New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    hi guys,

please help me decide on this din. going to replace our 10 year old super grandia.

mahal pala ng hi ace now but our family is thinking of going to get the new super grandia. (9 kasi kme and grand starex pilit especially if out of town kasama mga gamit).

worth it ba talaga to get the super grandia with leather or il just settle with the fabric or just the grandia lang?

mas maganda din ba ang 2 tone or monotone lang?

salamat!

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    With the Super Grandia variant, fabric is quite fine. The reason why i would consider the leather variant is it comes with OEM alloy wheels against the fabric model which only has hubcaps (WTF). The Super Grandia also has a better suspension, seat comfort (AFAIK), comes with two doors, a/t transmission and fog lamps. I just don't know that if with 9pax, did you check if the luggage will fit given the rearmost seats will still be used?

We have a GL Grandia and there is enough space to put some luggage along the row and at the rear area however seat comfort isn't as good. Having no rear windows is also a bane when you're at the drive-thru or wan't to talk to someone outside. Given a choice of buying again, we'd go with the Super Grandia model.

Two tone for me

3. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jrcrunch View Post
    hi guys,

please help me decide on this din. going to replace our 10 year old super grandia.

mahal pala ng hi ace now but our family is thinking of going to get the new super grandia. (9 kasi kme and grand starex pilit especially if out of town kasama mga gamit).

worth it ba talaga to get the super grandia with leather or il just settle with the fabric or just the grandia lang?

mas maganda din ba ang 2 tone or monotone lang?

salamat!
    fabric or leather sir?

4. Join Date
    Feb 2011
    The additional features of the Super Grandia are:

1. A/T Transmission
    2. Alloy wheels
    3. 2 sliding doors - really convenient when loading and unloading many passengers
    4. Captain chairs 2nd row
    5. A/V system, but would have preferred to have a ceiling mounted monitor compared to the 2 headrest monitors as the passengers on the 3rd and 4th row have poor visibility
    6. Improved suspension

As for leather vs fabric its up to you. Advantage lang ng leather is that its easier to clean and maintain and looks classy compared to fabric. But if the van will be parked outside most of the time pangit lang sa leather is that it absorbs the heat so you need to cool the van first before using the seats.

I'd go with leather

5. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Actually, the Starex is bigger than the Hiace in every dimension be it length (5125mm vs. 4840mm), width (1920mm vs. 1880mm) and wheelbase (3200mm vs. 2570mm) except height (1925mm vs. 2105mm). I don't know how the Hiace manages to look so wide. Besides the Starex is definitely king in the power department. The Hiace is severely underpowered with the Innova engine and such a huge heft. And the Starex is immensely more comfortable to boot. If you need luggage space, you may want to consider investing in a roof rack like many van owners do.

6. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    We opted for GL Grandia before (Dec. 2007) because of the waiting list

Pero ok sana yung Super Grandia Leather package. Wag na yung Fabric package, parang GL Grandia lang kasi. Pangit pa hub caps ;)

Hmmm.. Do you consider Hyundai Grand Starex? Medyo nakakapang-hinayang ang ganda ng Grand Starex tapos HiAce nabili namin. Buti nabenta na

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by GTi View Post
    Actually, the Starex is bigger than the Hiace in every dimension be it length (5125mm vs. 4840mm), width (1920mm vs. 1880mm) and wheelbase (3200mm vs. 2570mm) except height (1925mm vs. 2105mm). I don't know how the Hiace manages to look so wide. Besides the Starex is definitely king in the power department. The Hiace is severely underpowered with the Innova engine and such a huge heft. And the Starex is immensely more comfortable to boot. If you need luggage space, you may want to consider investing in a roof rack like many van owners do.
    Pards, have you owned or at least driven both vehicles personally and extensively before saying that the Grandia is smaller and "severely underpowered"?

We purchased the Hiace over the Grand Starex mainly because we were looking for a van that had a seating and interior configuration close to the MB100. Seating capacity of both may be similar but our family preferred having no jumpseats to move about in the ingress and egress, and the taller cabin of the Hiace. The Starex may have bigger dimensions on paper but your overlook that its engine is upfront while the Hiace has its engine underneath the driver.

As to power, yes the Starex is far ahead in the power and speed department... comfort as well is a better with the Starex. The Hiace however, in spite of having a low HP rating on paper, is nowhere near underpowered and is also quite efficient given the size its carrying. It has the power to pass on two lane highways up north and to ascend mountain roads without having to shut off the a/c or ask you passengers to breathe in. If you're familiar with the Tagaytay Midlands to Highlands road, it can take it at full load with the a/c on, on second gear all the way up; same goes when you're on Kennon road (Camp 6-7) where you only have to take it on 1st gear on the hairpins unless you want to throw your rear passengers around.

We're thinking of changing the GL Grandia to a Starex already though as we don't need much passenger space anymore and would suffice in a 7-8 seater van for our family's use. I still like the imposing, boxy design of the Super Grandia though (in my taste).

* the Super Grandia, leather for me as well. Panget ng hubcaps nga.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Mag grand starex ka na, power palang panalo na. Yung akin 12 seater and i removed the last row for baggages. So ngayon 9 seater nalang siya. Test drive both vehicles, dont limit your choice to just the grandia or super grandia, yung kakilala ko na may toyota dealerships tinanong ko dati when i was in the market for a van. Eto lang sagot niya, "if you have a driver mag super grandia ka, if sometimes ikaw mag drive then mag grand starex ka" enough said.

9. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by vinj View Post
    Pards, have you owned or at least driven both vehicles personally and extensively before saying that the Grandia is smaller and "severely underpowered"?

We purchased the Hiace over the Grand Starex mainly because we were looking for a van that had a seating and interior configuration close to the MB100. Seating capacity of both may be similar but our family preferred having no jumpseats to move about in the ingress and egress, and the taller cabin of the Hiace. The Starex may have bigger dimensions on paper but your overlook that its engine is upfront while the Hiace has its engine underneath the driver.

As to power, yes the Starex is far ahead in the power and speed department... comfort as well is a better with the Starex. The Hiace however, in spite of having a low HP rating on paper, is nowhere near underpowered and is also quite efficient given the size its carrying. It has the power to pass on two lane highways up north and to ascend mountain roads without having to shut off the a/c or ask you passengers to breathe in. If you're familiar with the Tagaytay Midlands to Highlands road, it can take it at full load with the a/c on, on second gear all the way up; same goes when you're on Kennon road (Camp 6-7) where you only have to take it on 1st gear on the hairpins unless you want to throw your rear passengers around.

We're thinking of changing the GL Grandia to a Starex already though as we don't need much passenger space anymore and would suffice in a 7-8 seater van for our family's use. I still like the imposing, boxy design of the Super Grandia though (in my taste).

* the Super Grandia, leather for me as well. Panget ng hubcaps nga.
    Well the term underpowered may be different to many people. I am basing it on the performance of the Fortuner with the same engine. And it would probably have more power loss with the A/T variant. I have not driven one but I have ridden in one and I found the ride rather choppy, people not used to it also easily get nauseated in it which is not a very good trait of a modern high class van. And also, the Starex is most probably safer due to the front mounted engine.

super grandia leather fabric or just grandia