New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Please help me pick my 2nd car. I'm starting on my new job next month, and it will be a graveyard shift. We only have one car as of now, our trusty Hilander and I plan to leave it at home for my wife and kids if the need arises or in case of emergencies and I'm at work. I'll be using the 2nd car so I can get home easily, since I'll be getting off from work 5am from Makati.
    Budget is preferably below 100k, and I've trimmed down my choices to these. I took out the Corolla from my list because of its still relatively high price. In terms of reliability, fuel efficiency, value for money, which would you pick?

1. Mazda 323(Gen.1)
    2. Kia Pride hatch
    3. Nissan Sentra JX/EX/ECCS

Thanks in advance! You might want to suggest others I might have overlooked

2. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    I'd pick the Sentra ECCS. Looks more decent than the other two.

Fuel efficiency is the 323's weakest point. The Sentra falls at the middle coz obviously the Kia Pride wins this segment ( small car. small engine etc. )

Reliability, Sentra. Mazda. Pride.

Though the Pride is used as a taxi, that thing is damn OLD & damn UGLY & damn SMALL. & from the looks of it ? its something you cannot trust everyday ( assuming that the pride you will be getting is not the 02-03 model which can be a little trust worthy since it's fresher than the other two ) however, everything boils down on the TLC that the previous owner gave.

I'm just speaking of the similar units I've been seeing on the roads lately.

3. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    *TS, sa ayosdito puwede mo na agad ilagay sa parameters yung 100K budget mo para mabilis maghanap.
    Fasten your seatbelt! Or else... Driven To Thrill!

4. Join Date
    Oct 2007
    sentra ako dito, pero if i were you dagdag ako konti para 89 corolla xl nalang.

5. Join Date
    May 2011
    I'd save a little more money for a corolla big body.

But among your 3 choices I'd get the sentra. My friend had a mazda 323 that gave him a lot of problems. Plus I don't see much on the road compared to other sedans during its time. Out of the question ang kia because it's fugly.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Thanks for the inputs, looks like the Sentra has the upper hand on this one. The Corolla is really a safe "default" choice, however given the budget I'm restricted to these options so I can still have some left for future repairs

7. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by tim4h92 View Post
    Thanks for the inputs, looks like the Sentra has the upper hand on this one. The Corolla is really a safe "default" choice, however given the budget I'm restricted to these options so I can still have some left for future repairs
    yes you should have a budget for repairs for 2nd hand cars.
    Fasten your seatbelt! Or else... Driven To Thrill!

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Ry_Tower View Post
    yes you should have a budget for repairs for 2nd hand cars.
    Amen to that. a lot of people overlook that aspect.

My vote is for the sentra also. Weve had one B13 1.4JX since 1993 and its still running strong and easy to maintain. We never sold it and just use it as an extra car, pang coding, when we go to "Alangan" areas, pang student driver, pang palengke, etc. Its also one of the best balanced cars in its class when you talk of handling.

9. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    OK nga ang B13 Sentra. It is reputed to be the last Sentra with independent suspension fore and aft and so has very good handling. The ECCS engine combined with a very light body makes it a pocket rocket and also a very fuel efficient vehicle. But if you plan to fit your whole family inside every now and then, I'd suggest you look for a slightly bigger vehicle with a budget of slightly above 100k. I suggest you look at the 1993 Lancer GLXi and here are some ads for you to consider.

http://www.sulit.com.ph/index.php/vi...hi+Lancer+GLXi

10. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by vinj View Post
    Amen to that. a lot of people overlook that aspect.

My vote is for the sentra also. Weve had one B13 1.4JX since 1993 and its still running strong and easy to maintain. We never sold it and just use it as an extra car, pang coding, when we go to "Alangan" areas, pang student driver, pang palengke, etc. Its also one of the best balanced cars in its class when you talk of handling.

I'm targetting the EX or JX versions as well more than the ECCS for simpler maintenance

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Please help me pick my 2nd car