New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    ***double post***
    Last edited by niky; May 20th, 2006 at 11:17 PM.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    If it's a 316, forget it, not worth the investment. And while Bimmers retain their value, so do Civics... I'd take a bone stock SiR... who cares what people think? It still feels good to drive, maintains its resale value VERY well, and is easy to maintain. If you want an old Bimmer, get a 6 cylinder and budget up for maintenance.

3. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    I'll go with the BMW also just because its a BMW...

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I'd get the BMW.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    you are considering a BMW even if its used because of prestige, right? on the otherhand its a Civic for practicality(?)... for me id take the BMW even if its just E36 316i... less electronics, less gadget = less problem, maintenance as the Civic but still has prestige... if within the bidget i can afford a 320i, then that would be a nice consolation.

6. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    a friend of a friend sold his altis to buy a BMW (presumably an E36, kasi nasa almost-1M pa rin ang E46). now he thoroughly regrets the maintenance costs and wants to sell it, but can't.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    i'd go with a early 90s 525... the going price is around 400K... pretty cheap for something that feels luxurious and handles pretty well...

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Ang layo ng driving feel ng BMW sa Honda. I've driven Bimmers back to back with Hondas. Yeah, 316i's are slow. Pero maganda manakbo. Ibang-iba kung tumapak sa lubak, alam mong naka-Euro car ka. The ways the door close with a sold thud, the rattle free bodies, etc.

Same with our '97 Volvo 850. It's cheaper than the cheapest Kia Picanto, but still feels like a million bucks. Mahal ba maintenance? I dunno. We just take it to the gas station. Repairs are few and far between naman.

I'd take the higher end anytime (unless sobrang laspag nung older car). Right now, mahal na gasolina. Rather than buy an econocar, we just built a classic Benz with a small diesel engine. Mas mura pa lumalabas.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

9. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Still, the only question is: how much time and money are you willing to put into the car?

Maintaining a newer BMW can be affordable and easy... but probably not at the same time... the easy way (the casa) is expensive, and the affordable way (outside) will take more of your time.

Maintaining a Honda is relatively easy in comparison. Shops are plentiful, and odds are everyone and his brother in your neighborhood knows how to fix one.

Yes, a BMW is a really nice car, prestigious, etcetera, etcetera, with all the amenities that even a loaded Honda lacks... but you have to be willing to pay for that prestige... even if it's not the huge sum it used to be, it's still considerable when compared to owning a Japanese car.

Nothing against BMWs, it's just a reality check... of sorts.

If all your budget stretches to are cars in this price range, think long and hard about how you're going to budget maintenance. I've always maintained that you need a 50k peso buffer for unforseen problems when you buy a secondhand japanese car... with the BMW, you'll need quite a bit more in case of emergencies.

That said, hey, yeah... a BMW 525 is a nice choice... swell car, that.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I guess it would depend on the thread starter. Im my case, whether it's Euro, Jap, American, etc. it will still get mostly third-party maintenance so no difference in time and effort spent.

Btw, the last mint condition '96 316i I checked was being sold for Php430k OBO. Complete service records, owned by knowledgeable BMW owner. Drove great. Being sold to make way for SUV.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Newer Honda or Older BMW?