New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Hello Sirs / Ma'ams!

I've been backthreading and I've read a lot about the Getz and Picanto comparisons. But specifically, when it comes to safety, how do you think these cars fare? We're thinking of getting a small car for its FC and the low tag price but we're worried about how safe they are.

Aside from these two cars, do you recommend any other sub-subcompact cars (of similar FC, and price range for second hand units) based on safety?

Thanks!

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002

3. Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Thanks Ghosthunter! I actually saw these results before posting this thread but I'm not actually sure how to interpret them (aside from the Star ratings) and if the test results are reliable.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Barney101 View Post
    Thanks Ghosthunter! I actually saw these results before posting this thread but I'm not actually sure how to interpret them (aside from the Star ratings) and if the test results are reliable.

Simple, more stars/points, the better.

Or you can look at the passenger protection rating. Green & yellow are fine. If it gets to the browns & red, you can get seriously hurt in an accident.

So given that, the Hyundai GETZ is the better car than the Picanto in terms of safety.

As for the Euro NCAP test being reliable, it is a standard testing done in Europe which have cars that are sold here. Alternative is the US based tests but many cars here aren't available there.
    Last edited by ghosthunter; February 1st, 2011 at 12:21 PM.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    We had two Getz. Sold the other one.

The Getz gets my vote for safety. Its sheet metal is definitely thicker than my "onion-skinned" Civic. But this comes at a price... fuel economy. FE is not as good as you would expect from a 1.1L (what we have) due to the poor power to weight ratio. It's a tank, nevertheless.

If you're settling on the Getz, get the stronger gas model or CRDi diesel, if available.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Thanks Ghosthunter!

Oj88 - thanks! how's the FE of your Getz? 1.1L pa naman tinitngnan namin.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Barney101 View Post
    Thanks Ghosthunter!

Oj88 - thanks! how's the FE of your Getz? 1.1L pa naman tinitngnan namin.
    It's technically my brother's car. I've driven it in the city a few times and we both get roughly 7-9 km/L. It's about the same FE as my 1.8L Civic.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Talaga po? wow nakaka-dissapoint naman. Iyong mga nababasa ko namang iba nakaka 12-14k/L raw sila.

9. Join Date
    Apr 2010
    wala nang crdi version of the getz na naibebenta ngayon, pero are you also considering the i10?

10. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    grabe naman yon, 1.1l consumes 7-9km/l! My 2.0 innova consumes the halos the same at 8kpl.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Safety? Getz or Picanto