New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Help po, naguguluhan po ako kung ano ang bibilhin, given na po na same price lang ang parts ng Nissan at Mazda, pero regarding sa FC, mas malakas ang Mazda 323 Familia 97 2nd Gen 1.6L EFI kesa Nissan Sentra Series 3 Super Saloon 97 EFI? Eh same year, then same 1.6L EFI sila? I am still schoosing between both, pero mejo lamang na yung Sentra, kasi uns sa A/C at T.Chain. Gusto ko lang mas ma-convince na sentra ung bibilhin ko. Thanks po sa lahat ng inputs ninyo

PS: Hehe, ano po difference ng 1.4L EX Saloon sa 1.6L Super Saloon? Gano kalaki ung agwat ng FC nila? Should people prefer SS than Ex Saloon?

2. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Series 3 syempre... Its got more features on the higher variants as compared to the 323. You get a great engine, great handling chassis, cool aircon in a very reliable package. I suggest you stay away from the 1.4, better to get the slightly bigger engine (which is still fuel efficient) than to be stuck with an underpowered engine that gets strained easily under heavier loads and/or higher speeds and gulping more fuel in the process while giving lackluster performance. Also, when you get one, retrofit the headlights to multireflector ones but retain the old grille. If you didn't get the Super Touring variant, I'd suggest you get the Super Touring bumpers and alloys for a sportier look.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Svertalfheim View Post
    Help po, naguguluhan po ako kung ano ang bibilhin, given na po na same price lang ang parts ng Nissan at Mazda, pero regarding sa FC, mas malakas ang Mazda 323 Familia 97 2nd Gen 1.6L EFI kesa Nissan Sentra Series 3 Super Saloon 97 EFI? Eh same year, then same 1.6L EFI sila? I am still schoosing between both, pero mejo lamang na yung Sentra, kasi uns sa A/C at T.Chain. Gusto ko lang mas ma-convince na sentra ung bibilhin ko. Thanks po sa lahat ng inputs ninyo
    The biggest pro/con of choosing the sentra 1.6L over the mazda 323 Familia is the fuel consumption.

The Mazda 323 Familia, even when driven conservatively drinks gasoline like there is no tomorrow. This is probably due to the low gearing of the car which gives it good acceleration/torque for city driving. If gasoline was cheap (as it was in the 90s), it would not be a major issue but unfortunately with gasoline prices at P49/L levels for unleaded, it is definitely a major issue.

Example, years ago me and friends decided to go overnight at a small resort in Quezon province. We drove our cars there. Since my own car was in the shop, I borrowed my parent's Mazda 323 Familia. By the time we reached the resort, my fuel gauge was reading a touch UNDER half left in the fuel tank. My friends were just under 3/4 tank left. To reach Metro Manila, I had to stop over at a gasoline station while the others didn't have to.

Discussing further about other pros/cons about the Sentra VS Mazda323 Familia is kinda pointless na.

Anyway, the Familia is actually a nice car (beyond the fuel guzzling engine). The 1.6L engine is torquey and responsive. The stock suspension is comfortable & predictable but a little too soft if you are pushing for near limits of handling. The interior space is actually better than the Sentra with more head room and legroom at the front & back. The interior plastics do have a "cheap" feeling but the black/dark color helps hide that. Aircon is adequate for most but you might find it barely manageable on very hot days. Trunk space is average for this class of car. Externally the styling is pleasant to the eye.

The Sentra (B14) 1.6L has a few advantages. Better fuel economy 8-9km/L (sentra) vs 5km/L familia) in city conditions. The aircon is much better and remains cold even on hottest of days. Stock suspension feels a touch better in the corners (the Familia yaws/tilts a little excessively). The Sentra 1.6L are also fitted with power folding/unfolding side mirrors which is a nice touch, handy when you are parking in tighter spots.

As "GTi" mentioned, you can get a Sentra Super Saloon and upgrade it's looks with simple mods of front bumper, headlights and grill. For the headlights, you can get OEM "clear" faceted headlights which freshens up the front look of the car by at least five years. Match that with the matching front signal lights, "Super-Touring" style bumper and JDM grill (Nissan Sunny style) for the complete "updated" look.
    Last edited by ghosthunter; February 14th, 2011 at 09:49 AM.

4. Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Ok thank you po haha, ngayon mas convinced na ako na Sentra nga bibilhin ko, super saloon siguro, nakuha ko na rin yung point kung bakit mas ok ang 1.6L na sentra kesa 1.4L, thanks!

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Owned both cars and i can concur with what GH mentioned. In the end, the Sentra gets my vote.

Series 3 SS 97 1.6L VS Mazda 323 97 1.6L