is). Yun nga lang you have to be wary of it's rust issues.

3. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Ako naman mas type ko yung AE92, its looks have aged better as compared to the EG.

4. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Restoration-wise, both cars still have abundant parts in the local surplus shops and auto supplies (for the wear-and-tear parts) which are especially important to achieve your desired clean, original look.

However ...

Overall engine tweaking (options and all that) = ESi
    Its fuel-injected PH16 engine is known to have huge torque and power potentials comparable to JDM engines of its class.
    Not to mention that its OBD-1 engine control unit is an easy-to-tune (dyno or street-wise) brainhouse be it on re-chips, cross-ECU taps, piggyback fuel controllers or standalone engine management.

I have nothing against the AE92's carburated stock engine (4A-F 16-valve). They're one of the most solid engines I've seen, but they're pretty straightforward and nothing of it stands out special in its class (locally). Talk about twin-side Webers or 4AGEs and that's a different story.

Handling performance = ESi
    Its double wishbone suspension (used by Benzes) is superior compared to the more basic McPherson in the AE. Again, it's one of the ESi's unique selling point so wonderful the same suspension was used til the sportier SiR model of the sixth generation. Well yes, blame it for the "more expensive" reputation of Honda parts.

Pros and cons
    First off, they're not a direct (and bitter) competition to each other, with bias on the ESi being the latter model. I don't want to compare on this, but you'll give it a better comparo against the EE100 GLi (aka Big Body). BTW, what we have here is the EE90, not the JDM-version AE92.

HTH

Last edited by isa1023; March 3rd, 2012 at 06:22 AM.

5. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Clean original look? Nothing beats a fully-restored AE92. You can buy a unit for as low as 70k. Running condition.

If you are a speed freak, prepare 70k max. for an engine swap. - 4AGE Blacktop.

4AGE Silvertop (57k)
    4EFTE (1.3L Turbo (55k)

If you can live with a 4EFE (1.3L EFi), 4AFE(1.6L EFi), 5AFE(1.5L EFi), 7AFE(1.8L EFi) powerhouse then you can somehow just spend a little more than 45k.

Parts are as well abundant. May alam akong slaughter house ng auto and as far as I know, maraming bits ng AE92 na available duon.

You'll buy an EG because of its yabang factor. That's it.

6. Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Looks: Ae92
    Performance: EG

as simple as that.

shameless plug, i have a friend who is selling their "virgin" ESi (never raced, never modified all stock, never even lowered). here is the link.
    http://www.**************/index.php/...onda+Civic+Esi

HTH

Toyota Corolla GL (AE92) or Honda Civic ESi (EG)