New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    My Navara is 2 years old and so far no problems, I use this daily with occasional heavy loads (3-4x week). Perfect vehicle for both play and work. I've test driven the dmax, strada and hilux. Most comfortable to drive for me is the Navara, followed by the hilux. But since I like more power I opted for the Navara. Can't go wrong with the DMAX but I just never saw myself enjoying driving it daily to work with its small cabin and outdated interior design. The Navara is not a looker inside as well but at least it's much much bigger. This is not a nack on the DMAX, this is my personal preference. I enjoy the lower riding Navara over the strada and hilux as well because you experience less body roll and a little more snappy steering. If you are not going off roading it is a better choice IMO.

2. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Musings from a probinysanong tsikoteer.

Hilux is quite a presence but it is not cheap esp. in 4x4 guise. The Ranger is not as popular---the beef against it-- is expensive maintenance and parts are not as readily available from third party suppliers.

The Navarra is one of the bestsellers. It has good looks, nice stance, and the power to match.

The DMAx is more of a traditional pick-up. Yes, it looks bland. And on paper it appears inferior specs-wise. The Srada offers more refinement and comfortable ride.

But since the TS mentions workhorse---from my perspective--practicality is on top of the list (low maintenance, frugal consumption, reliable engine).

Ask around.

Anong pick-up matipid sa consumo ng diesel?

Ano pick-up bihira ino-overhaul dahil hindi kaagad bumigay makina?

Hope you find your answer soon.

3. Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by GTi View Post
    For a workhorse vehicle, I'd suggest the D-Max LT for the best offroading capability, very broad torque plateau and therefore great low and midrange grunt, and also cheaper and more widely available parts.
    Quote Originally Posted by GTi View Post
    Just to clarify, the local D-Max actually has only 146hp *3800rpm and 294 Nm *1400 rpm to 3400 rpm (nakakapagtaka because the Alterra, having the same engine, is advertised as having 315 Nm).

Although the figures may seem paltry as compared to the Navara, you must consider that the Navara's power is mostly concentrated ONLY at the high end of the rpm range (at 4000 rpm ONLY) and is rather WEAK on the low-end which would indicate great highway performance but INFERIOR low end pulling power. And then again, the D-Max is no slouch, even with low performance figures, many owners have breached the 200km/h mark already.

[SIZE=4] SADYANG NAPAKA-TALINO NIYO SIR! [/SIZE]

Sadyang mahina po talaga ang 2.5-litre Navara 4x4 MT sa kargahan at ahunan lalo na po at sub-2000 rpm, "nothing much really happens", wika nga po ng mga puting kasamahan namin....

Isa po ang Navara sa mga gamit namin sa Spain noong ako po ay nagtatrabaho sa isang open-pit at underground mine ---- May mga 3-litre Isuzu DMax iTEQ VGS Turbo din po kami doon (wala pa nito sa Pinas), 3-litre Toyota Hilux D4-D at 2.4-litre Hilux....
    ....Maganda lang pong tignan ang Navara sa sa papel HABANG hindi po ninyo nakikita ang TUNAY na torque curve nito. NGUNIT, sa okasyon na makikita mo na ang torque curve ng Navara, alam mo na kaagad ang kahihinatnan nito sa actual na kargahan at ahunan.... Tignan nalang po ninyo ang torque curve ng Navara habang pataas nang pataas ang engine rpm ang torque curve nito ay parang spaghetting pababa nang pababa....

Sa lahat ng pickup na na-drive namin ang Navara ang hirap sa ahunan magmula sa pinakababa ng underground levels hanggang sa tuktok ng open pit. Kinakain po ito ng mga Isuzu DMax at Toyota Hilux namin doon.... Kaya hindi po ako nag-dalawang isip na bumili pa rin ng isa pang DMax kahit hindi pa po ito ang VGS Turbo na DMax, na since 2007 pa po ay binebenta na sa Europa....

4. Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Sir both trucks of your choice are excellent for hauling. Depends na talaga sa preference mo kung ano mas appealing sa taste mo. During the time i was looking for a truck for myself, nitest drive ko lahat na brand. I suggest itest drive mo rin bawat isa and decide afterwards. Brute only comes with 144ps and 350nm tge same with the 4x2 navaras. Eventhough 4x4 siya pero engine niya is the mid level lang and not the high katulad ng 4x4 talaga. Kung sa tignin mo plain looking yun brute try asking your SA about the dressed up brutes. Yun una parang hindi pleasing sa mata ko with all the graphics pero kug nasa road na like what i saw 2 days ago, maganda pala siya. Type ko rin yun proma ng dmax, hindi ko lang nagustohan is yun ride niya... Too bumpy for me.

Dmax stands is great for 4x4 with shorter dimension ok talaga siya kung gagamitin mo siya for offroad purposes. Navara naman refined version more onroad siya to compare both said vehicles.

For hauling, since navara comes with a wider body masmarami ka malalaman compared sa dmax. Only disadvantage with the brute since this model share the same rear suspension design sa 4x4 max load niya sa rear is only 800kgs unlike sa 4x2 na max load is 1 ton. I dont any figure with regards sa dmax po.

5. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by zap.FREEDOM View Post
    di kaya nakaka-offend ka sa mga Ford ranger owner esp. dun sa may mga wildtrak at trekker? kung sa bagay may point ka sir.GtTi, boring nga daw ang Ranger, parang pang-urban driving lang siya, it's like how the way you drive sedan para ganun lang din sa ford ranger....medyo bihira ang nag-ooffroad unlike strada and nav's. in short it's like a ford focus on atruck body. sedan pero truck...yung tipong ganun.
    No no no! Haha~ Hindi ako nag-ooffend ha! I am just noting that the TS is looking for a bare base model 4x4 workhorse vehicle. And it just so happened that the Ranger does not have such a variant. Their base model is only the 117hp turbo intercooler 4x2 variant and not the one with the 2.5TDCi or 3.0TDCi engine, nor does it come with a 4x4 system.

6. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Wow, ganito pala ang usapan sa pickup truck very passionate and marami pang evidence. LOL! Yes makupad ang Navara sa low revs You feel the power at higher revs. Perfect for my city and highway driving and work I require from it. Napabasa tuloy ako ng forums about pick up trucks! LOL!!!! Very funny.

What are the bad points on my Navara:

1.) Makupad sa low gear. This is not a deterrent for me since I'm not working in the mountains nor plan on ioff roading, i need the truck to haul and haul a lot of things. The Navara does that perfectly. I can get upto 150-160 very quickly though, but what is the point really of driving this fast? To me it's irrelevant. I stopped driving over 140kph when I turned 20 and realized how crazy it is

2.) Mausok. Sometimes meron somethimes wala. Irritating at times but I can live with it.

3.) Interior Color - at least in the Philippines.... I don't like it much.

Will I buy it again knowing what I know now? Absolutely.

To be fair, I did not give the DMAX much of a chance during my test drive. I didn't like the interior layout and design and when I drove it, I felt that it was not for me. Now if you intend to use it off road most of the time, I would not pick the Navara because of it's low ride height, but then there are mods for that and mods for almost anything. What you can't mod is the size of the cabin. Just my 2 cents.

7. Join Date
    Jul 2011
    ^^^
    well said sir

Meron pa isang con ang navara yun rear seat niya, its too straight but for me ok lang kasi i seldom having anyone seating at the the back since i use my truck for biz talaga. So far based on my computation ive loaded my truck with 45 round bottles of purified water. One containers has 20 liter that is equivalent 20 kgs x 45 of those = 900 kgs and my rear suspension just drop an inch. With this i can still run 120kph effortless.

8. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    ^
    120 lang daw o. I think you run much faster than that even when loaded.

Having 4x2 versions of both trucks I'll list up what I don't like about them.

Dmax
    Engine sounds like s**t
    Handling - rolls a lot in the corners
    Leaf pack in the rear is way too stiff even with moderate load
    Sheet metal is thin, specially at the tailgate and bed
    Relatively smaller interior
    Looks

Navara (mid yd25)
    Weaker low end rpm
    FC a bit higher
    Some interior parts scratch easily
    A bit too much brake pedal free play
    No LSD
    Small tires on narrow 6j rims

As a workhorse the 4jj1 is better suited but the thin body sheet metal (specially at the bed) is a real let down. I've had to have it hammered out 3x in 5 years. And in the Dmax work will feel like work, suspension is on the stiff side but the thing just still likes to roll in the corners.

9. Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Titleist983k View Post
    What are the bad points on my Navara:

1.) Makupad sa low gear. This is not a deterrent for me since I'm not working in the mountains nor plan on ioff roading, i need the truck to haul and haul a lot of things. The Navara does that perfectly. I can get upto 150-160 very quickly though, but what is the point really of driving this fast? To me it's irrelevant. I stopped driving over 140kph when I turned 20 and realized how crazy it is....

Sir Titleist,

Yes, matulin sir ang Navara sa rektahan. Sa mga freeways, naipapatakbo namin ng 160 kph at 5th to 6th-gear, pero malaki pa ang maibibigay nito. But like you said, why go fast? So the saying goes:
    "The speed that thrills is the speed that kills."

The Navara engine is comfortable to use as long as you're at its "right" powerband. It's not as versatile though at low rpms, like for example when it's loaded and traversing a steep road where there are lots of hairpins or switchbacks where you have to slow down, it doesn't pickup at an instant while at sub-2000 rpm. But, other than that, especially when it's already singing at its right powerband vis-a-vis it gained its momentum, it is a churner.

This is actually the glaring advantage of the 3.0-litre diesels, even those with only standard turbochargers like the Philippine-DMax, and moreso like the VGT-equipped 3.0-litre Hilux D4-D, over the VGT-equipped 2.5-litre diesels. The 2.5-litre diesels that you see around gained their peak horsepower numbers ONLY BECAUSE of
    "more boosting", or "higher pressure boost" and NOT because of displacement. In all honesty, the moment your turbocharger got even just a pin-size hole, the 2.5-litre diesel would go back to its normal 100-hp to 120-hp capacity.... This is the reason why you can never ever substitute displacement for "more boosting".

With the 3.0-litres although they are not that much "boosted" and thus not that "highly-strung" like those of their contemporary 2.5-litres, BUT they are naturally GRUNTY at any engine rpms. Just look at the 3.0-litre Hilux, you're guaranteed a peak FLAT torque of 343 Nm from 1400 rpm all the way to 3200 rpm and with the local non-VGT 3.0-litre DMax, you're guaranteed 294 Nm from 1400 rpm all the way to 3400 rpm, no matter how you ease the fuel pedal within the very broad rpm range, you're assured of this thing.

Remember the old 1990's model 3.0-litre Toyota Prado (1KZ-TE engine)? That engine puts out only a peak 130 hp and 280 Nm torque, but look at how it conquers the hills.... The seat of pants feel is way different on these things as they are very torquey. They make the right amount of "power at rpm" (which is torque) at any revs....

But nonetless sir, there is now a new 2.5-litre Navara and a 3.0-litre Navara V6 that was built together with Renault of France. With the new 2.5-litre Navara, they bumped up the torque of the engine and spread it relatively widely, this time i believe, the intention is to address what consumers have had to say about the previous-and/or-current Navara that it lacks grunt at the low revs.

10. Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Wh1stl3r View Post
    Dmax
    Engine sounds like s**t
    Sheet metal is thin, specially at the tailgate and bed

As a workhorse the 4jj1 is better suited but the thin body sheet metal (specially at the bed) is a real let down. I've had to have it hammered out 3x in 5 years.
    Really sir?

i have 2 DMax, a 2004 4JH1-TC with over 300,000 km now and yes, going strong, and a 2008 4JJ1-TC. All are 4x2 manual-trannies.

i am loading 3 dirtbikes in my DMax 4JJ1-TC most of the time we go out offroading to Rizal, Bulacan, Pampanga, Tarlac or elsewhere.... But NONE of this style of problems i have had any like the one you're talking about here. i am even bringing the DMax's in the offroad places as near as possible where we would be trail-riding. The older 4JH1-TC is even an operations-service vehicle and the environs thereat is offroad.

The older DMax 4JH1-TC has better suspension than the "higher-stance" 4JJ1-TC, just in case you don't know....

As far as the engine noise, the 4JH1-TC 3.0 TD Intercooler is really noisy.... not the 4JJ1-TC Ddi-iTEQ though. Are you using K&N washable air filter, at a minimum? If not, you might want to. Your engine won't run as noisy as how you describe it.

Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
nissan navara brute or isuzu dmax lt 4x4