New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    That's bound to change. The Mazda3 is getting the 150hp version of the 2.0 for the 2007 facelift here.
    Kailan kaya lalabas yan dito sa Phil?

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    double post.
    Last edited by niky; May 16th, 2007 at 01:57 PM.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    :lol: at orly... at least you've got better resale value out of the hatch...

8.34 km/l combined isn't so bad. (particularly if you're getting under 6 from the 626 on your route. It'll go up about 1-2 km/l once past break-in.

Time for some juicy ICE mods? That's what the hatch is for... pimping!

----

RE: Mazda3 Facelift: Mid-2007 in the Philippines, according to motioncars.com. Supposedly with the updated S-VT and VICS-equipped engine, but let's just cross our fingers on that.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    *triple damn post*... stupid internet...
    Last edited by niky; May 16th, 2007 at 02:14 PM.

5. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Namiss ko tuloy ung Hatch 626 namin specially on long trips... Though nasa family pa yung car pero nde na kami ni misis gumagamit. Sira na lahat ng pang ilalim maingay na yung cabin, rubber moulding ng 5th door sira, ++180K Km na ang tinakbo, 1 year nang walang service pero ginagamit pa din pang pasok sa school at ngayon malakas pa din makina... Sana nga bumigay para maipasok sa casa ng gumagamit. hehehe!

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Yeah, had some fun times (7 years worth) with my 626 MT, too. It was nowhere as powerful as the Accords, Galants and Cefiros of its time, (not to mention, not as powerful as the VTi Civics), but it was torquey. It was quite small for its class, but it felt great to have a torquey 2.0L with a body a bit bigger than 1.6L cars of its time. Sold mine to a friend 5 years back. I wonder how he's been treating it over that time.

I really don't think the Mazda 3 1.6L is still a match for the aging 626, what with the sensor problem and insulation and the like. It should have some technological advances, being a newer model, but then overall, it still shouldn't be able to trump the older executive cruiser. Perhaps the 3 with a 2.0L engine would've been a better match. Man, that new 2.3L 6 is sweet. Unfortunately, the market it specifically caters to isn't too high volume. The Daddy-types who can afford it go for the more luxurious/less sporty Camrys and Accords. Who knows what'll happen if Mazda takes the plunge and brings in more interesting rides? I wonder if the tide will change in their favor.

7. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    What other interesting vehicles do they have..

CX-7 definitely
    RX-8
    Mazdaspeed 3 or even the Grand Touring version (hatch with 2.3L NA engine)

unfortunately all of these are on the expensive side. Maybe if they brought in a 1.6L Mazda3 with a MANUAL transmission, that might incite some racer-boy types.

Incidentally I inquired about replacement suspension parts for the 626. 15,000 for H&R springs, and 45,000 (!) for Bilstein shocks.

The springs are OK. But the shocks are 3X the price of OEM's. Of course they are Bilstein and would probably outlive the 626 by a good margin.

I just don't have the budget to blow that kind of money on the aging 626. Oh well. I would've liked to replace all the underbody stuff, have it reupholstered in leather(ette) to get rid of the musty old car smell... the list goes on.
    Last edited by orly_andico; May 17th, 2007 at 06:11 PM.

8. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    ICE mods? That's what the hatch is for... pimping!
    Speedlab's CAI is very tempting!! 12hp improvement at 4500rpm and backed by dyno results! that 12hp would almost make up the power deficit of the 3 compared to the FS. And the price can't be beat. Where else can you get a 14% hp boost for only 11,000 pesos?

But I'm very concerned about warranty. Can't have a 2-week old 3 with a void warranty. Also the location of the CAI is scary.. does that mean they will permanently remove the fender liner? what if it sucks up gunk and dirt from being down low?

(I realized that the K&N filter will block gunk and dirt.. but what about water.. you don't have to immerse the tube in water, splashing through puddles might throw water on the filter, where it might get inducted into the engine)
    Last edited by orly_andico; May 17th, 2007 at 06:19 PM.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I have friends who ran CAI (and are very happy) and so far i havent heard any sad news about hydrolock; in fact those who i know who got hydrolock were all using stock or in-engine tube filters. I guess those with CAI are just more cautious enough to avoid puddles with names.

We were also considering the Mazda3 1.6L before but decided to get a slightly-used 2nd hand Escape instead.

10. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    So far, I've only seen one case of hydrolock with a CAI (personally)... but the guy was using that cheap intercooler-lookalike CAI.

But I've heard of cases wherein cone-filter CAIs have caused hydrolock. Safe to say, come the rainy season, it pays to invest in a bypass valve for your CAI-equipped filter.

I'm talking to Speedlab, as they've got a CAI for my vehicle... but I want them to do a custom in-bay heat-shield instead.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Old vs New: Mazda 626 vs Mazda3 (long and unscientific)