New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Hi guys, I am a foreigner from Tajikistan, living with my wife here in the Philippines, great country by the way except for the airport for now I have no complains, I want to ask if of the following what is good? I am going to use it to bring stuff from my house to my wifes place and we will live back and forth from these places. It is in Cabugao Ilocos Sur and I have house in San Mateo and I will use this for the business as well. so if any can help me, this be great.

Fuel Efficiency, Noice, Gas, Quality and affter service and capacity, and if any of them is the 4wd which would be great because we might go to some places and it might be the muddy.

2. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by FredFlinstone View Post
    Hi guys, I am a foreigner from Tajikistan, living with my wife here in the Philippines, great country by the way except for the airport for now I have no complains, I want to ask if of the following what is good? I am going to use it to bring stuff from my house to my wifes place and we will live back and forth from these places. It is in Cabugao Ilocos Sur and I have house in San Mateo and I will use this for the business as well. so if any can help me, this be great.

Fuel Efficiency, Noice, Gas, Quality and affter service and capacity, and if any of them is the 4wd which would be great because we might go to some places and it might be the muddy.
    Hello there, and welcome to the Philippines!

What sort of stuff are you hauling? Is it heavy? For heavy duty hauling, I'd be choosing between the NHR and Canter. Since Hino has a weak presence in this country, parts are a bit expensive and harder to come by as compared to Isuzu's and Mitsubishi's. Get the NHR if you value fuel efficiency (2.8L turbo intercooler), and the Canter if you need the punch (3.9L turbo intercooler). But if you are looking for trucks, you probably know that they are very cumbersome to drive and difficult to manuever in city streets. Not to mention the weak brakes due to drums on all four corners and jittery ride due to leaf springs fore and aft.

If you do not need the heavy duty capabilities of a truck, then there are the K2700, H100 and L300. I'd scratch off the L300 immediately, it being the oldest and mechanically unchanged since the late 1980s. Column mounted shifter is a pain to use too. The K2700 and H100 are basically twins, but with different engines (2.6L for the H100 and 2.7L for the K2700). The Hyundai is cheaper, but only the Kia is available with 4x4 among all your choices. Gas consumption is similar for the three, all being similarly sized, old school, normally aspirated diesels. Due to extra weight, expect a slight dip for the K2700 4x4 though.

3. Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by GTi View Post
    Hello there, and welcome to the Philippines!

What sort of stuff are you hauling? Is it heavy? For heavy duty hauling, I'd be choosing between the NHR and Canter. Since Hino has a weak presence in this country, parts are a bit expensive and harder to come by as compared to Isuzu's and Mitsubishi's. Get the NHR if you value fuel efficiency (2.8L turbo intercooler), and the Canter if you need the punch (3.9L turbo intercooler). But if you are looking for trucks, you probably know that they are very cumbersome to drive and difficult to manuever in city streets. Not to mention the weak brakes due to drums on all four corners and jittery ride due to leaf springs fore and aft.

If you do not need the heavy duty capabilities of a truck, then there are the K2700, H100 and L300. I'd scratch off the L300 immediately, it being the oldest and mechanically unchanged since the late 1980s. Column mounted shifter is a pain to use too. The K2700 and H100 are basically twins, but with different engines (2.6L for the H100 and 2.7L for the K2700). The Hyundai is cheaper, but only the Kia is available with 4x4 among all your choices. Gas consumption is similar for the three, all being similarly sized, old school, normally aspirated diesels. Due to extra weight, expect a slight dip for the K2700 4x4 though.
    thank very much is the nhr 4x4?

I forgot to add my friend, this is for goods from food items and etc.

4. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    thank very much is the nhr 4x4?

I forgot to add my friend, this is for goods from food items and etc.
    No sir. The NHR is only rear wheel drive. Only the K2700 has 4x4. Engine needs more punch though, especially if you will be running a lot of highway.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2011
    I am a foreigner also (Canada) with a long extensive automotive background.

There is only one nameplate in the Philippines, in my opinion, for reliability, ease of service, and parts availability.

Isuzu!!

In the long run, this is a winner. Look how many are still on the road here in the Philippines.

I drive an Isuzu 4x4 Alterra. Underneath it is a Dmax.....not the most sophisticated, but truely a time tested reliable friend.

Ciao!

Uncle Nick.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    If you'll be ferrying goods a lot, but these goods are not too bulky, try to shy away from the delivery van looks of the NHR, L300 FB, etc... as you'll be harassed more by those traffic enforcers and "checkpoints" that you will encounter in and around the city, and out on the highway. This includes the anti smoke belching traps (yes, they are all traps looking to extort your hard earned money). They also will be tiring to drive on long trips where you want comfort and the power to pass the slow buses, trucks and tricycles that will hound you along the way.

Try to consider the newer variants of pick-ups that use an AUV rear or cargo bed. The Toyota Hilux and Mitsubishi L200 Strada have long bed variants which can be converted to AUV rear for more cargo capability.

Others i know also choose to buy a van (Hiace, Urvan, Starex Jumbo) and then just convert the inside to accommodate more cargo.

If it's just amongst your choices on top, I'd consider the H100 and Kia. The L300 FB may be the cheapest but it's also the oldest and has no hint of safety features whatsoever.

7. Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Thank you very much, I am carrying hollowblocks and stuff like this.

8. Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Thank you very much, I am carrying hollowblocks and stuff like this.
    you got PM sir

NHR VS k2700 VS H100 VS CANTER VS WU302L vs L300