New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    which is better in terms of over all performance,reliability comfort?

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    The super safari uses the same chassis as the nissan patrol safari which made its worldwide debut sometime in 1988. Not saying its a bad car but if you have no use for a solid front axle, the 200 is a better ride and outperforms the super safari in almost all objective measurements.

Comfort still goes to the 200.

Reliability is a toss up. Most late model nissan zd30s no longer have a tendency to blow itself up in normal driving. Early 200 diesel v8s were also having issues with oil consumption. The safari is easier to work on as a lot of service personnel are familiar with the unit and its ancient chassis.

3. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    The Super Safari's competitor is the LC100. And even that is much better than the Safari. The Safari is rather underpowered. What SUV this big uses a 3.0Di engine?! The engine seems to have been lost and wandered into the wrong car. Interior room is also not as abundant as its bulky exterior suggests.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by GTi View Post
    The Super Safari's competitor is the LC100. And even that is much better than the Safari. The Safari is rather underpowered. What SUV this big uses a 3.0Di engine?! The engine seems to have been lost and wandered into the wrong car. Interior room is also not as abundant as its bulky exterior suggests.
    Rather underpowered? Have you owned or driven one extensively enough to qualify that? Or is it because you're gauging this against Korean CRDi SUVs, the newer D4D and Mitsu VGT diesels out in the market today?

I've had both the 2005 and 2006 matic and manual versions in our garage at one time or another and those pretty run much similarly to your average 1.6L and some 2.0L cars (we had the m/t then UMC loaned us an a/t version when were having some warranty repairs done). At high speed, it will run along with the LC80 and LC100 with the 1-HDT engine (both Patrol and LC will top out at around 165-170kph due to their off-road oriented gearings; at least with the m/t versions). If you're also able to do the minor mods that other Patrol owners do, (needle valve, dawes valve/boost control, block the EGR, etc) it improves the power delivery by making the power come in a more linear fashion. This prevents the boost spikes which basically holds back the power of the ZD30, which was especially noticeable under abrupt pedal input conditions.

If it's feels underpowered, perhaps its due to the lower torque levels at rpms below 1500-1800 (before the turbo does its full duties and the engine hit's it's power band) and as mentioned earlier, the turbo boost spikes which rob the engine of its full power. Feedback of some owners is that Nissan seems to have tuned the engine in the latter stages to prevent the boost spikes and for better engine longevity, resulting in a more lethargic feel/less power; but again, after the mods, it's okay. ECU tuning on top of the mods have brought out more power even more.

The Super Safari versus the LC200 is a hard contest as the LC200's real competitor is the new Patrol Royale. Given the TS' criteria of performance, reliability and comfort:
    - The Super Safari will have reliability on it's side (given that Nissan has worked on the engine though the years) but the LC200 isn't far off if you're taking of city/highway use where most LC200s will be found anyway; i've seen reports of LC200s under real hard use in the Middle East undergo overhauls and engine changes per the reports of a mechanic doing fleet work there.
    - For on road performance, the LC200 has the edge but bring both cars off-road, the Super Safari will catch up given it's old-school off-road oriented solid axle suspension and smaller dimensions.
    - Comfort goes to the LC200

If i had the budget and I am buying brand new, definitely i'm getting the LC200 (at least until the Patrol Royale gets a better engine selection).
    Last edited by vinj; April 16th, 2012 at 10:12 AM.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    The zd30 patrol will eat my 80 series for lunch in terms of speed. The 200 series is faster but the patrol isnt really a toad. The Patrol's 160bhp is enough to punch a 160kph hole in the air. =)

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by OTEP View Post
    The zd30 patrol will eat my 80 series for lunch in terms of speed. The 200 series is faster but the patrol isnt really a toad. The Patrol's 160bhp is enough to punch a 160kph hole in the air. =)
    Minsan when i'm on NLEX or SLEX with the 80, yung mga ibang Fortuner and MS, hinahabol talaga at uunahin ako if i pass them at speed (around 120-130kph). Obviously the LC80 or Patrol won't hold much ground against the newer, lighter CRDi SUVs on the highway... unless I-bangga ko sila.

7. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by vinj View Post
    Minsan when i'm on NLEX or SLEX with the 80, yung mga ibang Fortuner and MS, hinahabol talaga at uunahin ako if i pass them at speed (around 120-130kph). Obviously the LC80 or Patrol won't hold much ground against the newer, lighter CRDi SUVs on the highway... unless I-bangga ko sila.
    hindi siguro nila matangap na naunahan siya ng LC80 hehe

8. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by vinj View Post
    Rather underpowered? Have you owned or driven one extensively enough to qualify that? Or is it because you're gauging this against Korean CRDi SUVs, the newer D4D and Mitsu VGT diesels out in the market today?
    Haha~ No. Was a Trooper owner kasi, and I may have a rather different perspective of speed considering that the Trooper is a much lighter, smaller SUV with an engine that makes pretty much the same amount of power. A 3.0L inline 4 really seems to be rather out of place in an SUV this large.

Just curious though, the LC100 and the ZD30 Patrol are pretty much of the same size and weight. How can they be similar in terms of performance when the LC100 uses a much bigger mill that makes more than 40hp more?

But then again, the question is about the ZD30 Patrol and the LC200 which would make the Patrol somewhat ancient and underpowered in comparison.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Vinj, im pretty sure you have first hand experience in using a land cruiser as a battering ram. Im only a witness to the shoddy repair done afterwards. Hehe.

But yes, a trooper is also a rocket vs the patrol.

10. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    i have read about the lc200 dubai issue thing but most likely im on road so i might dont get that kind of problems. anyway maybe my choices isnt that right how about the latest pajero vs super safari? reliability,comfort and performance? and if ever you already have a montero will you still choose the pajero over the super safari?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
nissan super safari vs toyota lc200