New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Pero that was what I was telling you. . . Madali sya i-maneuver despite it's size. . . since boxy sya, short nose, wala trunk at elevated driving position. . Napakadali isingit-singit at madali i-park as long as regular sizes yun mga parking spaces. . . Kung gusto ipagsiksikan sa parking . . . . You may exit/enter pa from the sliding door =)

2. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mcoy123 View Post
    Pero that was what I was telling you. . . Madali sya i-maneuver despite it's size. . . since boxy sya, short nose, wala trunk at elevated driving position. . Napakadali isingit-singit at madali i-park as long as regular sizes yun mga parking spaces. . . Kung gusto ipagsiksikan sa parking . . . . You may exit/enter pa from the sliding door =)
    Good point, Chief mcoy123. Thank you!

3. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Hi Chiefs,

I haven't bought the van yet. I don't know if this is off topic, but I came across this Isuzu Alterra (2005 to 2007) which somehow is within my budget. Do you think it is a better alternative versus the Previa, Innova, Starex?
    Here's what I think about the Alterra:
    Pros: 1. SUV (Pick-up actually) Based, 2. More Rigid structure, 3. More Power and Torque?, 4. Higher stance (better wading capability), 5. More fuel efficient?, 6. Parts availability? (honestly I don't know)
    Cons: 1. Higher maintenance cost (more oil, Higher filter costs), 2. Higher parts cost? (Suspension, Tires, etc), 3. Vehicle length (Concern on parking especially on tight spaces)

What do you think Chiefs, If you were in my case, would you rather go with the Alterra instead of the other vehicles posted before?

Thank you!

4. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jvnj View Post
    Hi Chiefs,

I haven't bought the van yet. I don't know if this is off topic, but I came across this Isuzu Alterra (2005 to 2007) which somehow is within my budget. Do you think it is a better alternative versus the Previa, Innova, Starex?
    Pros: 1. SUV (Pick-up actually) Based, 2. More Rigid structure, 3. More Power and Torque?, 4. Higher stance (better wading capability), 5. More fuel efficient?, 6. Parts availability? (honestly I don't know)
    Cons: 1. Higher maintenance cost (more oil, Higher filter costs), 2. Higher parts cost? (Suspension, Tires, etc), 3. Vehicle length (Concern on parking especially on tight spaces)

What do you think Chiefs, If you were in my case, would you rather go with the Alterra instead of the other vehicles posted before?

Thank you!
    if you will drive in a tight neighborhood, or your garage is small, you may consider the smaller vehicle and the tighter turning radius.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    The Alterra would be better against the Previa & Starex. But not the Innova.

I heard that vehicle has a stiff ride. Well since its an Isuzu it should be reliable. Have you test driven any of the cars from your choices? If not I suggest you do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    if you will drive in a tight neighborhood, or your garage is small, you may consider the smaller vehicle and the tighter turning radius.
    I was aware of the Alterra's dimesions, chief dr. d. Though its presence, space and probably durability is what it made me attracted to it.
    Thank you for your thoughts, dr. d

7. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by benchph1 View Post
    The Alterra would be better against the Previa & Starex. But not the Innova.

I heard that vehicle has a stiff ride. Well since its an Isuzu it should be reliable. Have you test driven any of the cars from your choices? If not I suggest you do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Chief benchph1, i honestly havent test driven some of my target vehicles yet (except the innova) , but i heard about the stiffness of the Alterra's. Is it really far from the innova's? I guess youre right, a test drive is the best solution.
    Thank you for your thoughts, chief benchph1

8. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Hi Chiefs,

Thank you!
    I've never been a fan of the Alterra's looks. But looks aside, it is definitely a dependable vehicle in my books.

Regarding size concerns, it is not all that wide. It isn't particularly tall either. It is quite long at 4.95m, and IIRC, shares the pickup's limo-like wheelbase. But we have a Carnival, which is larger than the Alterra in all dimensions. It is not all that hard to manuever and park, especially once you get used to it. Though a backup camera is definitely a good investment.

I used to drive a Revo daily. It had a leaf sprung rear end. Ride quality wasn't half bad. Hardly bouncy at all. And then the Innova, despite the multilink rear, isn't particularly limo-like either.

IMHO, the 4JJ1 engine is the biggest selling point of the car. Still employed in the MUX, and in the Elf truck line for about a decade now. Durability is almost guaranteed.

I suggest you test drive both the Starex and Alterra to see which one appeals to your heart more.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

9. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by GTi View Post
    I've never been a fan of the Alterra's looks. But looks aside, it is definitely a dependable vehicle in my books.

Regarding size concerns, it is not all that wide. It isn't particularly tall either. It is quite long at 4.95m, and IIRC, shares the pickup's limo-like wheelbase. But we have a Carnival, which is larger than the Alterra in all dimensions. It is not all that hard to manuever and park, especially once you get used to it. Though a backup camera is definitely a good investment.

I used to drive a Revo daily. It had a leaf sprung rear end. Ride quality wasn't half bad. Hardly bouncy at all. And then the Innova, despite the multilink rear, isn't particularly limo-like either.

IMHO, the 4JJ1 engine is the biggest selling point of the car. Still employed in the MUX, and in the Elf truck line for about a decade now. Durability is almost guaranteed.

I suggest you test drive both the Starex and Alterra to see which one appeals to your heart more.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
    Hi Chief GTi,

I also used to drive a Revo, then the Avanza. Back then, I also owned a Delica, other than that, I usually own a sedan. Comfort wise, those three I mentioned are far from a sedan, but the seating capacity pays for its shortcoming. Yes, given the Alterra's suspension set-up, I think I can live with it. Sorry if this is of topic, comparing with the Starex (2005-2007 model), do you think the Alterra is much better in terms of drive-ability, durability, acceleration, economy, parts and maintenance? Space wise, it is definitely the Starex.

Thank you for your thoughts, Chief GTi.

10. Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Hi Chiefs,

Thank you!
    Be sure to check if the 3rd row space and luggage area are enough for you.
    Sitting in the 3rd row is still manageable (at least for now) for the kids in our family. They're at most 4'10".

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast