New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    I'm helping a close friend decides on which car to buy. the more exciting and fun to drive. Also in consideration is the new volvo c30 :groupwave::groupwave:

what else can u say about these 2 luxury cars? good points and bad points...

s40 is shorter but he won't be bringing the whole neighborhood to ride it hehe
    both designs are superb but i lean on the s40 style which is sportier for me.

how about the service here in the philippines?

i need ur feedbacks tsikot experts...he'll be coming home this march and he would like to check them as soon as he lands naia!

Thanks!!

2. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Don't go for the C30, it looks like a focus/opel tigra combined. Test drove one, didn't feel anything fantastic. Parang "ok lang!"

BMW 3 vs. Volvo S40?

What version?

BMW has it's executive series as top line vs. Volvo's S40 T5 series.

In all aspects mas mabigat pa rin yung BMW 3 kaysa sa Volvo.
    Safety, volvo pa rin.
    Looks, pareho naman maganda.
    Maintenance, both hard to maintain since Euro cars ang mga ito.
    Pricing.... mas mahal yung BMW.
    Which best to buy for both? If you're opting for the Volvo, get either the T5, T5 AWD or S40 D5(diesel ito)180hp, 350nm torque.
    BMW naman the coupe version or the ordinary ones pero executive 320D(diesel) or 325i(gas)

3. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Exciting and fun to drive? Bayersch Motoren Werke. (period)

4. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SaberRider View Post
    Don't go for the C30, it looks like a focus/opel tigra combined. Test drove one, didn't feel anything fantastic. Parang "ok lang!"

BMW 3 vs. Volvo S40?

What version?

BMW has it's executive series as top line vs. Volvo's S40 T5 series.

In all aspects mas mabigat pa rin yung BMW 3 kaysa sa Volvo.
    Safety, volvo pa rin.
    Looks, pareho naman maganda.
    Maintenance, both hard to maintain since Euro cars ang mga ito.
    Pricing.... mas mahal yung BMW.
    Which best to buy for both? If you're opting for the Volvo, get either the T5, T5 AWD or S40 D5(diesel ito)180hp, 350nm torque.
    BMW naman the coupe version or the ordinary ones pero executive 320D(diesel) or 325i(gas)
    i visited www.volvo.ph but only gas version is avail. i dont see any diesel. and as far as variant is available, s40 engine is available from 1.6-2.4i, of cors t5 is the more upscale and they have RDesign style.
    i lyk s40 d5 considering its hp at un nga diesel pa.

he's thinking of the 318i or 320...s40 2.4 and 2.0 at d5 kung meron.

5. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    The BMW would definitely be more fun to drive, it's a rear-wheel drive vehicle so the steering is not burdened by having to transmit power to the road.

The BMW is more expensive. It also sacrifices some space because, being a rear-wheel drive, the engine is mounted front-to-rear instead of transversely, and it has a transmission tunnel and prop shaft. So all things being equal, the Volvo would be more fuel-efficient.

Although at the 2M-plus price range, I don't think buyers would care.

Just me -- "the essence of the BMW is the inline-6 engine and rear wheel drive." That means the 325, which costs 3.5M pesos

For the same price as a 316, you can get the 2.4L Volvo with the 5-cylinder engine. So I'd go with the Volvo unless I had the budget for the 325.

6. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    But the 325 is too close to the 5-series that it's a wiser step to go for 5-series instead (esp the Diesel models). hehe.

check out Audi and Volvo C70 too (esp the diesel models).

volvo has 14% discount til Feb 14.

If you want an Audi, I can help you with PGA.

7. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsepower View Post
    But the 325 is too close to the 5-series that it's a wiser step to go for 5-series instead (esp the Diesel models). hehe.

check out Audi and Volvo C70 too (esp the diesel models).

volvo has 14% discount til Feb 14.

If you want an Audi, I can help you with PGA.
    he's kinda hesitant w/ audi since he doesn't know if there would be services available and parts might be more expensive since limited ang sources. i don't know if that can be said to volvo too, tho, i could see a good number of volvo owners on the road. as for the bimmer, need i say more? but he wants an option.

so he narrowed down his choices to just volvo s40 and bmw 3 series. both would earned him millons of pogi points....

i wonder why volvo is giving 14% discount??? valentine season offering? wow!! that's closed to 250k-280k savings..... but........he'll be home on the mar 15 pa.... bka may early summer offering din sila hehe

8. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    The Volvos are fine cars. If there are diesel versions on sale, get your friend to try them out.They're not the best driver's cars, mind you (though the C30 is their best effort yet), but ownership should be relatively painless.

9. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    I'd pick the 3 series, Volvos are safe but relatively boring cars.

Which one is better...Volvo S40 or BMW 3 series?