New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    At the moment im thinking of changing cars (Aston for a Merc). Im only thinking, maybe I will maybe I won't but which one is better? Is the AMG really necessary? The 350 has more than enough grunt and a lot better economy than the AMG.. but it doesn't have the noise or power that the AMG has. The AMG also has higher kms, the 2009 350 only has 800km on the clock but costs NZ$150,000. The 2002 55 AMG with 38000km on the clock is going for NZ$109. Now obviously the price will drop (hopefully) should I trade in my DB9.

The reason I want to replace the Db is because the electrics keep bugging me (cd changer and sat nav issues), costs too much to maintain and its too low for our country roads and it hurts me a lot every time it gets scraped on the road or i go over sheep/cow s**t on the road.

The 55 AMG would be the perfect replacement for the DB9 because it offers similar power and noise at a fraction of the price and will be a lot more reliable. The 350 is more economical and newer. It has a new version of Merc's COMMAND than the AMG. So which one?

I was also looking at a 07 Porsche 997 4S for NZ$149k with 36000km on the clock because the 4WD would help on icy roads here but it doesn't look as good as the SLs.

SL350

SL55 AMG

2. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    [SIZE=3]The SL55 AMG gets my vote [/SIZE]

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    The SL350 may be 80% as capable as the SL55 and 90% as nice, but it sounds nowhere near 50% as good as the V8.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

4. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Thanks guys.

Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    The SL350 may be 80% as capable as the SL55 and 90% as nice, but it sounds nowhere near 50% as good as the V8.
    Yeah my thoughts exactly.

5. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    i wish i had your dilemna.

AMG na lang, para wala na buyer's remorse.

6. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Update. Didn't end up buying either of the Mercs as I thought that they could wait. However I was badly mistaken because the AMG was sold a couple of days ago. But no worries, because I ended up buying a 2000 Ferrari 550 which I recently posted. Not quite the practical, everday car I was hoping to get but I couldn't resist. Maybe next time i'll end up getting a practical, everday Merc. There is a black SL500 for sale, and a couple of CLS55 AMGs... hmm....

7. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Update Again: Since it's summer here I did end up buying an SL but it wasn't a 350 or the 55AMG. Instead I bought a brand new SL63 AMG. I bought it simply because I am sick of Italian and British reliability. I intend on driving a lot in the sun this summer and the Aston has been in the shop a lot lately and the Lambo is painful on long distance journeys and the F1 paddle shift is horrid in town. The Ferrari is just as unreliable as the Aston, spending more time at the dealer getting serviced than it does on the road. So I bought the SL as an everyday car, and so far nothing has gone wrong. Here's just a couple of pics. It's Black on black.

8. Join Date
    Apr 2009

9. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    ^^ Drooolll. :drool::drool::drool: :faint::faint:

10. Join Date
    Oct 2008
    hndi ako makarelate hehehe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
SL350 vs. SL55 AMG