New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Hi guys, looking to get a new car around january... appreciate your feedback on which is a better car... If there are other choices na ok pls let me know... kht til mga 950k cguro... thanks!

2. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Dami na options at that price, halos covered yung compacts at sub-compacts na 1.8L or below. With that budget, I would be looking more at compacts instead of the sub-compacts, unless you're primary consideration is fuel consumption.

Honda Civic 1.8S AT
    Mitsubishi Lancer EX MX 1.6 AT
    Toyota Altis 1.6 G or V
    Hyundai Elantra 1.6 GL or 1.8 GLS
    Ford Focus 1.6L

3. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    950k budget and you're looking at subcompacts? Ang gusto mo ba yung mababa o yung mataas? Matic lang? Ayan ang choices as mentioned by sir egan101. You may also consider the Kia Soul, Nissan Grand Livina or the Kia Sportage 2.0 gas M/T

4. Join Date
    Aug 2012
    actually i would really like a compact car since im a tall guy... but the jazz seems like a very nice and economical car thats why i considered it... and it seems very roomy as well... among the compacts which one is the best? considered the elantra for a long time but heard a lot of bad stories sa forums and stuff... the focus seems nice but no feedback on it pa... wanted the sportage, but leaning towards matic now, plus sama daw ng fuel consumption ng mga kia now...

5. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by boogie18 View Post
    actually i would really like a compact car since im a tall guy... but the jazz seems like a very nice and economical car thats why i considered it... and it seems very roomy as well... among the compacts which one is the best? considered the elantra for a long time but heard a lot of bad stories sa forums and stuff... the focus seems nice but no feedback on it pa... wanted the sportage, but leaning towards matic now, plus sama daw ng fuel consumption ng mga kia now...
    What exact stories have you been hearing about the Elantra? 2 years after its launch, there haven't been any major issues with it, unlike its smaller cousin, the Accent, which has had severe knocking issues previously.

For that amount of money I'd get the Elantra. Roomiest in its class, has a very good engine that's not too thirsty at the pump (~8 km/L on city driving is respectable for its displacement), and looks really good.

The Jazz is fuel efficient because it's got a smaller engine, but the difference between its consumption and that of the Altis isn't as big as you think. The Altis, despite its old 4-speed AT, is actually very fuel efficient for a 1.6L compact. It's much more comfortable than a Jazz too, not to mention that it's got more features and is overall a bigger car in terms of exterior dimensions. So between the Jazz 1.5V and Altis 1.6V, I'd definitely go for the Altis.

6. Join Date
    Aug 2012
    biggest problem i heard about the elantra was the "kalampag" issue, some even right when they get out of the casa meron na... i think rack and pinion replacement agad kahit brand new... and it took around 3months for the part to arrive... so i just worry that i get a new car tpos sakit agad sa ulo... un lang nman... baka ma chambahan ako ng "lemon" unit...

the altis seems sulit sa features and price but i saw na theyl be coming out with the new one, pero feeling ko later next year pa yun...

how about the focus or civic? ok ba, or sulit? mahal lang kc ng focus...

7. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Hindi naman in general na masama FC ng mga Kia. Kung matakaw yun, yung Hyundai counterpart niya matakaw rin. The Theta II Sportage is not known for fuel efficiency, but then that's what the M/T is for right? Ayun mas mabilis pa. Imagine the performance you'd get with a 166hp 2.0 engine with a manual tranny. :devil: I remember an old professor family friend. 90 years old na siya ngayon at nagtuturo parin sa Music ng UST. Ang sasakyan niya 2011 Elantra 1.6M/T. Araw-araw yan from Alabang area to UST and back, no problems so far.

8. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    biggest problem i heard about the elantra was the "kalampag" issue, some even right when they get out of the casa meron na... i think rack and pinion replacement agad kahit brand new... and it took around 3months for the part to arrive... so i just worry that i get a new car tpos sakit agad sa ulo... un lang nman... baka ma chambahan ako ng "lemon" unit...

the altis seems sulit sa features and price but i saw na theyl be coming out with the new one, pero feeling ko later next year pa yun...

how about the focus or civic? ok ba, or sulit? mahal lang kc ng focus...
    That's interesting, my friend's Elantra had those exact issues you're describing. But it's not a widespread issue and sa lahat ng kakilala kong naka-Elantra, siya lang nakaexperience nun.

Even the Altis has its share of minor issues. A-pillar rattles, squeaky steering wheel, trunk not opening with the remote release switch, rear parking sensors malfunctioning. Guess what, I was lucky enough to experience all of those! Haha. But these quirks notwithstanding, I still think the Altis is fairly reliable, just as I think the Elantra's reliable too.

9. Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Hi guys, looking to get a new car around january... appreciate your feedback on which is a better car... If there are other choices na ok pls let me know... kht til mga 950k cguro... thanks!
    Dude,

I drive a Honda Jazz. I think its a very good car. no issues what so ever so far. maybe the long wait list. that really tested my patience then. Anyways between the two its basically up to what you need in a car. I go the Jazz coz of the ULT seats which folds flat and you can load all sorts of stuff. I can load up 2 or 3 balikbayan boxes easy! This is an ability that no compact car can do. We already had the Altis which made me chose the Jazz instead of any other sedan type compact or subcompact. Also if you plan to do Bodykits or MODS, you might enjoy more modifying the Jazz than the Altis due to the vast After-Market available already.

However, if you dont foresee or need to haul things. It might be best to choose the Altis 1.6G or V. Its a very good car and FC wise there's an insignificant difference between the Jazz. Its not a deal breaker.

As for the Elantra, its basically the same as the Altis though in my opinion i'd get the Altis due to Toyota Reliability.

Best test drive every candidate! You'll feel it when the Car is for you!

10. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    You could also wait for the 2013 civic :D

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast