New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2013
    This will be my first post here and I really need your help...

I finally got the approval of my wife to get a car there in PHL.

We are based overseas and the car will be basically used during our vacations and my wife's business trips.

Here are basic things that I need

1. Price... It should be less than 750k... I have to put a limit.
    2. Trunk Space... I need at least 3 bags to fit... 2 pcs Check in and 1 pc Carry on luggage.
    3. Leg room... It should comfortably fit 3 passengers of at least 5'7 in height
    4. A/T... my wife will drive it during her business trips
    5. Reliable... Car will be used by my in laws when we're not there, I don't want to hear car problems while I'm in another country.
    6. Fuel efficiency... min of 8kms/liter (its the mileage I got when I owned a 1993 Corolla).
    7. Durability... Car will be used for a minimum of 10 years
    8. Friendly customer service... As I said, car will be mostly used by in laws and I will be asking them to take care of the car's PMS.

Options...

Nissan Sentra 1.3 GX (AT) - our first choice... Since its cheap! We know 2 people who used to own one and we did not hear any significant complains about the car... Only issue I have against it is its age...

Hyundai Accent 1.4 GL - I have seen 2 issues against this car, the knocking engine and the soft suspension...

Ford Fiesta Trend 1.4 (5-Door, AT) - Not sure if it has the trunk space I need, but (IMO) best looking car in my choices

Ford Fiesta Trend 1.4 (4-Door, AT) - Looks good... Planning to see an actual unit on my next vacation.

2014 Vios - this will be a hard sell to my wife since it will definitely be used by Taxi companies. Its also the most expensive (2013 model is around 750k already and will have a difficult time not to consider the City at 780k)

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Well, the Sentra GX is also used as a taxi (although not the A/T version).

I gotta agree though, that despite it's age and pedestrian looks, the GX makes for a good and comfortable ride. Just don't expect excellent fuel consumption marks.

3. Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Vios ka na Sir, lalo na kung 10 years mo gusto magamit, at least sa spares hindi sasakit ulo mo.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I'd choose the Vios amongst the above choices. Doesn't matter really if "ginagawang taxi" (that's one of the worst excuses not to choose a car if you ask me).

How much is the new Almera a/t?

5. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by vinj View Post
    How much is the new Almera a/t?
    P760,000 for the Almera Base A/T according to BPI's calculator on Top Gear.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Have you checked the Rio AT
    its 720k I think with a 5 year warranty
    The only problem is if you check the Rio thread, fuel economy ranges wildly from 5-17km/L

How about an Avanza
    Im not sure how much it is, Its trunk space is much bigger than any of your choices, should be very easy to maintain
    Its a bit boring sadly (if that matters to you)

7. Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by ice15 View Post
    This will be my first post here and I really need your help...

I finally got the approval of my wife to get a car there in PHL.

We are based overseas and the car will be basically used during our vacations and my wife's business trips.

Here are basic things that I need

2. Trunk Space... I need at least 3 bags to fit... 2 pcs Check in and 1 pc Carry on luggage.
    5. Reliable... Car will be used by my in laws when we're not there, I don't want to hear car problems while I'm in another country.
    6. Fuel efficiency... min of 8kms/liter (its the mileage I got when I owned a 1993 Corolla).
    8. Friendly customer service... As I said, car will be mostly used by in laws and I will be asking them to take care of the car's PMS.

Options...

Nissan Sentra 1.3 GX (AT) - our first choice... Since its cheap! We know 2 people who used to own one and we did not hear any significant complains about the car... Only issue I have against it is its age...

Hyundai Accent 1.4 GL - I have seen 2 issues against this car, the knocking engine and the soft suspension...

Ford Fiesta Trend 1.4 (5-Door, AT) - Not sure if it has the trunk space I need, but (IMO) best looking car in my choices

Ford Fiesta Trend 1.4 (4-Door, AT) - Looks good... Planning to see an actual unit on my next vacation.

2014 Vios - this will be a hard sell to my wife since it will definitely be used by Taxi companies. Its also the most expensive (2013 model is around 750k already and will have a difficult time not to consider the City at 780k)
    Vios, for your 8 basic needs you needed. The 1.3 has excellent FC even it's an AT.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    TOYOTA AVANZA 1.3L E A/T P743k

Downside is that it is a boring car to drive but it gets the job done with no fuss.

P743K

More cargo space than any other car within your budget limit.

Avanza's high roof line should be address the height issue. It seats four to five in relative comfort.

available in M/T and A/T

5. Reliable... Car will be used by my in laws when we're not there, I don't want to hear car problems while I'm in another country
    It is a Toyota and sometimes used as a taxi by some cab companies. So it is quite reliable.

1.3L engine should give good economy as long as you are not in a hurry to reach your destination.

I think "Toyota" brand should suffice for these two questions. Just choose the right casa to service your car properly (hint: avoid Toyota Quezon Ave).
    Last edited by ghosthunter; July 2nd, 2013 at 06:13 PM.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2011
    I suggest you get the 2014 Vios. This is the best looking Vios yet to date.

10. Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Sorry, but Avanza is out... I personally prefer a car

Will definitely look at the Vios when I'm there around end of the year...

I'm narrowing my choices between the following:

Sentra - because its cheap!
    Vios - got the most votes... so far
    Fiesta - looks good
    City (depending on the price of the Fiesta and dealer discounts)

Sadly, looks like taking a Hyundai/Kia is too risky right now.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast