New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Hello,

Can someone give me advice on the DMAX LX? I'm considering buying either that or the Hyundai Tucson. I want a brand new manual truck or compact SUV in the lower 900K range and these two are the only ones remaining in my shortlist.

So far these are the pros and cons I've listed:

DMAX Pros:

- Gwapo
    - Within my price range
    - Diesel Engine at 11-12km / liter for city driving

Cons:
    - I have gottne feedback that Isuzu diesels are kinda smoky
    - Not yet common rail
    - Need to invest more on accessories

Tucson Pros:

- I can use it as is without need of investing on accessories
    - Better ride daw?
    - Better interiors
    - Better stereo with aux in for the ipod

Cons:

- 7-8km /liter in the city
    - Not too macho (although I'm planning to get the black)
    - Is Hyundai a good brand?

Please help me out ASAP coz I need to finalize my decision soon. Also, where can I get cheap accessories of the DMAX? I would be needing bed liner, bed cover, and probably some roll bars.

Thanks

2. Join Date
    May 2006
    Both vehicles are made for different purposes so it really depends on what your lifestyle is. By the way, there are threads for both vehicles here, for the Dmax you can go to the Dmax owners thread under diesels, suvs category then there's a Hyundai Tuscon thread in the car comparison forum category.

What I can tell you is that (as a Dmax owner) when you say "Isuzu diesels are kinda smoky" then I think that you are referring to the old technology diesel engines. The Dmax's 4JH1-TC Intercooled Turbo Charged Diesel burns cleaner emissions compared to yesteryear's engines. Perhaps if you research even more in the numerous threads regarding common rail direct diesels, you might be surprised that newer does not necessarily mean better .

The Tucson has been turning up good reviews inside out either from actual owners or auto reviewers. For me, the Hyundai brand is a force to reckon with in today's auto industry; ride or drive the ever popular Starex and you'll understand why it is more favored than it's korean cousin Kia Motors.

But the best advice I can really give you is to Test Drive BOTH cars to feel for yourself . Until today I'm amazed by the number of car buyers who invest in a ride that they have never even driven!

Good Luck!
    Last edited by Memphis Raines; January 8th, 2007 at 03:33 PM.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    If you don't have regular use for the pick up bed, it will just be dead real estate. A wagon will make more sense. The bed makes the vehicle significantly longer and reduces rear seat room. Considering that the rear seat of the DMax is not bad, the rear accomodations of the Tucson are better suited to the job of hauling people. Try to borrow a pick up and try to live with it on a day-in, day-out basis so you'll get a feel. Similarly, you can try living with a wagon also.

Even with a bedcover, I'm not really confortable with leaving my stuff in the bed of a pickup. Probably because I know how defeat the locks that come with the cover. I just finished repairing the locks on my cousin's Frontier. Prior to that she had to haul everything inside the cab. The family with luggage and all.

You won't be getting shortchanged with either so just get the one that fits your needs the best. I'd prolly get the Tucson (based on my needs). Yung 'gwapo' part, nasa nagdadala na lang siguro iyon.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Thanks guys. That's my dilemma actually. I'm a company nerd/executive and have no use for the bed in my regular day-to-day. Still, wouldn't the DMAX save me more gas money in the long run?

And can you guys tell me how much the accessories (not through casa) cost me?

Quote Originally Posted by OTEP View Post
    Yung 'gwapo' part, nasa nagdadala na lang siguro iyon.
    Oh and you are completely right about this. Still, I'm a big guy and I don't know kung bagay sa akin yung Tucson.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    I've driven the older version of the Dmax maybe for a week and I like the ride. The Tucson I haven't.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    how much is the tucson? we're also on the lookout for a diesel AUV/SUV, we have the same budget as yours

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by manongguard View Post
    . Still, I'm a big guy and I don't know kung bagay sa akin yung Tucson.
    If you are taller than 1.85M and weighs more than 120Kgs with matching bigote, then you are bigger and meaner looking than me Tama si Otep, as far as the "gwapo" thing is concerned , nasa nagdadala lang yan. I will not try to convince you to choose the Tucson over the Dmax, I am very satisfied tucson owner, and mine has the distinction of being the father of all tucs in the phils, hehehe, 2004 pa yung sa akin, korean domestic model ito.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    If you're not planning to do anything with the truck bed on a regular basis, get the Tucson. Try adding to your budget so you can get the CRDi Tucson. Yummy!

9. Join Date
    Oct 2003
    if you wont be needing a bigger space at the back, i suggest you get a tucson. mas madali e park.

Should I buy a Isuzu Dmax LX or a Hyundai Tucson?