New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Aside from the acquisition cost, you have to input the cost of ownership, both short term and long term

2. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by 111prez View Post
    Aside from the acquisition cost, you have to input the cost of ownership, both short term and long term

what would you think would be cheaper?

Fuel costs - montero. I have been reading about the great FC for the subaru so if it does 8kml on the city, Im fine with that. However, on the same FC for the montero in the city, then the cost of diesel is achieved savings.
    PMS - suby ?? I am assuming PMS for suby is 10k while the Monty is at 5k

Usually keep my vehicles for 5 years.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    ^ Go for the Subbie XV. Its relatively efficient, more comfy, and performs very well... I would definitely get one if i were in your shoes.

Overall though, the Monty would still be cheaper to maintain/own i guess, due to economies of scale. Other then that, unless you find yourself heading for floods often, the Subbie gives you quite a lot.

Subaru also has a dealership in Pampanga should the need for a check-up or service arise while you're there.
    Last edited by vinj; October 29th, 2013 at 09:50 AM.

4. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    I've seen Montero's with smoky exhausts in the highways already. 2-3 years down the road, these cars will become ASBU targets.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by vinj View Post
    ^ Go for the Subbie XV. Its relatively efficient, more comfy, and performs very well... I would definitely get one if i were in your shoes.

Overall though, the Monty would still be cheaper to maintain/own i guess, due to economies of scale. Other then that, unless you find yourself heading for floods often, the Subbie gives you quite a lot.

Subaru also has a dealership in Pampanga should the need for a check-up or service arise while you're there.
    Test drove the XV yesterday. Sweet drive. Downshifting via the paddles in case you need the power is very handy.

I've been asking for a Montero test drive for two weeks. Hard for one to come by.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by lowslowbenz View Post
    I've seen Montero's with smoky exhausts in the highways already. 2-3 years down the road, these cars will become ASBU targets.
    I had a quick testing of a Montero 2014 on the casa garage. Since it was a brand new unit, I didn't get to drive it outside but just do a forward and reverse on the warehouse area.
    I was wondering about the Montero's torque capabilities sitting from standstill so I did a pedal to the metal. Result, good torque but lots of smoke. I have been reading a lot on the Montero topics and I think this is a given. EGR blanking etc. lang katapat yata to remove that.

7. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by paulp View Post
    I was wondering about the Montero's torque capabilities sitting from standstill so I did a pedal to the metal. Result, good torque but lots of smoke. I have been reading a lot on the Montero topics and I think this is a given. EGR blanking etc. lang katapat yata to remove that.
    It's a diesel, so it'll blow (visible) smoke. Yes, a number of upgrades/modifications are out there that lessen smoke particulates to a certain degree. How I wish those ASBU people know the real technicalities. Don't get me wrong, if they have the gall to flag down a Nissan Super Safari, what's keeping them from flagging down a Montero. Real world observations lang.

Apologies, I'm not skinning diesel owners here as I'm waiting for an all new Fortuner myself.

8. Join Date
    Apr 2013
    It's a diesel, so it'll blow (visible) smoke. Yes, a number of upgrades/modifications are out there that lessen smoke particulates to a certain degree. How I wish those ASBU people know the real technicalities. Don't get me wrong, if they have the gall to flag down a Nissan Super Safari, what's keeping them from flagging down a Montero. Real world observations lang.

Apologies, I'm not skinning diesel owners here as I'm waiting for an all new Fortuner myself.
    yeah but not here in Saudi Arabia. even trucks here doesn't "blow" that ugly smoke even uphill, kasing linis yata ng unleaded ng pinas ang diesel dito. tapos ang mahal ng presyo sa atin.

9. Join Date
    Aug 2013

Kotong lang habol nila kasi, daming bus na kapag umarangkada parang binugahan ka ng black smoke screen ni James Bond pero di nila hinuhuli. Jeepney marami rin smoke belchers pero di na nawala sa daan.

Sent from my mind using Telepathy 2

10. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Madali ako mahilo sa Monty. Sa XV hinde, close to sedan level comfort ang ride. Light on its feet. I get 7km/li rush hour traffic. Dali i maneuver and park. 8+ inches ground clearance for damn floods, road imperfections, and odd-angle ramps. Mas pogi pati kaysa monty

Less space ng xv kaysa monty. If you need space and carrying capacity better Monty. If solo ka most of the time urban driving better xv.

My $.02

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast