New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Nov 2007
    is the difference in the price of the 2 cars really worth it? lets assume that they have a ifference of 25-40k.

would you buy the SS even if it is priced higher than the EX? why? (lets assume that they are both in good quality)

TIA! :P

2. Join Date
    Mar 2007
    suggest you focus on checking how the car was maintained rather than buying if for features.

check the suspension well (you'll know once you drive the car into uneven roads) since unmaintained nissans usually have noisy suspensions

check the body. rust may have built-up on door hinges, engine mounts, trunk gutters, running boards, lower parts of the fender, etc.

check the interior - i'm not quite sure there's a super saloon model for the series 4 since the last super saloon is the B14 or series 3. anyway, if we're talking about the series 3, the SS has a better looking interior (more cloth) and has split folding rear seats. check these for damages. the SS also has a cloth ceiling upholstery which makes it more difficult to clean compared to the EX which has a vinyl (plastic/leatherette) upholstery that can be easily cleaned by a wet rag or any cheap cleaner. i think the carpet is also different so check this well for worn-out or damaged areas by removing the aftermarket mattings.

check the electronics - airconditioning and a/c switches, lights, wipers, wiper washer, rear defogger, interior lamp, power locks, power windows. take time to drive the car in a very warm weather. normally, nissan airconditioners can cool the interior of the car in less than 5 minutes (blower set at 2, thermostat set to 1/4, car with 5 occupants) in a very warm day, provided that the car was not parked outdoors. A/C of SS and EX are standard. The SS however has a heater function which we actually do not need here in the philippines, except perhaps during early mornings in tagaytay or baguio city

engine - Well, for one, the SS has a 1600 engine while the EX has a 1400. If you're into power, go for the SS. If you're more into fuel economy, choose the EX. noise level should be the same, unless the owner has made some aftermarket modifications like free flow mufflers and a racing filter that will make the engine 'louder'. check the engine for unusual/irritating noises. an unusual noise means additional cost for u

check the fluid levels and pipes for possible leaks - brake fluid and automatic transmission fluid (if a/t), power steering fluid, coolant reservoir, windshield washer, etc. there should be no leak whatsoever

check the engine itself for oil leaks at the top or bottom. oil "perspiration" or oil residue on the engine only means that you need to replace some gaskets (cost for u) and seals. you should not find any oil residues in a good, well maintained engine.

so as i said, everything depends on how the car was maintained. with this, i should say that the 20-40k difference for this model is really not worth it, feature wise -

3. Join Date
    Nov 2007
    i really appreciate the complete reply and comparison of the 2! :P

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    kyoots, I think the local market refers to the last facelift of the B14 (the pre-Exalta ones) as the Series 4.

My brother had a B14 (but of the very limited edition '151' variety).

The 1600 Super Saloon model does have a driver's side airbag (if that's important to you). Assuming both are in the same age and condition, the SS will really fetch a higher price because it is the top of the line variant for the series.

I'd still get the 1.6 if it was in good condition. Because I like the 1.6 engine (a good blend of power and economy), the plusher interior, the split-fold rear seats, and the better looking exterior (AFAIK, the 1.4 didn't come with side door protector mouldings).

The engines of both vehicles are relatively bulletproof unless they were abused. Based on the B13 (with a 1.4 engine) at the hospital, oil leaks are pretty easy to fix (the usual suspects like cam/crank seals, etc.).

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

5. Join Date
    Mar 2007
    thanks sir otep...yes, the SS is equipped with a driver's-side airbag. btw, let's not forget the power folding side view mirrors that's unique in its class.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Yeah. Even the B14-based GEN I Exaltas didn't have power folding side mirrors.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

7. Join Date
    Nov 2007
    these are great information. thanks sirs

yudyin, kung sentra kunin mo, mas ok kung yung 99 GTS manual--naka body kits na yun, from the factory.

supersallon nga 1.6L ECCS (GA16) ang 1.4L EX 1.4l carb 16valve.. may mga alpower, pero mas cheaper ang interior cloth.

eto ha, best models if you can get a 99GTS-manual: it is like having a SS, na may original GTS bodykit...wala ka na trip sa fiberglasan/maghahanap pa ng bodykits--future mod mo nalang dito is SR20DET.

or get an SE-saloon manual: eto may ABS.

00 exalta STA, just check all the electronics on board. pati yung matic, dapat in perfect order yan. sunroof tilts and slides perfectly, at check for warpage ng takip ng sunroof-pag warped yung cover na yun--that is a sign na may leak yun...auto-climate ang aircon ng exalta, kaya test mo set mo at auto mode 18 deg.c.. dapat fufull-blast yung blower then pag malamig na hihina ang blower, 2-din JVC system at may 12-disc changer sa ilalim ng front passenger seat. may phone bay yan for nokia 6110/7110 phone...

ung 01-02 exalta grandeur all features ng 00 exalta in a new body plus: vcd system, speed and park distance HUD(heads-up display)

kung series 2 body (B13), best to get is the SE_saloon nga, dahil may abs to.

ps: kung mapagiipunan mo at balak mo parin magloan, may NISMO-kitted na 2006 sentra 1.8L--nismo airfilter, badges, radiator caps, cables, bast kulang nalang makina na NISMO-tuned..

SENTRA (S4) EX or SS