New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Hi Guys,

Need your opinions on this. We have a property in a hills area here in Cebu and the only way to go up the steep and narrow roads is through a 4x4. Our Altis and Jazz can't do it and if it does they will probably really really have a hard time (might be dangerous too). So the main question is: Whats an affordable 4x4 brand new or is it better to get a 2nd hand one? How much should we expect to budget for this? We're thinking of selling the Altis to have capital in getting the 4x4. Requirements for the Car is that it cant be not too big since it will be used mostly in the City with occasional trips to the Hill Lot. Fuel Efficient though I've heard 4x4s tend to be more thirsty. What candidates we've thought of are: Subaru XV, 2nd hand CR-V or RAV4 or Forrester. Our budget is max limit 1.4M but we'd really like something below 1M or 1M to be more feasible. So whats your take guys?

2. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    How steep and narrow? Care to post a pic?

Its very hard to find a proper brand new 4x4 with just 1.4M. At the moment I can only think of one.

Suzuki Jimny. 748k for the manual and the 845k for the matic. Cheapest brand new 4x4 you can find. Bloody fair deal? 1.3L engine is neither exceptionally fast nor fuel efficient, but it gets the job done. Puts to shame 4x4s twice or thrice its price when it comes to off-roading.

But then if you're getting 2nd hand, the possibilities are boundless!

If you want a 4x4 CUV, there are only few that can actually go off road. Consider the Suzuki Grand Vitara (2.0M/T is rare, but the rest are horribly thristy!) Suzuki Grand Vitara 06 4x4 Black Philippines - 11788241, Ford Escape 2.3XLT, or Nissan X-Trail 200X.

For a 4x4 pickup-based SUV, all of them are within reach. The Fortuner and Montero Sport would probably be the best choices due to their smaller size.

And then for a true midsize SUV, the CK Pajero is also within reach!

3. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    If you're getting a 4x4, no use in getting a brand new with such a budget. Very limited choices IMO.

Don't like pick-ups? Like... pickups who surely has the ability to climb, descend and what not but still maintain the car-like ride feeling? The Strada & Navara comes to mind here. 2nd hand of course, they're fairly new anyway so it shouldn't be a problem.

Ditch the 2nd gen CRV idea and get the 1st gen instead if you're going the CUV route. It's easier on gas, has a decent ride and has quite a number of parts outside too.

But if you're leaning towards something newer, like 03 up.. then you're left with the ladder frame SUVs which, i think, would really fit the bill. Fortuner 3.0 4x4 comes to mind, then the Montero 4x4. But then between the two, yeah, they're new but I think you're better off settling with the Pajero FM instead. Trusted and proven throughout the years. Just.. get the local ones. No problems with imports but then, you have to really be picky if you're settling for converted units

4. Join Date
    Jan 2012
    If you want a brandnew car, I would recommend a subaru forester (base model)
    1.4M and symmetrical awd is superior to whatever honda or kia make
    Subaru Symmetrical AWD vs. Honda, Toyota, and Volkswagen - YouTube

You can get a previous gen forester for under 1M easily
    Or a used strada 4x4 manual is also under a million
    So is a used ranger

Or you can get a brandnew 4x4 ranger for under 1.2M (actually I'd rather get this) (Im not aware if you said it had to be an suv
    Ford Ranger Offroad video - YouTube

5. Join Date
    May 2006
    XV or Forester fits your bill.

6. Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Thanks for the input guys! Yah, mej ipit kami sa budget =S I'll try and post pix of the roads but its really a dirt road. gets muddy when it rains and only 1 car can pass at a given time. Oh yah , forgot to mention that we can't get a pick up since our garage is quite small. our Altis and Jazz have just couple of feet space to spare so getting a Pickup wouldn't fit in the garage.

So based on your opinions, best to get a 2nd Hand? So CR-Vs and RAV4s wont be a good idea? How much would a Forester and a Fortuner 2nd hand be around 4x4 ofcourse? How bout Tucson and Sportage ? are they capable of climbing?

7. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    If it really needs to be 4x4, nothing in the price range is as capable as the Jimny. But then, the Jimny is overkill for a road that regular Jeepneys can pass.

A 4x4 pick-up would suit you much better, if you could get around the garage space issue.

For regular dirt roads, even 4x2 crossovers will do, but the suspension will suffer from the abuse. Something truck based, like an AUV (Crosswind... ) or a 4x2 Montero would do nicely.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

8. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    If it's steep. Torque is what you need. If it's real off-roading, real time 4wd/torque transfer 4wd may not be as useful. Get full-time 4wd ones. Get circa 2009 Sorento. The last facelifted models have selectable 4wd with locking diffs (afaik) and a powerful 174ps 392NM 2.5L CRDi VGT and 5 speed AT (earlier Sorento has 145ps non VGT).

It's dimensions are tidy and has a very powerful engine for uphill climbing.

http://www.sulit.com.ph/index.php/vi...Position,1-1,1

There's one available in Mandaue for 650K, I think you might still be able to drag its price to somewhere around 600k. I think you might not even need to sell your Altis for this.
    Last edited by basti08; May 6th, 2013 at 11:47 PM.

9. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Ah, so garage space pala ang problema mo. I'd really like to see what sort of road that is. If its real steep and gets muddy when it rains, then I suppose you really do need 4x4, or at least a high torque 4x2 with all terrain tires and perhaps also an LSD.

The Tucson R e-VGT is 4x4 and fits your budget for brand new. But then it is not the sort of car I'd want to bring off road. Much like the CRV, I find this sort of AWD application more for augmenting on road handling and traction rather than mud plugging on the trails.

+1 on the 1st gen Sorento. Don't know if the version with the Grand Starex engine was available locally but even the one with the GRX engine is good.

10. Join Date
    Feb 2012
    vote ko 2nd hand pick-up or if you want CUV get one of these;

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting,

mga gano ba kaputik saka ka steep un lugar sir?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast