New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Ok I have to decide which car to buy ASAP as I have to buy it on January. Up until now I'm having a hard time deciding which car to buy between those two (only).

Ang choice ko is Mitsubishi Lancer EX GLX and Subaru Impreza hatch M/T - both in white. Ok ok alam ko it's not a fair comparison dahil base model lang yung Lancer. Gusto ko talaga ng M/T eh kaso GLX lang yung manual. But that's not a problem naman kasi I'll modify it din once I get the unit. Like palit mags, lowering springs, HID, etc. So kahit base model lang yung Lancer, ok lang... at least manual. I already went to Subaru to see and feel the Impreza. WOW! I like its solid feel. The car feels well built overall! I dont like the looks of the Impreza if I look at it from the picture/brochure. But sa personal, ang ganda din pala!

Sa Lancer naman, I like the exterior looks din, but I like the interior of the Impreza more. The car feels solid din but hindi katulad ng Subaru. Lancer is a bit faster din.

I like the Impreza for the fact that it's a Subaru. I feel unique for that alone. But sa Lancer naman I like the looks of it. It has more aggressive look. Sa performance not that much of a difference naman.

I'll use the car for city driving and occasional out-of-town trips. I'm still single so family drives is not an option, lol. I also want to experience the race track (I've tried it before and it was FUN!)

In terms of aftermarket engine mods, ano ang mas madami and mas supported locally between the two? Thinking of installing performance mods din kasi a few months after getting the car.

So ayan guys, I really really need your opinions. Sorry kung mahaba yung post.

2. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    I`d pick the Impreza here. :thumbup: Modifying it would make it look better especially if mods are done under the hood. :diablo:

3. Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by McQueen View Post
    Ok I have to decide which car to buy ASAP as I have to buy it on January. Up until now I'm having a hard time deciding which car to buy between those two (only).

Ang choice ko is Mitsubishi Lancer EX GLX and Subaru Impreza hatch M/T - both in white. Ok ok alam ko it's not a fair comparison dahil base model lang yung Lancer. Gusto ko talaga ng M/T eh kaso GLX lang yung manual. But that's not a problem naman kasi I'll modify it din once I get the unit. Like palit mags, lowering springs, HID, etc. So kahit base model lang yung Lancer, ok lang... at least manual. I already went to Subaru to see and feel the Impreza. WOW! I like its solid feel. The car feels well built overall! I dont like the looks of the Impreza if I look at it from the picture/brochure. But sa personal, ang ganda din pala!

Sa Lancer naman, I like the exterior looks din, but I like the interior of the Impreza more. The car feels solid din but hindi katulad ng Subaru. Lancer is a bit faster din.

I like the Impreza for the fact that it's a Subaru. I feel unique for that alone. But sa Lancer naman I like the looks of it. It has more aggressive look. Sa performance not that much of a difference naman.

I'll use the car for city driving and occasional out-of-town trips. I'm still single so family drives is not an option, lol. I also want to experience the race track (I've tried it before and it was FUN!)

In terms of aftermarket engine mods, ano ang mas madami and mas supported locally between the two? Thinking of installing performance mods din kasi a few months after getting the car.

So ayan guys, I really really need your opinions. Sorry kung mahaba yung post.
    With your choices and future mods, a second hand Lancer GT would be ok. Why second hand? Kasi, As I read your post, your readily voiding your waranty. Useless na ang pagiging brand new na. :D

4. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    The big question is whether the entire drivetrain can stand up to the punishment of STI levels of power... I don't think it can...

The Impreza, in MT form, is fun. With proper clutch work and trail-braking, you can even get it to drift. Of course... not on the race track.. The balance is good and the handling is nice.

The Lancer has better steering, and if you're getting an MT, it's quicker. But for the same price as the Impreza, you can get a paddleshift CVT Lancer. The CVT isn't great for drag-racing (it's pretty bad for it), but on the racetrack, the paddles are very responsive and power delivery is very good... you will have lots of fun with it.

Neither car is a perfect track weapon out of the box. Both pretty heavy. Both need more brakes and tires. The standard Lancer suspension is passable, but the Subaru is too soft. A suspension on either one will improve them greatly.

-

If you want to drive on the track and are single, think about a Civic 1.8 MT. The upper limits of modification aren't quite as high as some, but there are a ton of performance parts available, and it'll be quicker than either the Lancer or the Subie with similar mods.

You can also get one of the subcompacts, if you're not looking for something powerful. The Fiesta, Mazda2 and Jazz are all excellent handling cars... Fiesta best, Mazda2 second. Issue for the Fiesta is it's unknown how upgradeable it will be. The Mazda2... the ABS... too eager to kick in. The Jazz... kind of heavy and understeery compared to its old self.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I think your issue with the interior of the Lancer EX is the faux wood finish of the dashboard and front doors. That can be fixed easily either by repainting the wood-trims or having them overlaid with a vinyl sticker with your choice of pattern (example: jet black, carbon fiber or satin silver).

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    The Lancer EX mods available now are:

-turbo-intercooler upgrade (speedlab)
    -lowering springs
    -coil-overs with adjustable shocks
    -headers (coming in late december 2010 * speedlab; dyno proven hp gains)
    -twin exhaust mufflers
    -cone-type air filter intake with tube
    -drop-in air filters (K&N; dyno proven hp gains)
    -programable piggyback ECU (UNICHIP * speedlab; dyno proven hp gains)
    -stabilizer bars

My Lancer EX GLS level of mods include the ff:
    -coil-over springs with adjustable shocks
    -drop-in K&N air filter
    -UNICHIP
    -18inch wheels/tires (original were 16s)

Handling is very good, quick and predictable. Even at the limits of tire grip, the car is still very controllable. Exceeding tire grip, the slide out is gradual, predictable and even controllable with proper throttle control.
    Last edited by ghosthunter; December 11th, 2010 at 05:10 PM.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002

I assume you are getting the Subaru Impreza 2.0R which is a good car but hindered at performance because of lack of power from it's 2.0L engine. The WRX model is better simply because it has more power to play with. I also prefer the sedan over the hatch because the sedan feels better when I try to push it around for some drifts/slides.

To get more from this car, a turbo upgrade is recommended. I am just not sure if the stock clutch can take the added abuse of a turbo.

You have to note that Subaru Impreza (2.0R, WRX, STi) have one major weak point, the brakes. After a short joy ride, you will find you have boiled over your brake fluid or overheated the brake pads/rotors to leave deep scores on the rotor which will require some time in the machine shop to resurface (or even replacement might be needed) as well as a new set of brake pads.

The suspension, while a little soft for hard driving, is fine with me if you plan to mostly drive this car on the streets. On the track though, you might find your front plowing a bit deeper than expected if you keep the stock suspension but nothing bad enough to be dangerous.

8. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Get the Lancer EX. It looks more aggressive and gives better performance compared to the Impreza stock to stock due to the better power-to-weight ratio. Not to mention that the Lancer has a wider dealer network. After modifying the internals, you can opt for an Evo look by changing the hood and rims and relocating the license plate to the side for good measure.

9. Join Date
    Aug 2010
    both are good cars in their own rights. but since you are to void the warranty (mods), i suggest you get the subbie because the subaru's warranty is shorter than that of the mitsubishi. kasi palitan mo lang ng mags ang sasakyan mo or magpachange-oil ka lang sa labas ng casa, when your car is still locked-in with a warranty, mawawala na ang warranty ng sasakyan mo. or as others suggests, get a second-hand one so that there would be no warranty issues.

10. Join Date
    May 2006
    Mag subaru ka nalang pre mas bagay sa binata.

Tsaka baka dumami kaming naka lancer

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Still can't decide: Lancer EX or Subaru Impreza