New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    i havent driven an Xtrail yet, pero sa RAV4 medyo matigas ang steering ang suspension...
    which i like, so preferrence lang din talaga...

kung max ay 4 passenger ok na ok na ang rav4

hindi ko lang alam kung underpower ang 4x2 na 1.8 ang makina...

malambot steering ng X-trail. Suspension is pretty good. Medyo madali lang magasgas ang plastics sa loob

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    700k can get you a good 2002 / 2003 gen2 CR-V... these things are very durable and you should easily find a fresh unit. from experience, the gen2 body shell is very sturdy, practically zero rattles and creaks even after years of daily use. yung RAV4 ni mazdamazda may kalampag ata nung sumakay ako hehe :D CR-V fuel economy is in the 6.0 to 6.5 km/l range for exclusively city driving. i'd expect the RAV4 and X-Trail to post similar city economy figures.

medyo mahirap nga lang i-repair yung unpainted bumpers kung magasgas... easier to have it repainted body color. yung gagawin lang kasi diyan kung hindi palitan yung buong part ay pipinturahan ng flat gray-black yung affected part, so baka hindi mag-match sa ibang unpainted parts (depends on the skill of the painter I guess)

4. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    I'm turned off with the X-Trail's dashboard. It's obvious that the panels are made to easily cater to LHD and RHD units. Let's say there comes a Subic X-Trail. You can easily interchange the panels, like in the Gen 2 Pajero. But the real problem lies in the design itself.

Other than that, the X-Trail seems to have received better acclaim than expected. I see more of these than RAV 4, for a reason I don't know. Better space? Also good-looking outside? I'm not really sure.

Personally though, I'd still choose the RAV 4 because I like its overall design better. It's also more fun to drive since it has near-carlike handling and pretty nice driving position for a high-rider. This is also more suited for bachelors, while the X-Trail is fit for small young families.

5. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Thanks guys for your inputs. My wife and i went to Hyundai EDSA to make a deposit for the Tuscon CRDI but unfortunately or fortunately my agent was out on the field. So we decided to check out Autocamp and saw some Ravs and xtrails.
    We liked the Xtrail's exterior look but were turned off by the dashboard scratches on an 04 4x2 ,9t km unit; plus the price was quite steep- 850k net. We then checked out a blue 02 Rav with 4o t kms for P 750 k net. Wife luved the car in and out except for the color. So we went to Wheels to Go at robinson's mall Pioneer st cor EDSA... where we found a white 01 Pristine looking Rav 4 4x4, with 47t km , complete service records. Wife wouldn't like to leave without making a downpayment... Asking was 730 k but got it at 670t, quite high for an 01 but well taken cared of naman. The funny thing was right before closing the deal, an executive lady , around 30 y/o arrived and was asking if the dealer can give it for 7ook. hehehehe.... got her numberna rin just in case i change my mind and decide to sell it ....

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by mbt
    yung RAV4 ni mazdamazda may kalampag ata nung sumakay ako hehe :D
    oist... wala pa naman nun. ngayon na lang.

in fairness, rav4 owners are reporting that the suspension is noisy (feels like it is crashing) & feels loose on rough roads.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2004
    choosing a 4x4 rav4 will really cost you a lot when it comes to fuel... halos parang CRV din siya kumain ng gasoline, same case din sa x-trail...

yung gamit kong RAV4 na 4x2 M/T, sa experience ko matipid siya, im not sure everybody will agree with me... before when i was still using shell velocity, average consumption ko around 9 - 10 km/li... if combined highway and city driving, mga 12 km/li, kung majority ay highway driving, kaya sa 14.5 km/li... (believe it or not, i used to travel to isabela <--> manila roundtrip with just one full tank of gasoline na may excess pa siyempre)

for a body so small, sufficient na ang output power niya, also imagine ang 1.8 li and 2.0 li, few horsepower and torque lang ang difference... never ko naramdaman na underpower yung 1.8li... problem ko lang is magaan masyado yung body, kaya skidding often happens

pagdating sa comfortable ride, i think mas may edge ang x-trail compared to rav4

8. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Am also getting a white 05 4 x 4 xtrail next week, 12 t km, trade-in with my other car. i guess i'll be able to compare the rav and x trail first hand, hehehe...

9. Join Date
    Apr 2005
    id go for a rav4. welll, mas maganda nga ride ng xtrail but pag may stuff or passengers ka na riding at the back, ayun bagsak na yung likod.

10. Join Date
    May 2005
    We constantly get 9km/L on city driving on a 4x2 genII RAV4. But when it's all-out frugal driving, it could achieve 10km/L in the city. In highways, my highest mileage is at 15km/L.

Stiff ang suspension ng RAV4, but the steering is pointy and accurate. Fun, but not-so-comfortable.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Planning to buy 2nd gen Rav vs X trail... your pros and cons please.