New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Hi, the wife and I are considering to get another car this year. She is currently driving an 11th-gen Altis and has problems driving my Monty as an alternate car where she has owned quite a few dings on it lately . I also wouldn't like to lend my V because there is some learning curve to get used to when using the floor-parking brake. We have narrowed down our choices to the Swift 1.2 MT and the Vios 1.3 E MT. All our cars are ATs and we would like to have an MT. My parents have the Vios 1.3E MT which I already have driven extensively but we are buying this new car for us. I know its not an apples-to-apples comparison, but our budget falls around 700k or less. The need isn't immediate and we plan to get the car in a couple of months and would like to research as early as now. Any suggestions or votes?

2. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by sientobente View Post
    Hi, the wife and I are considering to get another car this year. She is currently driving an 11th-gen Altis and has problems driving my Monty as an alternate car where she has owned quite a few dings on it lately . I also wouldn't like to lend my V because there is some learning curve to get used to when using the floor-parking brake. We have narrowed down our choices to the Swift 1.2 MT and the Vios 1.3 E MT. All our cars are ATs and we would like to have an MT. My parents have the Vios 1.3E MT which I already have driven extensively but we are buying this new car for us. I know its not an apples-to-apples comparison, but our budget falls around 700k or less. The need isn't immediate and we plan to get the car in a couple of months and would like to research as early as now. Any suggestions or votes?
    really now... why don't you want her to drive that V? learning curve, you say...?
    and you want an MT because you are already swimming in AT..?
    and you are inviting us as adviser-accomplices..?
    put my vote under the swift. like ko siya.

3. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Between the two choices, Vios E definitely - bigger car, more power, higher resale, cheap to maintain and run.

However, you already have more than enough cars so practically speaking, I would rather just live with your current stable (Montero, Altis, CR-V if I'm not mistaken) and use the money for something else. The Vios and Altis are roughly the same to drive, with the Vios just being narrower.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Doc, she's good with a manual car because she used to drive a manual rav4. When she tried my V, it was really a scary moment for me, because she tries to accelerate the car with the foot-parking brake on, and when she disengages it, the car backs down from an incline. So I'd really rather have her buy a car that she can mess with.

5. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by sientobente View Post
    Doc, she's good with a manual car because she used to drive a manual rav4. When she tried my V, it was really a scary moment for me, because she tries to accelerate the car with the foot-parking brake on, and when she disengages it, the car backs down from an incline. So I'd really rather have her buy a car that she can mess with.
    well... if you have the money..
    somebody has to help support our automobile industry..
    heh heh.

6. Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jut703 View Post
    Between the two choices, Vios E definitely - bigger car, more power, higher resale, cheap to maintain and run.

However, you already have more than enough cars so practically speaking, I would rather just live with your current stable (Montero, Altis, CR-V if I'm not mistaken) and use the money for something else. The Vios and Altis are roughly the same to drive, with the Vios just being narrower.

Thanks for your input. The money isn't really much of a concern because she could have bought a much more expensive car than getting the Altis last year. We really put this money aside for another car so that we have something to use going to Divisoria and something to lend the car to her younger siblings.

The reason why she is deciding between the two is the interior. For some reason she says, she wants an attractive dashboard for her to enjoy what she is driving.

7. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    The Vios has a nicer dashboard definitely. In fact, I like it more than the Altis' dash because it's just black and silver with no beige.

However, taking into consideration the rest of your garage, I think the Swift is a better addition. Though the Vios is a better car, it's pretty much your Altis with less power, width, and overall presence. The Swift is a cutesy left-field choice that's really easy to maneuver around the city.

8. Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    well... if you have the money..
    somebody has to help support our automobile industry..
    heh heh.
    Haha the money is actually going to be well spent rather than me getting into a fight with her for maltreating my car

9. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Swift nalang. Or if money is not an issue, Accent CRDi. More spacious than the Swift, and less ubiquitous as compared to the Vios. And the most important fact is you get to enjoy it too. Baka mag-agawan pa kayo in the long run.
    Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

10. Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jut703 View Post
    The Vios has a nicer dashboard definitely. In fact, I like it more than the Altis' dash because it's just black and silver with no beige.

However, taking into consideration the rest of your garage, I think the Swift is a better addition. Though the Vios is a better car, it's pretty much your Altis with less power, width, and overall presence. The Swift is a cutesy left-field choice that's really easy to maneuver around the city.

I agree, not a big fan of the beige interior of the Altis. This though makes it a lot more confusing. The Vios offers practicality, but the Swift seems more fun to use.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast