New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Hello everyone. I am planning on building a project car. My options are as follows:

'95-'00 galant with 4g93T GDI transplant
    '96-'98 accord with d15b vtec transplant
    '94-'98 corona with 3sgte transplant
    '95-'97 camry with 3sgte transplant

I am not a racer. I just want decent performance with better fuel economy as these engines are all rated above 130HP. I am sure many of you find these cars appealing but hate the fuel economy. These engines are smaller than the stock engine but have higher horsepower (as compared to the original engine) except the toyota 3sgte which has the same size as the stock 3sfe but have higher rated horsepower.

I am very interested in doing these engine swaps as the prices of all these cars are very attractive now because of the gas prices. I want to experience driving a car for a change.

Here are my requirements:

- fuel economy
    - decent performance
    - good ride / suspension
    - good ac
    - executive look
    - nice classy interior
    - availability of parts
    - interior space and comfort
    - crash confidence

Hope to hear from you gurus especially those who have actual experience with these engines. thank you in advance.

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by oceanrider88 View Post
    Hello everyone. I am planning on building a project car. My options are as follows:

'95-'00 galant with 4g93T GDI transplant
    '96-'98 accord with d15b vtec transplant
    '94-'98 corona with 3sgte transplant
    '95-'97 camry with 3sgte transplant

I am not a racer. I just want decent performance with better fuel economy as these engines are all rated above 130HP. I am sure many of you find these cars appealing but hate the fuel economy. These engines are smaller than the stock engine but have higher horsepower (as compared to the original engine) except the toyota 3sgte which has the same size as the stock 3sfe but have higher rated horsepower.

I am very interested in doing these engine swaps as the prices of all these cars are very attractive now because of the gas prices. I want to experience driving a car for a change.

Here are my requirements:

- fuel economy
    - decent performance
    - good ride / suspension
    - good ac
    - executive look
    - nice classy interior
    - availability of parts
    - interior space and comfort
    - crash confidence

Hope to hear from you gurus especially those who have actual experience with these engines. thank you in advance.
    Well, just to get this out...

In no way can you consider a 2.0 turbocharged engine "economical" as compared to the stock engines in these cars.

Only "economical" engine amongst the lot is the D15. And a D15B into an Accord? The 130 hp Japanese D15B is likely less powerful than anything you can find in a recent Accord... and on paper hp doesn't matter much if the small powerplant doesn't have enough torque to move the Accord's heavy bum.

That's not to mention the fact that the swap will be difficult... indeed, problematic, at the very least. Custom engine mounts, custom rewiring (the most difficult part), custom machined axles (the D15's axles are too short, and don't fit the Accord's CV Joints), and there's no guarantee that the engine will talk to the instrument gauges.

Same issue with the 4G93T and the Galant. The turbo engine that's easy to fit into the Galant would be the 4G63T from the Evolution. (That's a cool swap)

The Camry or Corona would be easiest. And you're definitely not getting better fuel economy.

If you want the experience of an executive car without paying for the high price of fuel, the only thing you can do is get one in very good running condition and LPG it.

I'd personally go for a manual transmission Accord VTi-L amongst these (at least it was available in manual). And instead of going for crazy swaps that you aren't sure will work, spend the money on repairs and refreshing the car.

And if you still want to swap, a B20/B16 VTEC hybrid will give you some "oomph" on the Accord, or a Prelude H22A. But if you swap down to a smaller engine, like a 170 hp B16A, looking for performance and economy, you're not going to get what you want.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

3. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    seems impossible. hehehe ;)

You also have to make the car lighter. I bet you'll save more fuel if you'd upgrade the engines to say, 3.0L V6 in the 97 Camry. Put a turbo to the 3SGE (3SGTE?) in the Corona, 2.2L transplant from the last Prelude SH to the Accord etc.

and of course, get a manual tranny. As surplus swaps go, I think all of them is available in MT.

Well, it may, in manila's typical traffic, yield just about the same FC as the stock engine but will produce a dramatic effect in performance for sure. The smaller but higher HP engine just wont produce the results you're after IMO.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Big heavy car bodies with big turbo engines. And you are looking for decent FC figures? It won't happen.

You will have to look or a lightweight body and combine that with a relatively powerful and torquey non-turbo engine.

I don't know if you would agree with my suggestion though.

98-99 Nissan Sentra Exalta with a SR20DE engine swap.

The Exalta was a mini-luxury sedan when it came out. Since it shares mechanical parts with the B14 series sentras, parts will not be that hard to find although certain body trim pieces might be pricey to replace. The original Exalta came with A/T only option but an engine/tranny swap can solve that.

The Exalta does weigh a bit more than the Super Saloon model sentra but it still weighs a lot less than the other options on the list.

The stock Exalta looks executive but aftermarket wheels, and some lowering will give it a more aggresive appeal.

The SR20DE motor is rated for 140 to 145hp stock and can be tuned easily to get up 170 or 180hp with the proper I/H/E mods, fuel controller and some dyno time.
    Last edited by ghosthunter; July 15th, 2008 at 12:12 AM.

5. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Actually, the interior of the Exalta is really nice, but it's a bit tight. With a better engine, it'd make a great highway cruiser.

There are a few Exaltas on the market (secondhand) that have already had the SR20DE or SR20DET swap done. Real sleepers... since the stock Exalta is pig-slow, most people don't expect one to rip by them like they're standing still...

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

6. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    Actually, the interior of the Exalta is really nice, but it's a bit tight. With a better engine, it'd make a great highway cruiser.

There are a few Exaltas on the market (secondhand) that have already had the SR20DE or SR20DET swap done. Real sleepers... since the stock Exalta is pig-slow, most people don't expect one to rip by them like they're standing still...
    OT though, can the SR20 run on LPG?

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by b0y37 View Post
    OT though, can the SR20 run on LPG?
    yes.

8. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    yes.
    yey! 30k more, and ill get that sr20 powered ST na

Thanks sir GH.

9. Join Date
    Jul 2013

10. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Nice necro!

Galing nito. Awesome awesome project car.

Project car advice please (4g93T / d15b vtec3 / 3sgte)