New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    May 2012
    Good day tsikoters!!!! Question for a friend,,,Super Grandia VS Grand Starex VGT kung sa akayatan daw po ba anong mas malakas,sample daw po kakargahan ng tig 10 sacks of rice both SG and GS ano daw po kaya ung mas makakaakyat ung hindi hirap.....he keep on saying kase ang Grand Starex matulin lang kase high speed ang differential tas ang Super Grandia Low Speed ung differential kaya mas malakas daw humatak kesa starex...... nahirapan na ko mag explain about engine horses and engine torque...........by the way he is a TOYOTA FAN BOY...

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I think the Starex is still ahead in the hatak/akyatan aspect if you're pitting the CRDi variant against the D4d Hiace. The Grandia still surprises 1.6L sedans with its good gearing selection but once it's fully loaded with passengers and baggage, you can feel the performance dip. The current Grandia also seems to have a gearing glitch on first gear (seems a little too tall) as the van will have a hard time when starting from standstill on an incline unless you up the revs a little before releasing the clutch.

I cannot comment on the TCi variant though but if i were to compare my old 2005 Starex TCi against a current gen Grandia m/t, the Grandia is much better in terms of power. Hell, even my cousin driving their old school 3.0 Hiace Grandia years ago gave me and our Starex TCi hell on a mountain climb years ago.

3. Join Date
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by vinj View Post
    I think the Starex is still ahead in the hatak/akyatan aspect if you're pitting the CRDi variant against the D4d Hiace. The Grandia still surprises 1.6L sedans with its good gearing selection but once it's fully loaded with passengers and baggage, you can feel the performance dip. The current Grandia also seems to have a gearing glitch on first gear (seems a little too tall) as the van will have a hard time when starting from standstill on an incline unless you up the revs a little before releasing the clutch.

I cannot comment on the TCi variant though but if i were to compare my old 2005 Starex TCi against a current gen Grandia m/t, the Grandia is much better in terms of power. Hell, even my cousin driving their old school 3.0 Hiace Grandia years ago gave me and our Starex TCi hell on a mountain climb years ago.
    yes sir ung CRDI,,parehas top the line ng current model nila.....thanks sir...guys more inputs ayaw parin maniwala na mas ok ung starex vgt kase sa 2kdftv ng grandia haha....

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    The only real way to find out is to really load up and test, m/t to m/t or a/t to a/t. The Starex may have the hp but if this is all driven by the turbocharger then there is basis to claim the Hiace might be able to pull better off the line and the Starex will just catch up once the turbo spools up.

5. Join Date
    May 2012
    The only real way to find out is to really load up and test, m/t to m/t or a/t to a/t. The Starex may have the hp but if this is all driven by the turbocharger then there is basis to claim the Hiace might be able to pull better off the line and the Starex will just catch up once the turbo spools up.

base on papers grand starex specs is far far away better compare to super grandia,,both of them are turbo crdi diba?

102ps and 260nm for grandia
    170ps and 392nm for grand starex

pinagkaiba lang siguro boss kung what rpm mag activate ung turbo nila????

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by jyg1995 View Post
    pinagkaiba lang siguro boss kung what rpm mag activate ung turbo nila????
    Turbo lag and gearing.

If the Starex gets more hp for the displacement, it's likely that the turbo puts out more boost; thus more boost gives for more lag time from standstill. It may also have different gearing to give it more legs on the highway. I cannot say really since i have not extensively driven the current gen Starex but i have more then enough wheel time behind our family Grandia GL. We used to have also a CRDi 2005 Starex m/t in the office and yeah, it was a little lazy off the line but one you enter the powerband, power just came and pulled steadily.

The criteria of pulling a heavy load from standstill cannot be fully told until you load up and pit both side by side or actually drive both extensively enough. However, since you're debating the a/t variants with your friend, then the other ace of the Grand Starex is that it has a 5-speed a/t (versus the Super Grandia 4-speed a/t) so that gives for closer gear ratios.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    No replacement for displacement?

8. Join Date
    Feb 2008

may kinalaman yata yan sa drive by wire system ng Toyota. even our M/T vvti innova has the accelerator delay problem pag sa inclined.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    The criteria of pulling a heavy load from standstill cannot be fully told until you load up and pit both side by side or actually drive both extensively enough. However, since you're debating the a/t variants with your friend, then the other ace of the Grand Starex is that it has a 5-speed a/t (versus the Super Grandia 4-speed a/t) so that gives for closer gear ratios.
    +1. Head to head na nga.

What I like about Toyota is that it knows how to put in the matching gearing for an underpowered engine. I suppose a larger piece of its sales pie is being driven in the city -- so low end torque rather than high speed cruising is probably the preference. But it's hard to say that the GS is purely high speed. Baguio climb? Hehe!

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by IMm29 View Post
    No replacement for displacement?
    The old 3.0 Grandia had short gearing so on a steep and curb-ridden mountain road, it really climbed well and kept behind the old Starex TCi. On the highway, iwan na iwan yung old Grandia.

Quote Originally Posted by crazy_boy View Post
    may kinalaman yata yan sa drive by wire system ng Toyota. even our M/T vvti innova has the accelerator delay problem pag sa inclined.
    If that's the case then a program to improve throttle response will help? I was thinking about this for the Gen 10.5 Altis.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast