New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Hi Tsikoteers!
    My family is planning to purchase a pick up in the next few months.
    Purpose is for family use and provincial trips.
    We removed the hilux and strada from our checklist as I've read that there are issues with common rail diesel engines and we plan on keeping the truck at least 10 years.
    So we're currently choosing between the Frontier and Dmax LT.
    Would like to get feedback regarding:
    Durability and Longevity
    Fuel efficiency
    Comfort (I know they are both base models but which of the two can offer better comfort?)
    Maintenance/parts cost and availability.
    Better power, yung di ka mabibitin if you want to overtake.

Many thanks!

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    On durability and longevity, both are proven and it will just boil down to how you use and maintain your pickup.

The Dmax will have an edge on fuel efficiency, i surmise. My Frontier 2.7E used to do around 10km/L in the average and drop down to 8-9km/L if i push it hard; while highway driving would give us 12 to 14km/L.

On comfort, from what i've observed, the Dmax has a better legroom for the rear passengers and a better ride.

On power, from my experience the Frontier has relatively better overtaking power and top-end speed however don't expect much from either pickups if you're comparing it to the Hilux, Strada, etc.

3. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by algc View Post
    Hi Tsikoteers!
    My family is planning to purchase a pick up in the next few months.
    Purpose is for family use and provincial trips.
    We removed the hilux and strada from our checklist as I've read that there are issues with common rail diesel engines and we plan on keeping the truck at least 10 years.
    So we're currently choosing between the Frontier and Dmax LT.
    Would like to get feedback regarding:
    Durability and Longevity
    Fuel efficiency
    Comfort (I know they are both base models but which of the two can offer better comfort?)
    Maintenance/parts cost and availability.
    Better power, yung di ka mabibitin if you want to overtake.

Many thanks!
    I'd suggest you get the D-Max. Its the newer design between the two. Also, it has TREMENDOUS range! Couple the Crosswind's fuel efficient 4JA1 engine with a 76 liter fuel tank (Crosswind only has a 55L tank) and you'd be going halfway to the moon before you'd need to refuel. Durability and longevity would go to the Isuzu no doubt and so would maintenance and parts cost/availability. Comfort naman, the D-Max has a more spacious cab. As for power, I think the Frontier might have a slight edge especially in the highway but the D-Max should do better in the inclines and in stop and go traffic. Besides, you can always opt to install an aftermarket air filter, alcohol injection or even crank up the boost of the turbo should you want more power.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Hello Algc,

both trucks are proven and tested to stand last long, at the end of the day it's up to you what will you choose, IMO I prefer most the D-Max LT when it comes durability, fuel-economy/efficiency and maintenance (cheap to maintain that's why it is one of the most favorite of those entrepreneurs as their daily workhorse) it is totally a dependable truck, just look at the isuzu fuegos still rolling around the streets. For comfort- D-max wins. on the other hand, if you want some extra power go for the frontier bravado since it is build with a 2.7 engine, pero in my observation halos parehas lang sa takbuhan yang dalawang yan, in FC mas matipid ng onti ang d-max, parang mas malakas pa sa hatakan yun d-max e, when it comes to overtaking, i guess it will just depend on how you drives it. since top end nga daw yung frontier, it's up to you if you like to always stick it to a high rpm to speed other car in an overtaking scenario, while the d-max it will give you power even you are on the low rpm, but you will need to push it real-real hard when you want to go for a sprint.

5. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    haven't tested the dmax but i've driven the frontier before -- on the winding roads of the provinces

true enough, the frontier has a commendable power. durability, uhh, can't really comment on that since the said pick-up was sold after several years of purchase (RFS: new car) but since then, wala naman problemang binigay. it was occasionally taken to farms with rough roads.

comfort, hindi masyado ok yung rear passenger comfort. may pagka-tagtag. but i guess that's a given.

what i like about the bravado are its looks. i actually prefer it than the dmax.

Nissan Frontier Bravado vs Isuzu Dmax LT