New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by vefyjeph View Post
    Hello Tsikoteers!

I bought a brand new civic FD m/t last Nov2010. So far, good driving experience naman. Medyo ramdam lang lakas ng gas pag i-cocompute. Hehehe. So I gave up computing.

My dilemma now is that my wife to be is having a hard time learning to drive manual car. Busy din ako sa work kaya di ko maturuan. So choice is to replace the car with automatic tranny.

I talked to my bank and they are ok to have the car traded. I talked to a honda dealer and learned that it already lost PhP200k value if I decide to trade it in. I also asked how much it will cost if I have the tranny replaced by the automatic one. It's also around PhP200k! Haaayyy.

Sayang, before I bought this car, my choices was Mazda3. I already paid reservation but backed out in the last minute. Then went with Honda City 1.5 AT, Chevy Cruze MT, Honda Jazz and finally ended up with a Civic...

Sorry napakwento na. Hehehe. I am seeking your advice on how I can replace the civic MT and what to replace it with. So far below are my choices:

1. Honda Jazz 1.5
    2. Hyundai Elantra 1.6 AT
    3. Hyundai Accent 1.6 AT
    4. Corolla Altis 1.6 AT
    5. Ford Fiesta 1.6
    6. Honda City 1.5
    7. Honda Civic 1.8 AT

Medyo iba iba category but I am ok with either compact or sub-compact car. Probably CUV/SUV din kasi magkakafamily na...

I am open to getting a brand new again or a 2nd hand one but of year 2010 or 2009. Mas ok kung 2nd hand para di na ako gumastos pa ulit malaki. If I'll get 2nd hand, wala pa ako alam na reputable dealers...

First consideration is longetivity/durability kasi maybe I'll keep it for 10years.
    Second is fuel consumption kasi pataas na ng pataas ang gas.
    Third is comfortable na ride and good drive.

Thank you in advance!
    mukhang mahirap talagang mag-aral ng manual tranny, sa observation ko pa lang, mukhang tinatamad na ko. but, of course, should i find enough time for it, gusto ko rin sanang mag-aral pag dirve ng m/t. kaya lang kung minsan naiisip ko rin, what for? nasanay na kasi ako sa a/t and di naman ako mag-da-drive ng car na di sa akin. and kung bibili ako ng another car in the future, syempre, a/t na. unless, manalo ako sa mga raffle promo ng car as a prize na manual tranny, then, i might be compelled to learn how to drive a manual tranny.

2. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    *vefyjeph - mas magandang idea nga na kumuha ka na lang nang bagong car na matic para kay misis mo.. at least 2 yung sasakyan nyo.. pag isa kasi.. tapos ikaw lang parati may dala.. di rin masasanay mag drive si misis..

3. Join Date
    Aug 2011
    thanks for the inputs guys. I'll convince my wife to go to driving school again. She already went to a driving school using MT car but was not able to practice after. Then she went to US, and again went to driving school using AT car. One year sya dun using AT car. So dun na sya nasanay. If ever, 3rd time na nya sa driving school. Hehehe.

I'll also consider swap with those having AT that wants to go MT route para di naman lugi. I'll talk to my bank (Metrobank) kung pano magiging aproach kung ganito gagawin. Parang di na namin kasi afford (maintenance/amortization) if we will have a 2nd car...

Nagcompute din kasi ako, yung 200k depreciation is sa current value nung car. Then ibabayad ko pa yun sa remaining balance sa bank, and considering nag-interest na rin sa bank so parang another 80k - 100k pa mawawala...

4. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Best scenario is to let your wife learn how to drive manual car. It is not really hard as she might think it is. It'll take just a few days of driving school lessons and a few weeks of practice before your wife will be able to drive a manual car as she would a matic car. But for an A/T car, I'd suggest one that has lots of space and, due to high fuel prices, very good fuel economy. With these criteria, the Elantra 1.6DCVVT A/T is a very good choice. The power figures are very high for a 1.6L engine and the DCVVT engine along with 6 speed tranny should give you great gas mileage.

5. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Have your wife enrolled on a driving school, pick the Civic too for her to start with.

Though I really believe that some people are just hopeless when it comes to sticks, that's why whenever your wife ends up so, I'd suggest that you buy her a small car instead -- a second hand i10, getz, picanto .. or heck, even the small Chevrolets !

In that way, you shell out about 200k too and you get to have two cars on your garage pa. The other one can even be your coding vehicle.

You know, as they say, two is better than one ...

6. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    We all know how most women treat their cars. Being "lady driven" isn't a compliment as many would think. :rofl: So would you consider a 2nd hand, more durable and taller diesel A/T vehicle like the Crosswind since may mababang sasakyan na kayo? It'll be more secure for your wife din kapag nakatagpo ng baha and the added visibility is a boon and since its length is not much more than a compact sedan (the XTO variant), madaling i-manuever.

7. Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Magpalit ka nalang ng asawa! Yung marunong mag drive ng stick! :cheers:

Seriously, either you trade it for a CUV nalang, or keep your civic. Ipag-drive mo nalang wife mo if you have the time.

8. Join Date
    Aug 2010
    *TS

Keep your Civic. (Mukhang 1.8 V M/T iyan... HEHEHE!) then get a 2nd hand A/T AUV/CUV/SUV for your wife pang-grocery and for your week-ends with your family. Also, if you live in or near Metro Manila, look-out for the plate and be sure that it doesn't have the same ending as your Civic for Number Coding purposes.

9. Join Date
    Aug 2011
    *GTi
    I started driving using crosswind, yung MT rin. So I wanted a smaller one for a change kaya I ended up with the Civic. I realized after na mas OK ang CUV/SUV sa road condition natin. Parang ako nasasakatan twing mapupunta sa malaking lubak.

*genesischain
    LOL! :P I am eyeing for a Tucson kasi yun din gusto ni wifey. Ang ayaw lang nya di daw digital ang speedometer. hahaha.

*guigui
    1.8S MT civic.

I had talked to my wife to be, try ko muna sya turuan. Nakapagdrive na sya ng around 5km on straight road kaso hanggang third gear lang. hirap pa magpalit pero di naman namatayan sa arangkada. kaso nung nasa kanto na kelangan turn left, nagpanic na. hehehe. If di sya matuto this year, probably next year na lang kami magpalit ng car.

10. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by vefyjeph View Post
    *GTi
    I started driving using crosswind, yung MT rin. So I wanted a smaller one for a change kaya I ended up with the Civic. I realized after na mas OK ang CUV/SUV sa road condition natin. Parang ako nasasakatan twing mapupunta sa malaking lubak.

*genesischain
    LOL! :P I am eyeing for a Tucson kasi yun din gusto ni wifey. Ang ayaw lang nya di daw digital ang speedometer. hahaha.

*guigui
    1.8S MT civic.

I had talked to my wife to be, try ko muna sya turuan. Nakapagdrive na sya ng around 5km on straight road kaso hanggang third gear lang. hirap pa magpalit pero di naman namatayan sa arangkada. kaso nung nasa kanto na kelangan turn left, nagpanic na. hehehe. If di sya matuto this year, probably next year na lang kami magpalit ng car.
    Ako naman nagsimulang magdrive sa 1st gen Revo GLX diesel M/T and that car is still in our family for harabas purposes. Yup, masakit nga kapag winawasak ang Civic sa lubak. At alam naman natin kapag babae, lalo na yung baguhin walang pakialam dun. A car is a commodity and a utility and that is that. So I suggested na yung medyo matibay at mataas na sasakyan. Para na rin di takot sa baha. Kaya baka you may want to consider the A/T Crosswind.

OK lang yan! Ako rin dati nung bago palang ako sa manual, nahirapan ako magshift kapag lumiliko at napakahirap umabante sa mga hanging. Pero practice lang naman yan. In my case, it took me about one to two months of frequent practice to gain mastery. At kung napapanic tuwing liliko kapag malawak naman yung turn I suggest you let her to shift to neutral habang lumiliko kung may momentum pa naman siya, at magshift after she makes the turn that way mas hindi nakakataranta at lesser chances na mamamatayan ng makina.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Replacing my M/T car with an A/T one