New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Apr 2004
    i've been seriously contemplating on restoring 1 of 3 boyhood dream cars of mine. i wonder, which of these would be easier to return to top form at minimum cost (i realize that all restorations are expensive, though)?

these babies are cars i can get cheap unrestored here in the phils... and something i can resto-mod (maybe even put in an auto tranny along with a better engine in). they're also midsized cars of their day... i'd want something with a bit more space inside... i will use it as a "coding car" lang naman, kesa bumili ng subcompact worth 400K i'd rather fulfill a childhood fantasy na lang (me rollin in style in one of these cars).

practical or no? i don't mind your typical repairs and i can probably find a mechanic who can swap engines and trannies for these. pero kung estimate nyo aabutin ng 500K++, forget it, hehehehe.

what are your dream restorations? some other ideas will be appreciated... criteria are:

1. must be 70s or 80s RWD midsize vehicles
    2. must be freely available sa PI...

yun lang. here are mine:

the w123 benz

the galant sigma

the toyota crown "kojira" (whale)
    Last edited by voltscastillo; January 2nd, 2011 at 09:56 AM.

2. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Benz 123, madami parts. I've already restored mine, it cost me around 250k for restoration.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    It is not practical but it is a very good idea. Throw practicality out the window!

I'd do the Benz. Unfortunately I'd also like to do the Galant Sigma and Toyota Crown.

Good luck on your project. Kakaingit sarap gayahin (in my case I'd like tor restore an even older car, a Chevy or Dodge.....kaso wala budget!)

4. Join Date
    Mar 2010

datsun 280z or the 1972 skyline gt-r

5. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    ^ That's er. out of his choices ... and i'd seriously doubt that he'll have a hard time finding one .. but not impossible.

Anyways, going back

Between the three, I'd pick the Benz. Easier to restore and the body is goddamn strong. Was once bumped by one, my fender broke and the benz didn't even have any scratches whatsoever. I'm having doubts though about the current engine since I've read it sucked when filled with ethanol blended gas. And finding a more modern engine can be quite costly and hard.

I like the crown, too. But I guess ... even in restored form, it will still look old rather than a classic unlike the benz.

Sorry but I don't feel like owning a Galant.

If your choices are still open for other alternatives, I'd suggest looking at the Toyota Corolla KE70. Looks bad-ass and the kinds of engine that can be swapped are plenty. It's easy to maintain too. However, if you're stuck between the three I guess it's already pretty obvious what my choice is.

Goodluck. :thumbup:

6. Join Date
    Apr 2004
    good call on the e70 corolla sir renzo. i've seen a white one, fully restored running around kamuning couple years ago, maganda nga.

i'd like the 280z, pero medyo mahirap humanap nun. i'm 34 now, and all my life i've seen only about 2 of those babies, yung isa sa transhow pa nung mid 90s (naka british racing green pa) and an unrestored beat to **** one dala pa ng aplikante pa sa opisina namin years ago (never saw that guy again though hindi yata na-hire).

ronw123... boss if you must know, i've been a long time lurker sa mbclub, hehe. there's a number of completed rebuilds there i read up on time to time, and sir patrick's mbeige is on wallpaper duty cycle sa PC ko hehe (sorry if i'm breaking copyrights here ha).

some other cars i'd like to buy cheap and then restore:

not a fan of old SUVs in general (after a rather bad experience with a dubai pajero), but i can drive this baby unrestored, all day, for that "gentleman farmer" look...

almost bought something like this 4 years ago from an uncle... nung lumabas yung salary loan ko nabenta na... binibigay sakin running condition very minor rust... ride is comparable to a 90s sentra but the legroom is both wider and longer than a sentra:

meron pa ba NOS parts mga ito? how about replacements? mahirap nyan restore ka ng restore tapos pagdating sa shocks... wala pala pwede from the market, hekhekhek

7. Join Date
    May 2006
    Mitsubishi Celeste, 74-76 Colt Galant (Wagon kung meron), L or I type lancer, Galant Lambda(Tas Salpakan mo ng orig na vega)Toyota Starlet, Toyota DX (wagon), Toyota Cressida, Toyota Corona Macho or Toyota Crown and bling it

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Benz 123 for me. Although the Crown is very nice when its restored, it wont hold as much value as the Benz.

9. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    from the choices, ill go for the benz 123. next would be the galant sigma.

kung wala sa choice, box type lancer would be my personal choice. when i was a kid, every time i see one, i always see the design with admiration.

10. Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Mercedes Benz 190E

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
pick 1 childhood dream car to restore...