New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    May 2010
    Hi, am contemplating on trading in my 2010 forester xt for the new subaru xv. My main concern is the fuel consumtption of xt and its old look interiors. I often use my xt for city driving. Very seldom that i use it for long drives. What do you think guys?

This is also my dilemma. up to now, can't choose between the forester (although XS lang) and the XV.

So far, here are my observations:

Engine:
    Same, except if you're considering the Forester XT which has a turbo variant.

Fuel economy:
    Supposedly, between the Forester XS and the XV, the latter will win. No contest if the comparison is with the Forester XT.

Exterior:
    XV wins for me, although this is subjective. It's a new design, unlike the Forester which has been undergoing minor facelifts only. Also, there is "supposedly" a new Forester coming out in 2013 or 2014, depending on who you ask.

Interior:
    Basically, the dash of the Forester and the XV are more or less the same - sparse and minimalist. So if you think the XT has "old look interiors" the XV won't make a difference. In fact, IMO, the Forester has better-looking gauges because it's optitron.

The sunroof of the Forester is way bigger than the XV.

The space that the Forester provides is way bigger than the XV and this is the biggest stumbling block for me. The only reason why I'm still considering the XV is because I don't normally transport large numbers of people or cargo.

The headroom of the Forester is higher than the XV which feels like a sedan when you're driving. So, folks who are used to the spacious SUVs like the CRV or the bigger Monteros/Fortuners will not like the XV.

Price:
    The Forester XT is priced the highest. The SRP of the Forester XS and the XV base model are the same but the Forester XS is being offered with discounts presumably because of the supposed new model.

So basically,the pros of the XV are:
    1. it looks much better;
    2. it's a 2012 model;
    3. slightly more fuel efficient;
    4. better handling (i suppose).

Cons are space and headroom.

The pros of Forester:
    1. cargo space;
    2. headroom;
    3. larger sunroof;
    4. optitron gauge.

Cons are: slightly less fuel efficient (if the XS) OR not fuel efficient (if the XT), old-er model which might possibly be replaced next year, less than stellar looks.
    Last edited by April_Ryan; September 2nd, 2012 at 04:15 PM.

3. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    If you're concerned about fuel consumption, why're you even considering the Forester XT? You can't expect stellar figures from a 2.5L turbo with 230 HP and AWD.

I'd still pick the Forester XS over the XV, because the latter's just too cramped for a CUV if you ask me. However, if you don't need space and just want a good looking car, the XV floats your boat pretty well.

If we consider everything else in the segment though, I'd recommend the Mazda CX-5 or the Sportage EX CRDi instead.

4. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    bumping this thread ulit..
    kelangan ko tulong nyo guys lalo na sa mga owners ng maski anong sasakyang ito..

ano ba talaga mas better based on your performance of forester and xv?
    cant decide kasi kung alin ang kukunin e..?

tulong mga guys..

5. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    I'd go with jut703's inputs on this matter. The Forester XT is a performance-oriented compact SUV, much like the Legacy GT against its Japanese midsize counterparts. If you don't need the space and just need a daily drive with better fuel efficiency and enough creature comforts, a good-sized compact or sub-compact sedan will do. If I have a Forester XT, I won't trade it in for lower-spec'd vehicle.

6. Join Date
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by dardmc View Post
    bumping this thread ulit..
    kelangan ko tulong nyo guys lalo na sa mga owners ng maski anong sasakyang ito..

ano ba talaga mas better based on your performance of forester and xv?
    cant decide kasi kung alin ang kukunin e..?

tulong mga guys..
    Space wise: Forester is more spacious and can carry more cargo volume. It is more CUV (compact utility vehicle) than sedan (which the XV is).

Purchase cost wise: Forester gets 80-100K discount while the price of XV has gone up (yet again- 2nd increase this year). Last April, the price of Forester XS and XV premium were equal.

Both vehicles are powered by the same new FB20 engine. Forester gets a carryover 4 A/T with manual shift. XV gets a CVT transmission (which did not get a review with Dan Neil - google him)
    Last edited by number001; November 13th, 2012 at 11:28 AM.

7. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    I will not going to trade my forester xt with an XV. Unless its a 2013 Forester.. :-)

If you're concern is FC.. Get a CUV with diesel engine.. :-)

Test drive! And pick the car which will make you smile more.

9. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    If you're not in a rush.. Wait for the All New Subaru Forester then decide..

10. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    For a single guy, the XV ain't bad. In fact, the consensus amongst those of us who've driven it is that it drives better than the Impreza. But I don't see the point in trading down to one if you already have a Fozzie.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Subaru forester xt vs subaru xv