New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    I'm thinking of replacing my trusty 11 year old Isuzu Hi-lander with something bigger and more comfortable. My choices so far are the Starex(both the Millenium series and the GRX CRDi) and the 2000-2003 Hiace Grandia. In terms of pricing the Hiace still commands a higher value at 500k up, almost same with the newer GRX Starex(2004 model). In terms of reliability and maintenance, are the two basically the same? The Millenium Starex would be cheaper I think, though afaik the A/T versions are a bit on the thirsty side. Hope you can further enlighten me. Thanks!

2. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    You can check out the Starex SVX CRDi. There are a few of these in the market. These are cheaper than the GRX and they look better. I would NOT be getting the Hiace Grandia. That one has a pig slow 90hp 3.0L engine. The ride quality is bad too. Even the Turbo Intercooler Starex is better than this one.

3. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    The 2003 Hi-Ace looks horrible. Sana kung yung pre-facelift/MMC. But then again, it's out of your budget. So i`d go with the Starex on this.

However, if you're getting the CRDi units. Better check if it hasn't clocked 100,000kms yet. As per Niky, the injectors can be a pain in the ass & pocket to replace/repair.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Thanks for the input guys,looks like the Starex has the edge on this one. Didn't realize the Grandia had an anemic engine, all the while I thought the 3.0 was adequately powerful. For the intercooler Turbo models, what are the usual things to look out for, aside from the usual rust?

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I'd lean more towards the Starex, either the millenium or GRX body. CRDi is a bonus but if you dont crave the extra power really and just want a reliable, fuel-up-with-anything diesel engine then scout around for a TCI model. The Starex is a gas guzzler though; our old 2005 TCi A/T consumed around 7 to a liter. The CRDi A/T also fares just about the same.

As for the Hiace. It may not win any speed wars but it is reliable and the gear ratios are properly matched to give the vehicle good climbing power even when fully loaded. Look for a 2001 and up model though which already have coil springs in the rear which give it a much better ride versus the 1999 to 2000 models. It is tiring to drive though and the diesel clatter isn't refined as compared to the Starex.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by vinj View Post
    I'd lean more towards the Starex, either the millenium or GRX body. CRDi is a bonus but if you dont crave the extra power really and just want a reliable, fuel-up-with-anything diesel engine then scout around for a TCI model. The Starex is a gas guzzler though; our old 2005 TCi A/T consumed around 7 to a liter. The CRDi A/T also fares just about the same.

As for the Hiace. It may not win any speed wars but it is reliable and the gear ratios are properly matched to give the vehicle good climbing power even when fully loaded. Look for a 2001 and up model though which already have coil springs in the rear which give it a much better ride versus the 1999 to 2000 models. It is tiring to drive though and the diesel clatter isn't refined as compared to the Starex.

Thanks, I know this for a fact too, that's why I'm targetting the M/T Starexes. Would this fare considerably better in fc figures?

7. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    The local Hiace is really bad indeed. Too bad it was never as well speced as the Subic Hiaces which feature 4WD, A/T, sunroofs and most importantly, the 3.0L EFI Turbo (may intercooler ba? I'm not sure) 1KZ-TE engine found in the Prado. Yes, the M/T Starex should be significantly more fuel efficient than the A/T. I remember a family friend's 2000 Starex Club A/T fueled up full tank before going to Baguio, and had to refuel again after arriving. Pero in fairness it was loaded up with passengers and their cargo tied on the roof. It almost didn't make it to the top. The Starex CRDi SHOULD do better in terms of FC, especially in highway mileage as it is not lacking in power like our friend's poor Starex Club.

8. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by tim4h92 View Post
    Thanks, I know this for a fact too, that's why I'm targetting the M/T Starexes. Would this fare considerably better in fc figures?
    yes definitely it will have better FE.
    Fasten your seatbelt! Or else... Driven To Thrill!

9. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Thanks for all the inputs, am really ingesting all of these now Any important spots I should look into when checking out TCI and CRDi Starexes?

10. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by GTi View Post
    The local Hiace is really bad indeed. Too bad it was never as well speced as the Subic Hiaces which feature 4WD, A/T, sunroofs and most importantly, the 3.0L EFI Turbo (may intercooler ba? I'm not sure) 1KZ-TE engine found in the Prado. Yes, the M/T Starex should be significantly more fuel efficient than the A/T. I remember a family friend's 2000 Starex Club A/T fueled up full tank before going to Baguio, and had to refuel again after arriving. Pero in fairness it was loaded up with passengers and their cargo tied on the roof. It almost didn't make it to the top. The Starex CRDi SHOULD do better in terms of FC, especially in highway mileage as it is not lacking in power like our friend's poor Starex Club.
    Sure ka? :um:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Starex or Hiace