• Subaru Impreza

13 22.03%
  • Mazda RX series

5 8.47%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2006
    I'd say the iconic car that became an icon since its first release... the best selling mass prod sports car, the Nissan Fairlady it is. Street, track proven.
    In Japan and U.S both this and the 240sx are so damn hot, esp. in the tuner scene. I think the once called "poor man's porsche" as stated by our bro redXIII --the evo and the aka "mark" supra are next.

NSX.. ummm... yes ur right brother orido it is underated, bec. of one major reason... max power vs. supra and gtr is measly, I agree w/ bro niky. In best motoring videos yes it has won a lot... but in official races vs other jap sports car? hmmm.. not that much.

Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    The NSX should be legendary, but the perceived lack of power really hurts it. In the minds of some, it is legendary, but a lot of people can't be bothered to get up in the morning for less than 300hp. Some of us know better...

The "Godzilla" was legendary not just because it rewrote the rulebooks on AWD handling, but because it was so rare. Until the release fo the LF-A, new GT-R or the next NSX, there's really nothing approaching that exclusivity.

Of course, for me, the one true Japanese supercar was the Nissan R390...
    I would like to disagree w/ u a bit bro niky the GTR has a lot.. I MEAN A LOT of achievements in motorsports thats why its a legend, not bec. of rarity. It was once being banned to race for its sheer dominance, and the only known racecar that is given a handicap of 30 kilos everytime it hits the circuit to compete. Hey, I guess it rewrote the rulebook a bit. ;) The "Godzilla" nick was actually given by foreigners due to its gnarly performance on the track. Resume` also includes nurburgring lap records.

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    It's okay. What I meant was, yes, it was a dominant force in racing (sort of like the Porsches), and it's a great car in its own rights, but much of the cult status surrounding the GT-R is the fact that it's an everyman's supercar that's still very exclusive.

Tignan mo naman... sandamukal na ang mga Porsche dito sa 'pinas, ilan lang ba ang mga GTR? (Not the Skylines... andami nang Skylines dito... mga GT-S, GTS-T, etcetera...)

I definitely want one, though...

-----

I think they made just one GT-One (checking Wiki... I'm right!)... homologation rules are a joke when applied to supercars, as just a single example counts as "production". I'm not sure how many R390 road cars they made, but it's probably less than a dozen (checking wiki... agh... no exact, but they did sell them... I remember the price tag as being around a million dollars... checking wiki again... yup.). Nissan should have capitalized on the R390 by making even more. I remember watching those bad boys race when I was a kid... awesome cars.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by IGNITED View Post
    I'd say the iconic car that became an icon since its first release... the best selling mass prod sports car, the Nissan Fairlady it is. Street, track proven.
    :fyi:

The Mazda Miata holds the Guinness world record for the best selling sports car.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Maybe I haven't been keeping track of the track for a while now. But, aren't most street cars destined for use on the track modded for more power? Plus, basing my observations on past discussions here about handling vs more hp, wouldn't its splendid handling compensate for its perceived lack of power?

Just wondering because I'm getting mixed feedback here....

Add; In any case, the NSX is one of the most prized collector car here. Whether part of that is due to its track record or not, it's hard to tell since I've only seen in person the one that was in the garage of our house.
    Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; July 4th, 2007 at 05:29 PM.

5. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Personally, I hold the NSX in high regard. But that perceived lack of power, and the fact that it went on for 15 years without improvements compared to the competition hurt it in the eyes of others.

And yes, the NSX can out-lap almost anything on wheels, given a twisty track layout.

6. Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mazdamazda View Post
    :fyi:

The Mazda Miata holds the Guinness world record for the best selling sports car.
    he he... maybe in guiness. I guess nissan did not enter their Z cars sales records there.. Figure shows that Nissan Z cars have a world wide sales around 1.6m vs. Mazdas miata of around 800k. And in guiness it said the best selling 2 SEATER, OPEN-TOP/CONVERTIBLE SPORTS CAR :car: of all time. A Z is NOT an open top. ;) :fyi:

7. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by M54 Powered View Post
    niky, don't forget the Toyota GT-One. did they ever make the roadgoing version of that car?

let's not go too crazy with the NSX...it is a beautifully balanced, wonderfully driveable sports car that had supercar-level performance in 1992

still a great car but never really captured the imagination or attention of the world like the Skyline did.

actually if i look at how the import tuner crowd in the US has viewed the list, i'd say the closest comparison is the Toyota Supra. great performance out of the box, but tunable to monster proportions with relatively simple parts, great aftermarket support....the only difference between it and the NSX and Skyline is that it is a whole lot more available to the masses.
    They made one copy of the GT-One, which was prompty sent off to the museum.

I don't think the lemans specials count as roadcars though. It's not like you could go out any buy one, even if you have near unlimited resources.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    ok, forget about the GT-One. i guess it wasn't produced in enough quantities to be relevant.

maybe i am splitting hairs, but i really don't see the Miata, Fairlady/Z, or even the Evo as a heir apparent to the Skyline GTR. they are iconic cars, but not supercars....in the sense that a Mustang is an iconic car, but a GT40 is an iconic supercar. the other cars are super-popular, much loved, and have great loyal fanbases and aftermarket support. but they don't perform to supercar performance out of the box, and cannot realistically be tuned to produce that kind of performance.

which is why i think the main argument is between the NSX and the Supra. niky makes a good point about the R390, and i also think that there was another Japanese mid-engined near-exotic that was produced by a company called Tommy Kaira....don't remember what it was called.

9. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    It was the Tommy Kaira ZZII. Although Tommy Kaira planned to make it, it never went on sale (I think...).

It was an awesome concept, Skyline GT-R engine, Skyline based AWD, 550 hp and a curb weight that would make an NSX jealous.

Too bad Tommy Kaira never made a good go of it, financially. They aren't producing anymore, and their regular ZZ line (mid-engine, powered by SR20's in race tune... with carbs to boot... glug glug glug) was being offered by a British company recently... the name of which escapes me.

Interesting fact... one I didn't know... according to Wikipedia, [wiki] Tommy Kaira was bought out by Autobacs... they're the ones, apparently, who developed the Garaiya for Autobacs. [/wiki off] The Garaiya is another rare mid-engined Japanese sports car, based off of the SR20VE engine architecture (190 naturally aspirated horses!)... there's talk of another model based on that, using the RB26DETT, but at this point, with the RB out of production, I think the possibility is remote.

------

Of course, if we're talking ultimate Japanese supercars, we would not be doing the Skyline justice without touching upon the Skyline GT-R Z-Tune... a remanufactured batch of R34 GTRs with (reportedly) about 500 hp and capable of 0-100 km/h in 3 seconds flat... with parts and bodykits based on the GTR touring cars. Very limited. In fact, they never finished their production run, as they couldn't find enough A-grade secondhand Skylines that hadn't been butchered, modified or wrecked to do the conversion on.

10. Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Hey thanks to dudes niky and m54 I suddenly remembered the tommykaira, the only japanese exotic car producers... that awesome RB26DETT powered ZZ car. wow! And ofcourse the expensive GTR Z-Tune, I think less the 20 were produced. And since my dude orido mentioned best motoring vids, one of the best selling best motoring vid is the one titled "nismo beast unleashed" featuring the GTR Z-tune... I think that was the vid where the z-tune beats the best cars euro can offer and some japanese too. ;)

Lastly, to my man M54, I didnt include the li'l miata in my poll.. maybe u had just browsed the discussion bet. dudes ignited and mazdamazda. And in fairness to evos, wrxs, silvias.. they're not supercars like the GTR (actually d only recognized Japanese Supercar by europeans) but they r sportscars that had set some feats and gain some achievements themselves, thus for me giving them the qualification to be included in the poll. Like what I've said b4-- Unlike some popular sportscars that had yet to prove enough in motorsports e.g. S2000.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
The Next Jap Sports/Super Car To Gain Legendary Status Ala Nissan's GTR