New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    *Juan

I agree with your kids. It's good that you listened to what they want.

I liked the Dodge because of the toys and I think it's more convenient and family focused. I looked up at the Odyssey if the USDM is the same with the JDM... But it turns out that the JDM is smaller or shorter than the American model.

It seems you're choosing for the Quest already. So what's the dilemma between these minivans?

Honda Odyssey
    - V6, 4 cylinder not available. But this has Honda's VCM which is good. I can't see much of the practicality of this minivan with the exception of it's VCM technology on some models. Though it has some aggressive exterior, it looks more conservative to me. The leather seats looks quite a bit old fashioned.

Toyota Sienna
    - V6 only. No long comments really. A Toyota is a Toyota in some people. But I really think Toyota has some balance in their cars.

Nissan Quest
    - V6 only. The seats have some styling issues to me, though some may disagree but it looks thin as a dining chair. Third row seat is a bit disappointing unlike other minivans on the market, hiding it means the whole 3rd seat without giving you an option to hide half/more than half of it.

Dodge Grand Caravan
    - V6 only

If I were to buy one, I'd still choose the Dodge. Which I know that it's not really the most practical minivan too. But I like the toys.
    iam3739.com

2. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    I've driven the Sienna, its a nice minivan. No complaints. Same with the Odyssey.

Dodge has a bad rep for its transmissions specially the older (late 90's) Caravans. I would have thought they have solved it by now.

No experience with the Kia and Nissan.

3. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Also checkout the Ford Taurus X and the Dodge Journey before making your decision. Not exactly minivans but not the typical crossover either. Personally on your list the Nissan has the most personality without looking boring (Toyota) and not having the history of others(Chrysler). Recently saw a new Sedona with dealer tags and it already had a broken interior grab handle.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by redorange View Post
    Also checkout the Ford Taurus X and the Dodge Journey before making your decision. Not exactly minivans but not the typical crossover either. Personally on your list the Nissan has the most personality without looking boring (Toyota) and not having the history of others(Chrysler). Recently saw a new Sedona with dealer tags and it already had a broken interior grab handle.
    The wife wants the "classic" minivan. It has the most room and the best accessibility.

Unfortunately, now she can't decide what she want. I thought we were set on the Quest. Now, she's thinking about the Odyssey again. Apparently, her "kumares" have been brainwashing her into getting an Odyssey. *SIGH*

5. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Lol...

Well, have a nice happy minivan hunting!
    iam3739.com

6. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    jun, i happen to find a thread from fatwallet. nissan is unloading their big vehicles including the quest for up to 40% off. selected dealers though, but at 40% this is worth trying.

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-...45337/?start=0

from what i hear, among the minivans honda is the most fun to drive.

7. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    The Quest ain't bad...although I have no experience with current model. My aunt in South Pasadena used to own an old one. It was definitely not frugal on fuel when driving around town (a caveat), but if you see mostly freeway miles that shouldn't be a problem.

My vote would go to the Odyssey. If minivans are as "boring" as people think they are, one might as well go for the one that's the most fun to drive.

Can't ignore that very fat 40% discount on the Quest though...

8. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Well, my view of the minivan is a people-mover. Its main advantages are the different seat configurations possible, how it maximizes available space, and the creature comforts, esp the captain's chairs.

Fun.... Let's see what my idea of fun driving is through the years.....

1. Doing 0-55mph in 2nd gear with my Laser Turbo. That was fun if a bit scary. I almost expected a piston to come shooting through the dashboard.

2. Taking the same car to 150+ mph at a deserted road. That was fun.

3. Blasting off from the Truckee toll gate along I-80 on that steep mountain climb and leaving an IROC-Z far far behind gasping for breath. That was fun.

4. Doing 40 mph on an ice-covered parade ground, slamming the brakes, and watch me and my car slide crazily all over the place. That was fun.

5. Successfully overtaking 11 semis, motor homes, pickup trucks, and other vehicles all at once on a 2-lane road to Chico, CA. That was fun.

6. Neck to neck with a V6 Mazda 6 in my Sonata until the Mazda driver hit the speed governor. That was fun.

But......... Putt-putting around town at 40-45 mph not just in a minivan, but any car isn't fun. There's no fun in driving (for me) if I'm not pushing the car. It doesn't matter if it's a Miata or M3. If I'm just using them to drive around town, there's no fun in it.

I wouldn't push a minivan because it's simply not designed to be pushed hard. So, it really wouldn't matter whether the van is a Dodge or Honda. But, the Dodge is butt-ugly and the Sienna has had some quality control issues. The Quest I liked not just because of the lower prices. But, most of my relatives are Nissan/Infiniti fanatics. So, it's a strong contender.

But, we took a second look at an Odyssey. It's actually quite roomy. The first time we looked at an Odyssey, we also brought along friends and neighbors. One's a big muscle head. Another has a huge beer belly. Still another had a big butt. The Odyssey looked pretty small with them in it. The 2nd time around, my family and I rode in a kumare's Odyssey. My smaller-framed family members fit quite well at the back. I rode shotgun. I guess it's roomy enough for us. My wife's impressed most with the Odyssey's build quality. Me? I just like captain's chairs. As far as driving it? It's a minivan, whoopty-do. Let the wife decide what she wants

9. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Hahaha! I see your point. Yeah, let the wife decide.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    if the Odyssey is in the picture i change my vote to that one. my assistant has one and she has three teenage daughters that play sports. it's super roomy, versatile and has that honda reliability. and as far as minivans go, it's the most carlike in terms of ride and looks....the new ones actually look like sporty tall station wagons.

if you want to be different, check out the Chrysler Pacifica. with the struggles that the American Big 3 have been having, you might be able to score a killer deal on one as well...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Time For a New Minivan