New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    May 2012
    Anyone here can give me the Pros and Cons of any of these 2012 sedans...
    Civic
    Corolla Altis
    Cruze
    Elantra
    Focus
    Lancer Ex
    Mazda3

first car ko kasi kaya d ko talaga alam ano bibilin ko,... and i really need the pros and cons to compare and decide kung ano talaga bagay sakin and wala pa kasi akong nakitang thread na nagcocompare ng mga sedans Thanks mga bro

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    go for the newest one...civic

3. Join Date
    May 2006
    Why not test drive all of them, then u decide.
    Tingnan mo kung ano gusto mo sa tindig, porma, comfort, usability...etc
    From 1.6L to 2.0L, ang pinagpipilian mo, sa FC, pare pareho lng lahat sila, basta compare mo, same engine types.

Luma lng nga talaga yun Mazda 3, pero ikaw na maghusga.

4. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Focus TDCi, Corolla Altis, Lancer EX then Civic.

Kung habol mo elegant looks Civic talaga.

Forget the mazda 3 di ka matutuwa

5. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    New Mazda 3 has the same old lethargic engines carried over, along with a heavily jacked up price tag to rival the JDM Civic's. The old 3 was known for it's underpowered 1.6 and when the new one came 3 years late, they actually did nothing about it!

6. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    It's best to test drive them all. If you're planning to own and drive it for a LONG time, I say stick with the big 3 Japs (Toyota, Honda, Mitsubishi).

7. Join Date
    Mar 2007
    If it's 2.0 --- Focus TDCI syempre
    If 1.6 - 1.8 --- Civic or Altis (depende na lang sa taste mo kasi halos parehas na silang elegant look eh (pang me edad na dating...)

8. Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Or if you want you can just buy my Sonata Premium, it's almost new

9. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by GTi View Post
    New Mazda 3 has the same old lethargic engines carried over, along with a heavily jacked up price tag to rival the JDM Civic's. The old 3 was known for it's underpowered 1.6 and when the new one came 3 years late, they actually did nothing about it!
    The 2.0 engine of the Mazda 3 isn't lethargic - the 1.6 is, definitely, but the 2.0 Mazda3 is a totally different car. The chassis of the 3 is still as taut as ever, and with a 2.0 engine, it becomes an ideal pair.
    Having driven the new Mazda 3 2.0, I can say that it's as dynamic as the sportiest of the compacts. The 5-speed transmission is better than the old 4-speed since it reacts much faster, and because of its better gear spacing, you're kept in the sweet spot of the powerband longer.
    However, when looking at a car, you can't disregard price, and this is where the new Mazda 3 fails, regardless of engine. I'd say that the cars are 100-150k too expensive. I'd consider the 2.0R if it was priced at or below 1.2M, since I wouldn’t mind trading rear seat space (my biggest gripe with the Mz3) for a more involving driving experience and good looks (the smiley face appeals to me). The 1.6 though, even if it was priced at ~850k, still disappoints because of that engine.

Going back to the topic, if you’re looking at the 2.0 models, my preferences are as follows:

1. Ford Focus TDCi – a fast yet thrifty diesel engine, mated to a dual-clutch gearbox and a capable chassis, this car is both sensible and exciting. It’s getting old, and a new one is coming, but if you had to buy now, I think this is the best choice. Of course, the feature set and interior design might be aging, but personally, these are quirks that I think aren’t all that bad.

2. Mazda 3 2.0R – Expensive and cramped. Yet to me, I’ve always liked it. This isn’t probably a purely rational perspective, but the Mz3 does have its merits – great driving experience, lots of features, good looks in and out. I think that it’s a car that’s best driven to be appreciated, but the price is really prohibitive that this car becomes an acquired taste.

3. Toyota Corolla Altis 2.0V – as my daily driver, this is the car that I know most. And because I value driving experience highest, the Altis doesn’t come up on top of my list, because even though the engine is quick and the chassis is light, it still doesn’t handle very dynamically. In terms of features and looks though, this car’s really hard to fault. It’s very comfortable too. If spirited driving isn’t really your thing, this one takes the cake.

4. Mitsubishi Lancer EX GT-A – This car’s got a great engine, lots of space, and good handling. Features are great too, and though a lot say that the interior’s shoddy, I kinda like it. What keeps me from loving this car though is the fact that I know that it will always be under shadow of the Evo X. Not really a rational justification, but it’s just my personal preference anyway.
    I find the Subaru Impreza 2.0 to be too dulled down, the Cruze 2.0 VDCi to be too expensive, slow and unexciting (despite the nice handling), and the Sentra 2.0 to be a tad too boring and bare.

For the mid-range compacts (those that are generally less than a million and have smaller engines):

1. Hyundai Elantra GLS – great styling, great engine, decent handling, gobs of interior space, and nice features, this car is a great all-rounder. It feels very upscale when you drive it, yet the price is actually competitive. Durability and after-sales service is questioned by many, but personally I’d take the supposed risk with this car.

2. Toyota Corolla 1.6V - as said above, very comfy, and rather feature-packed. The 4-speed auto really upsets me since it's slow and doesn't want to downshift no matter how much you prod the throttle, but it's still really fuel efficient. Power may not be as much as the others in its class which have 1.8-liter engines, but it's adequate for sedate driving, be it in the city or on the highway.

3. Chevrolet Cruze 1.8 LS - large, comfy, looks good. Transmission's a big let-down though.

4. Honda Civic 1.8 EXi - dulled down compared to the FD, expensive, definitely trying to stray away from its sportier predecessor. This might be good for those who want a more sedate and comfy Honda. Still prohibitively expensive though.

5. Mitsubishi Lancer EX MX - a 2-liter car for under 1M, and the specs aren't too shabby. Drive may not be as good as the GT-A model, but what really turns me off with this car is that it's nowhere near as attractive as the GT-A. Without the 18-inchers and kits, I feel that the EX really has an awkward stance that looks to chunky to me. Again, a personal bias.

At the end of the day though, you should try your best to get to drive these cars you're looking at. Specs might be impressive and reviews might be great, but it still all boils down to you - if it makes you happy, then go for it.
    Last edited by jut703; May 5th, 2012 at 02:42 PM.

10. Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Nice comparison sir jut703,detailed and comprehensive.my vote also goes for the altis.1.6g nga lang po sa amin ahehe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Sedans comparison.....