New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Hi guys,

can you please send some feedback about Nissan Exalta STA and Honda Civic with same year model.
    which is best buy?
    Thanks!

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    The Exalta STA is cheaper spec for spec. I find the 98-00 Civic horribly overpriced for what you get.

When new, the STA was better loaded, more luxurious, more comfortable and better equipped.

But now both are twelve years old. Most of the toys will be non-functional, the leather will be coming apart and the interior trim will be falling off. If you can find an STA in great condition, it's worth considering, but I doubt you can.

A Civic of the same era drives better, rides nicely and has a good engine. The automatic, however, is just as bad as the Nissan auto, and possibly a bit more fragile,
    Last edited by niky; November 24th, 2012 at 07:16 AM.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

3. Join Date
    May 2009
    d maganda fc ng exalta. common prob nagmalfunction na abs sensor

4. Join Date
    May 2010
    Here are some reviews:
    THE ULTIMATE USED CAR GUIDE: Used Car Review - Nissan Sentra Exalta (2000-2001)
    THE ULTIMATE USED CAR GUIDE: Used Car Review - Honda Civic (1996-2000)

Actually, magandang bargain ang Sentra Exalta but be careful with the electronics, lalo na kung masira

5. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Medyo exaggerated naman siguro ang falling interior trim and leather falling apart. Although it is hard to find units with still-flawless leather. Beige interior makes the wear and tear even more evident. This for one looks well preserved and sells for just 178k.
    Nissan Exalta STA AT - 00 | Cars for sale Quezon City | AyosDito.ph
    Honda Civic of the same year is much more expensive, whether they be the last batches of EK or first batches of ES. I find both more spacious than the Exalta. High rpm performance, of course, goes to the Honda, but the EK lacks safety features.

If I had the money and was in the market for a car of this class, I'd get the ES Civic VTi-S M/T. If luxury is the target, might as well get a proper midsize sedan as a weekend car or at the very least, a newer Ford Lynx Ghia.

6. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    We had an Exalta, and I was a member of Nissanbayan before, where a whole bunch of Exalta owners hung out. I also knew a few guys in real life who also had the car.

The biggest problem with the Exalta was that it was made in Taiwan. With lots of Taiwanese parts. Which weren't as good or durable as the Japanese originals.

Commonly, AC compressors and alternators started failing after three to five years.At this point, if they're still good, they're still good. If they're not, they've been replaced with better Japanese parts. The alarm and centralized door locks tend to start malfunctioning after two to three years, as well. There's always the MAF and IACV issues, but these are endemic for late 90's Japanese cars in general, so not worth mentioning.

Trim pieces and plastic were kind of flimsy. They won't fall off, but they get loose and rattly over time.

The soft rubber on the shifter dissolves easily with acidic or salty sweat. If the previous owner had sweaty palms, that will be completely borked.

The 12 CD Changer starts skipping after a while, and if you lose the cartridge, too bad.

The leather is, admittedly, somewhat durable, despite being so soft. But it gets very dirty very easily and it's hard to maintain the color.

The underchassis components specifc to the Exalta are a bit softer than on Japanese cars. CV Joints tend to go out, and the soft shocks, too. Despite being 4-wheel discs, the brakes on the Exalta are absolutely pathetic.

The engine is, thankfully, still Japanese. Engine and transmission problems are not a big issue, and the GA16DE gives decent economy as long as you clean the MAF often.Power and pick-up are pathetic, but it's not really any worse than most other Japanese buzzboxes with a four-speed slushbox.

If you can find a great one, great. They're fantastic little cars for cruising in comfort. If not, look some more or look at something else. Personally, the mechanical quality of the 98 Super Saloon we had before the Exalta was much better, though the appointments were nowhere near as luxurious.

-

The Civic, on the other hand, if you're getting an auto, has its own issues. There's a lack of safety equipment compared to most cars of the time. The 4AT tends to be fragile if not properly cared for, and can start slipping badly over time. (true of most anything, but I've seen more secondhand Hondas like this than others). That generation of Civic had horrible rust-proofing. If you see a row of discolored dots of paint on the roof or nubs that look like they're starting to bubble, run away. I repeat: RUN AWAY. That's a costly repaint due to poor rust-proofing around the roof welds.

Honda Civics also tend not to sit flat, for some reason... but that's easy to fix with some spring spacers. VTi's are fantastic cars to drive, but I wouldn't get one with an auto. Why ruin a perfectly good engine by mating it to a terrible transmission? Also, the small radiator is a pain once cooling problems start to happen, but at least the engines are relatively robust and can survive minor overheats easily.

Even then, Civic secondhand prices are ridiculous. At the 200k and below price point you get cars that are five or six years older than anything else. While Honda engines are great, I wouldn't pay an extra 50k just for those motors in an old rustbucket!
    Last edited by niky; November 24th, 2012 at 01:46 PM.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

7. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    is this the model that has sunroof? i dislike sunroof. one more potential problem to fix.. also, we have too much sun.. and of course, the omnipresent coconut tree and its huge falling leaves or nuts.. (yes, nabagsakan nako..)
    my 82 centavos' worth..
    Last edited by dr. d; November 24th, 2012 at 07:13 PM.