New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    hi guys,

just need your help, I'm currently contemplating on buying either a 2nd hand pajero or 2nd hand montero, both gas models. Both are also imported versions, orig LHD's. Which would be better in terms of maintenance, fuel efficiency, reliablity, parts, etc.. the pajero is a 93 imported version(intercooler body minus the flarings) w/ a manual 2.6L 4 cyl 4G54 carb engine, while the MOntero is US version 97 model, 3.0 V6 engine, A/T.

Thanks in advance

2. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Parang ang hirap naman pumili dyan... parehong malakas sa gas yan... tapos di pa available dito sa pinas yan.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I've had the chance to drive both. The 4G54 is a dog. You have to rev it hard to get any useable power which also kills fuel consumption. It has about the same FC as the V6 so I don't think its worth the penalty in power and smoothness. Most 4g54 units are also up to GLX trim level only. Meaning manual side mirrors, no cloth on door trim, simpler interior, manual antenna, etc. On my friend's GLX, the seats were mostly upholstered in vinyl and the rear seatbelts were all of the lap-type variety. Which will drive you absolutely nuts when you want to install a child seat and is not very comfortable for adult passengers.

Regarding the V6. Is it really from the U.S.? My brother's unit is from China but it was rebadged into a Monty when it arrived. What engine does the unit have? U.S. Montys can be had with a 3.0 SOHC, 3.0 DOHC, and 3.5 SOHC engine. These engines are basically enlarged Galant engines so most Galant consumables will work on it. The DOHC is a PITA to work on. My classmate has that one. The easiest to live with would be the 3.0 SOHC. Not as powerful as the other two (around 155bhp vs 177 and 215) but plenty enough for local road conditions. U.S. Montys also came in different trim levels including LS and SR. The SR is the top of the line version with leather, wood, moonroof, etc. Some units even came with a locking rear differential (R/D LOCK switch beside power outlet on dashboard).

China Montys are pretty easy to spot. They have huge side stripes, rear leaf springs, and rear drum brakes. The owner's manual is in Chinese, too. We had to buy a Montero owner's manual from Canada.

On paper, the U.S. unit is vastly superior. But you will also have to take into account the actual condition of the vehicles as the units are previously owned already.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

4. Join Date
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by tim4h92 View Post
    hi guys,

just need your help, I'm currently contemplating on buying either a 2nd hand pajero or 2nd hand montero, both gas models. Both are also imported versions, orig LHD's. Which would be better in terms of maintenance, fuel efficiency, reliablity, parts, etc.. the pajero is a 93 imported version(intercooler body minus the flarings) w/ a manual 2.6L 4 cyl 4G54 carb engine, while the MOntero is US version 97 model, 3.0 V6 engine, A/T.

Thanks in advance

Get a Montero. For me Montero is better than Pajero. I also own a Pajero that's why i know. Tama si otep 4g54 is gas guzzler tapos mabagal.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Thanks guys, how about the 93-94 patrol safaris and 94 pajero's?

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by tim4h92 View Post
    Thanks guys, how about the 93-94 patrol safaris and 94 pajero's?
    This is a bit off-topic. You can use the search function to search for Nissan Patrol threads.

AFAIK, a Nissan Patrol of that vintage is already a GQ (Safari) model. The one before (the long one) was called the MQ. The current Patrol is the GU. GQ's are powered by a 4.2l diesel. Makes 115bhp. The GQ is robust, rough and tough. It is built to withstand abuse. However, there are some compromises like ride and handling which are worse than the Pajero's. The interior is also cramped especially considering how big the body is. Your knees almost touch the front seatbacks when seated at the 2nd row. Dual a/c was also not standard at the time and the single a/c will be hard pressed to cool the cabin.

The interior wears down easily since it's mostly made of pressed vinyl. The door pulls warp, the sidings sag, the ceiling magically gets dirty from the INSIDE (because the inner moisture barrier breaks down over time). Don't count on much refinement. Rear seatbelts are of the lap-type variety, a/c vents can't be closed individually, there are no cupholders (one was added in '97).

But if you really like it, then it's probably worth restoring one. The GQ was actually my first choice when I was looking for a rig. However, I could not find one in decent shape at the time.

A '94 Pajero is still the boxtype in the local market.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    sorry for the OT sir, I suddenly remembered one 93 safari being offered to me

About the 94 Pajeros, are these also good rides despite the age? thanks again

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    A '94 is a GEN I. We had one of those. They're bulletproof. The turbo version makes 84bhp which isn't much but it gets the job done and at least its not the 72bhp non-turbo engine which our unit had.

Everything is simple so don't count on much refinement. But the interior holds up well despite the age. Watch our for rust around the fenders.

My biggest qualm was the unavailability of rear a/c. Although presently you can get one custom-installed. However, the refinement level of the GEN II makes the GEN I feel pre-historic. I'd spring for a GEN II if it's within your budget.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    thanks, actually if budget only permits, I would've gone for a GEN II, w/out batting an eyelash As it is, the most I could go for are either the 92/93 imported models w/ a GenII body, since these are currently below 400k, OR the more affordable GEN I's

10. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    I've had both. The 1993 GLX from 1997-2003 and the 1997 GLS from 2003-2006!

1993 Pajero GLX 4G54 manual and a 1997 Montero GLS 6G72 automatic. Both ex embassy vehicles. Both workhorses, both gas guzzlers. Both suited my purpose as I travelled to Batangas weekly for about 3 years.

The Montero being the newer one of course had better amenities, the Pajero was typically a no-frills ride. Both are still with their respective new owners. These vehicles are built like tanks and are fairly easy to maintain.

Fuel consumption, of course was the biggest problem.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
pajero or montero