New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    A good day to all.

The lease on my company-issued car (Accord 2009 2.4) expires October 16. Between now and that date I have to specify the vehicle that fits the budget (PhP1.7Mio+10%/-0).

My considerations:

a. to fit a family of 6 (3 adults 3 toddlers) for regular weekend trips to Manila from Laguna (including a foldable playpen)
    b. Riding comfort syempre (comparable to the Accord) since I am driving this 5 days/a week
    c. a unit worth buying at about 20% of purchase price in 3.5 years and be useful to my wife 2-3.5 years after that; wife currently drives a 4x4 Fortuner mainly for errands and picking up the kids. While experienced mechanics admire how the engine has been kept in excellent condition after 7 years and 80Km, time will come I have to replace it. Buying a new unit takes a backseat to house building.
    d. maintenance only becomes a personal issue if/when I buy the car in 3.5 years

Given these,
    (1) what do you think of my options above?
    (2) how much would the Accord sell with 85Kilometers on it?
    Last edited by Pilgrim; September 10th, 2012 at 02:35 PM. Reason: redundancy

2. Join Date
    Mar 2010
    The santa fe would be your best choice, resale value and riding comfort is great. The forester is only a 5 seater and resale value of subaru isn't that good, but when it comes to performance both the santa fe and sorento won't match the fxt's power and handling. Also the build quality of the fxt is top notch, you can really feel how solid it is. the sorento is pretty identical to the santa fe since they're using the same engine but it's a bit sportier than the santa fe which makes it a bit stiffer than the santa fe. I don't like the sorrento though because of it's poor build quality and i would much rather buy the santa fe over the sorento.
    Last edited by foresterx; September 10th, 2012 at 02:54 PM.

3. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Go for the Santa Fe Sir. Its bigger than the Forrester and its better looking than the Sorento.

As for the selling price of your Accord, check the ads at Sulitcars and Ayos dito to have a good idea of the going price for your unit.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    santa fe, hassle lang nga ang PM kasi every 3 months so abala sa iyo. yun lang nga di mo naman sagot at company car so ok lang siguro ang maintenance cost. and by the time sa iyo na yun wala na warranty so ok lang hindi sundin yung PM sched ng HARI. or buy from the gray market.

maganda din sorento, medyo mas stiff lang ang ride kesa sa santa fe. since dating accord ang ride mo baka di mo magustuhan ang ride. pero since may fortuner ka din, definitely way better than the fort and ride. hindi siya matagtag, just stiffer than the santa fe.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2011
    I'll go with Sante Fe.

6. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    The new Santa Fe is very nice, though its getting very expensive. If 4x2 is fine with you (can have lots of torque steer, and possibly chew up your tires very quickly) then go for it. If you can add, and want a 4x4 vehicle though, the Sorento 4x4 diesel is significantly cheaper than the new Santa Fe 4x4.

About the Accord... 85tkms?! Our daily driven (Timog QC to Valenzuela, 5 days a week) 2005 Accord 2.4 has only 75tkms on it! Do not expect a good price for that car as most 2nd hand buyers of midsize sedans would be looking for low mileage cars. I'd say 600+k thereabouts.

7. Join Date
    Jun 2012
    sta fe. basta wag sa HARI.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Thank you for the replies. I have been eyeing the Sta Fe because of the looks (and space) but have heard disturbing feedback about transmission and computer box. One of them from a friend's sister. Has this issue been sufficiently addressed by Hyundai? Or there really wasnt an issue to begin with?

I went to a dealer last Sunday to check the Sorrento. Didnt drive it, but the I thought the material has a cheap feel to it. I must have looked funny knocking on the panels to check the sound they make.

A very active Honda agent made a cold call today with the limited edition CRV. I dont know if the Accord has reprogrammed me but I cant get past the plastic material used. She tried to distract me with the HU features (BT, back up camera, etc) but didnt convince me. I was just reminded why this unit is not part of my consideration.

I am leaning towards the Sta Fe. But would like to build confidence. What would wow and frustrate a former Accord user in this unit?

*GTi: Yup its that much on a 3.5 yr old car. I reside in Sta Rosa and drive to Muntinlupa to work. I also go to QC, 2x a week. Taking the kids to their Canlubang school in the morning adds 6 km daily.

9. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    I see, so the Santa Fe it is? I'm sure there's not much to be frustrated about with this car as compared to the Accord. It is based on the Sonata after all, which gives it ride quality and handling pretty much similar to a midsize sedan. Depending on the variant you get, or how Hyundai chooses to equip it, it may not be as well spec'd as an Accord, and the engine note is, of course, not as melodious as Honda's i-VTEC unit, which are pretty much the only things I have against it. I found the old, 150hp Gen 2 Santa Fe to be pretty much similar to our '05 Accord 2.4 in terms of performance. This means the new Santa Fe should be significantly faster than your old car, and also immensely more fuel efficient. K24's are voracious creatures.

10. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by GTi View Post
    The new Santa Fe is very nice, though its getting very expensive. If 4x2 is fine with you (can have lots of torque steer, and possibly chew up your tires very quickly)
    Talaga GTi?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast