New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    So far, I've only seen one case of hydrolock with a CAI (personally)... but the guy was using that cheap intercooler-lookalike CAI.

But I've heard of cases wherein cone-filter CAIs have caused hydrolock. Safe to say, come the rainy season, it pays to invest in a bypass valve for your CAI-equipped filter.

I'm talking to Speedlab, as they've got a CAI for my vehicle... but I want them to do a custom in-bay heat-shield instead.

It's only AEM that makes that by-pass valve right? It's a good thing to have.

Nicky, can you update me on approximately how much the in-engine filter and shield set-up will set you back? ;)

I also didnt like the Focus sedan looks either but if you add the 19" SVT rims it's a different story. =)

What i really like about the 3 is the driving feel... felt even better than the Civic 1.8 when i test drove them before.

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Okay. I'm going by Speedlab tomorrow, likely. I need to know how long fabrication will take, because I use the car as a daily.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Was considering going to Speedlab to have my Gen 5 Camry fitted with either a short ram or CAI, whichever fit. Since I didn't have any time, I (temporarily?) ditched that for a drop-in K&N. Perhaps you could ask if they could do a short ram or CAI for a 2.0L Gen 5 Camry, niky?

orly_andico,
    that CAI would do wonders for the throttle response on your 1.6L 3. if you go through some flooded streets tho, I would reconsider that option. and P45K for bilsteins? dang! i remember monroe or kyb shocks to have been 2.5K ea a few years back. ride is oem-ish, but then they cost even less than H&R lowering springs.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Imm,

yeah the CAI is interesting. but i'm not out to void our warranty.

the price for the bilsteins seems to be par for the course: a pair goes for $400+ on ebay. so if you convert that to pesos and factor in shipping/customs, Speedlab's price is already very reasonable.

I've already replaced all the shocks on the 626 once (about 3 years ago). All four, Tokico gas, cost about 12K in total. The shocks didn't last (had them "refurbished" by Cruven last year, and they're soft again..) and I realized that my springs must be bad. I mean shocks should last longer than 20,000 km right?

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by orly_andico View Post
    Imm,

yeah the CAI is interesting. but i'm not out to void our warranty.

the price for the bilsteins seems to be par for the course: a pair goes for $400+ on ebay. so if you convert that to pesos and factor in shipping/customs, Speedlab's price is already very reasonable.

I've already replaced all the shocks on the 626 once (about 3 years ago). All four, Tokico gas, cost about 12K in total. The shocks didn't last (had them "refurbished" by Cruven last year, and they're soft again..) and I realized that my springs must be bad. I mean shocks should last longer than 20,000 km right?
    Well, yeah, they're par for the course, but P45K is still a handsome sum for a daily driver. Then again, that's probably just me speaking ;) I don't what it is with the design of the 626's suspension, but I do recall having the same short duration problem with my 626's replacement shocks. Perhaps the suspension design puts too much stress on just the shocks? (if this is possible?)

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Thank Niky! Pa-timbre... =)

The shocks should last much longer than 20,000kms. Have you tried KYB? Check also the spring condition...

7. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by IMm29 View Post
    Well, yeah, they're par for the course, but P45K is still a handsome sum for a daily driver. Then again, that's probably just me speaking ;) I don't what it is with the design of the 626's suspension, but I do recall having the same short duration problem with my 626's replacement shocks. Perhaps the suspension design puts too much stress on just the shocks? (if this is possible?)
    It's not even a daily driver anymore.. relegated to coding duties now most of the time. Making the 45K Bilsteins even more impractical.

But some people spend 100K+ on rims.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Old vs New: Mazda 626 vs Mazda3 (long and unscientific)