New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Hi Guys!

Need your inputs, I'll be buying a pre-owned car for my wife. Pang hatid sundo lang sa school (about 5 to 6 kms) and grocery na din. I have a compact car kaso MT and until now hirap pa din syang idrive. Madalas mamatayan ng engine and hirap syang ipark. I have three on my list and yung price nila is 160 to 180K. Which should I choose? Must be AT, comfortable, easy to maintain and reliable. I want the Exalta kasi leather seats, sun roof plus other features. Sa City, engine reliability and maporma pa din. Sa Lancer, last on my list kasi i had bad experiences before, pero okay na kaya sa 2000up model? Max budget namin is 200K and I'm also open for suggestions.

Nissan Exalta STA - 2001 to 2003 model
    Honda City Type Z - 2000 to 2002 model
    Lancer GLX - 2001

Thanks!

2. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by sir_jayson View Post
    Hi Guys!

Need your inputs, I'll be buying a pre-owned car for my wife. Pang hatid sundo lang sa school (about 5 to 6 kms) and grocery na din. I have a compact car kaso MT and until now hirap pa din syang idrive. Madalas mamatayan ng engine and hirap syang ipark. I have three on my list and yung price nila is 160 to 180K. Which should I choose? Must be AT, comfortable, easy to maintain and reliable. I want the Exalta kasi leather seats, sun roof plus other features. Sa City, engine reliability and maporma pa din. Sa Lancer, last on my list kasi i had bad experiences before, pero okay na kaya sa 2000up model? Max budget namin is 200K and I'm also open for suggestions.

Lancer GLX - 2001

Thanks!
    beg pardon, but...
    of what use is a sunroof in our country, where heat and strong sunlight are the norm..? and it'll probably need maintenance lest it leak in the future...
    leather seats? they tend to harden over time, becoming somewhat un-comfortable in traffic. i had one before, a 2003 lancer mx cvt... but i must admit.. they do look great.
    fuel in-efficiency? at 12 km roundtrip, i wouldn't complain too much. but i must confess.. i complained to myself at my mx's 5.5 km/li figure... had to get out and see if i was driving a crown..
    otherwise, i think all three are good choices... assuming the previous owner did not manhandle them...
    then, there's the "vaunted" nissan aircon.. which i don't totally believe in. my mx was just as cool.

so...
    a pizza lancer? no experience me here.
    a sentra would fit in your given budget. i had a 1997 sentra before. very good build quality. but the STA/SLA... they say it has taiwanese blood.. electronics etc... glitches.. make sure everything works, sir.
    city type Z? my colleague refuses to part with his.. reliable daw (MT).
    have fun, sir.

errr... what was your bad lancer experience before, sir?
    Last edited by dr. d; June 14th, 2016 at 03:17 AM.

3. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by sir_jayson View Post
    Hi Guys!

Lancer GLX - 2001

Thanks!
    Between the three, i'd pick the Honda city. It may not be as comfortable and equipped as the Exalta, but it is by far the most fuel efficient between the three, plus given its size, it is the most agile and easier to drive, which your wife will truly appreciate. I have nothing against the Lancer, in fact I have already owned six of them, from the Colt lancer up to the Cedia. You may call me a lancer fanatic but having owned several of them I must say that from the "singkit" (89') up to the "Pizza" (02') model, they had the poorest Mitsu engineering design. Poor in terms of engine and suspension, plus the windows durability. Hey, no offense here on Lancer owners, like I said, I was a Lancer owner too, I'm just being honest with the TS. As for the Sentra, It may be the comfiest of the bunch, but definitely the thirstiest. Leather and electronics specially the AC buttons tend to break overtime. No offense here again.

Goodluck!

4. Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Go for the Honda City even if it has a d13b engine it can still put 1.6l sedans to shame it produces 95hp it is even more powerful than the 1.3 vios and it is also spacious. Cornering with the honda city is okay with the independent rear suspension not found on new City's steering response is a little slow. Maintenance is cheap.

5. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by crosswind View Post
    Go for the Honda City even if it has a d13b engine it can still put 1.6l sedans to shame it produces 95hp it is even more powerful than the 1.3 vios and it is also spacious. Cornering with the honda city is okay with the independent rear suspension not found on new City's steering response is a little slow. Maintenance is cheap.
    No it can't. I've driven both and the Vios 1.3 feels much peppier than the old City 1.3 with its D13. Independent suspension doesn't matter either, ride is very jittery and NVH is awful.

Can't imagine what 1.6L car it can outperform, maybe a Suzuki APV.

The City Type Z 1.5 VTEC is great though, and it's my pick among the 3.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by jut703 View Post
    No it can't. I've driven both and the Vios 1.3 feels much peppier than the old City 1.3 with its D13. Independent suspension doesn't matter either, ride is very jittery and NVH is awful.

Can't imagine what 1.6L car it can outperform, maybe a Suzuki APV.

The City Type Z 1.5 VTEC is great though, and it's my pick among the 3.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The vios 1.3 feels faster beacause Toyota programs its electronic throttles to open more completely with smaller pedal inputs right? I think the city can outperform the 1.6 mz3 I have driven one but the city will surely lose when it comes to reaching 100kph and beyond
    Last edited by crosswind; June 14th, 2016 at 01:58 PM.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Why not opt for a Civic ES (2001-2005)? Or the boxy Altis of the same era?

8. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by crosswind View Post
    The vios 1.3 feels faster beacause Toyota programs its electronic throttles to open more completely with smaller pedal inputs right? I think the city can outperform the 1.6 mz3 I have driven one but the city will surely lose when it comes to reaching 100kph and beyond
    I already took Toyota's jumpy throttle into consideration. Whether it's 0-100, top speed, or in-gear acceleration, the Vios outperforms the City. And rightfully so, the D13 is much older than the 2NZ without any variable valve timing to speak of.

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

9. Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    beg pardon, but...
    of what use is a sunroof in our country, where heat and strong sunlight are the norm..? and it'll probably need maintenance lest it leak in the future...
    leather seats? they tend to harden over time, becoming somewhat un-comfortable in traffic. i had one before, a 2003 lancer mx cvt... but i must admit.. they do look great.
    fuel in-efficiency? at 12 km roundtrip, i wouldn't complain too much. but i must confess.. i complained to myself at my mx's 5.5 km/li figure... had to get out and see if i was driving a crown..
    otherwise, i think all three are good choices... assuming the previous owner did not manhandle them...
    then, there's the "vaunted" nissan aircon.. which i don't totally believe in. my mx was just as cool.

so...
    a pizza lancer? no experience me here.
    a sentra would fit in your given budget. i had a 1997 sentra before. very good build quality. but the STA/SLA... they say it has taiwanese blood.. electronics etc... glitches.. make sure everything works, sir.
    city type Z? my colleague refuses to part with his.. reliable daw (MT).
    have fun, sir.

errr... what was your bad lancer experience before, sir?

Those added features are nice to have.. I know that in time one or two of these will wear out and costly to repair that's why I saved a certain amount for repairs, maintenance etc.

For the fuel consumption, I think that it's a bit decent (for city driving) considering the distance traveled. We won't be using it for long drives since we have other the one for it.

What we're looking for is more on comfort, reliability and basically a practical ride. Thanks!

10. Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by jvnj View Post
    Between the three, i'd pick the Honda city. It may not be as comfortable and equipped as the Exalta, but it is by far the most fuel efficient between the three, plus given its size, it is the most agile and easier to drive, which your wife will truly appreciate. I have nothing against the Lancer, in fact I have already owned six of them, from the Colt lancer up to the Cedia. You may call me a lancer fanatic but having owned several of them I must say that from the "singkit" (89') up to the "Pizza" (02') model, they had the poorest Mitsu engineering design. Poor in terms of engine and suspension, plus the windows durability. Hey, no offense here on Lancer owners, like I said, I was a Lancer owner too, I'm just being honest with the TS. As for the Sentra, It may be the comfiest of the bunch, but definitely the thirstiest. Leather and electronics specially the AC buttons tend to break overtime. No offense here again.

Goodluck!

Thanks for sharing. I would agree on the lancer, I also had one before and almost every month I had something to be repaired.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast