New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Hi all,

I used to be somewhat active here 5 years ago until I left to work overseas. Now that I am back, I need to select a vehicle to serve as my daily driver from Katipunan to Makati.

I initially wanted to get a Legacy but reconsidered due to its high FC, high cost of fuel, and wifey's request for a less "spirited" vehicle. My priorities are decent (at least 7km/l) FC, immediate availability, comfortable/nice interior (for the 3hours I spend driving everyday), and enough room for 3 adults and 2 children under 6 years. Currently considering the following:

1. Sonata Premium
    2. Montero GLS-V 4x2 AT
    3. ASX GLS-SE

The Camry, Accord, Fortuner, Sta. Fe, RAV4 and CRV are out of the running as these are dated. Fast rides are also out of the running unless they are not obviously so (The Forester 2.5XT is out since that was my previous car). The Kia Optima 2.0T would have been nice but the only one left in the country was sold last weekend. I want to keep the cost under 1.5M as much as possible so I can pocket the rest of my unused car allowance.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

2. Join Date
    Mar 2010
    I'd go with the sonata premium.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    If you are choosing the Mitsubishi ASX, I would suggest the ASX GLS instead of the GLS-SE. The GLX-SE has a AWD system which might sound good but it is heavy and will reflect in your fuel mileage. The GLS has a 2WD system which makes it lighter and just as good to drive on the road. Given that you will just be driving this in the city and never actually offroad, you will not miss having a AWD system on the ASX. Choosing the GLS will save you over P200,000 in the purchase price as compared to the GLS-SE.

Driving the ASX is smooth and effortless with it's 2.0L engine and CVT automatic transmission. Interior space is good for five adults with lots of head and leg room, front and back. Cargo space is a little smaller if compared to the Honda CRV but it is more than adequate for most needs.

With the saved P200,000+, you will have some shopping money for a set of nice aftermarket wheels to replace the stock 17s.

4. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    How about adding the following cars to your shortlist:

Sonata Non-Premium
    Civic EX
    Toyota Altis 1.6V
    ASX GLS
    Tucson GLS

Those will be good for 3 adults and 2 kids and will be waaaaaaaaay lighter on the pocket.

5. Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Sonata if you want real comfort.

the remington red premiums were available at a discount a few weeks ago. baka pwede pa.

6. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ca89056 View Post
    Hi all,

My priorities are decent (at least 7km/l) FC, immediate availability, comfortable/nice interior (for the 3hours I spend driving everyday), and enough room for 3 adults and 2 children under 6 years. Currently considering the following:

1. Sonata Premium
    2. Montero GLS-V 4x2 AT
    3. ASX GLS-SE

Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

For me, ASX bro. Tested ko na for 10months.

FC, average ako ng 10Kpl. (mixed city & h-way)
    Capacity, may instances na 4-adults at 2-kids pa kami.

Decent din siya in many aspects lalo na sa safety, interior, design, handling...

7. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Montero, Diesel kasi so sa FC lamang ka na and being the biggest of the 3, you'll have the extra capacity when the need arises.

8. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Thanks for the inputs guys.

Couldn't pass up a good deal I got on a red Sonata Premium (six-digit discount from the current 1.608M SRP). The FC is lower than what I want it to be but i figured I could set aside the money i saved to make up for it. The Montero will have to wait till wifey is ready to buy her own car.

Hope to get it by Saturday as it's a pain in the ass to arrange for transportation from Makati to QC everyday. Can't wait lol

9. Join Date
    Jun 2010
    nice, congrats bro! which dealer did you get it from?

10. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Thanks got it from a dealer up north

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Options for a brand new Vehicle under P1.5M