New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Hi to all tsikoteer

Needs help lang po,suggestions of what car to choose, STA or LYNX?

I'll be buying my first car soon, 2nd hand lang, nasa 230-270k range budget ko. Probably A/T para pwede madrive ng wifey ko. year 2000 up model. I find STA and Lynx well inside my budget and ideal sedan.

Just need your inputs guy whats the best among the two.Thanks

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Gadgets/Interior:

STA: lots of toys, but the electronics can go batty at times. On a car this old, expect power lock problems, CD Changer problems (medyo maselan yung player niya) and some trim issues (loose panels, degraded rubber).

Lynx: Lots of toys, too, but not quite up to the STA's count. Seats are more supportive than the ultra-soft seats of the Exalta, but the STA's leather is a bit more buttery (that's a good thing... as long as they're not disintegrating).

Engine/Transmission

STA: This is probably one of the slowest cars on Earth. That said, it's good for high speed highway cruising. Possible engine problems include dirty MAF sensors and idle fluctuation. Timing chain means less to think about in terms of maintenance (and the previous owner will not have had a chance to forget to change it... because it doesn't need changing).

Easy on gas... until you turn on the aircon. The aircon is powerful, but it causes a sizeable jump in gas consumption, and a huge drop in overtaking power.

Lynx: livelier sounding engine, but it's not that much quicker. Has a reputation for being a gas guzzler when paired with the AT, but all AT cars drink gas like there's no tomorrow.

Possible problems include a dirty MAF sensor and busted ignition coils and/or cam position sensors. If the Ignition coils and Cam position Sensor have already been replaced, they should last quite a while, as current replacement parts have been redesigned to last longer. Don't be shy about asking owners if they've replaced the Cam Sensor... this problem is common knowledge amongst Lynx owners.

Since these are both seven or six year old AT cars, check each one carefully. If there's a lot of shift shock, grinding or whining down there during the test drive, forget it... better safe than sorry. AT overhauls cost an arm and a leg, and shopping for a new surplus tranny takes quite a while.

Handling/Ride/Braking:

STA: Drives like a boat. Really soft shocks and springs compared to lower model Sentras. Can bottom out at speed if you're not careful. You can change to springs and shocks for lower model Sentras to stiffen up (bonus, shocks for the B13 Sentra lowers the front 1" ). Brakes are pure crap. ABS is over-reactive, and activates at the slightest whiff of trouble (and it makes braking distances pretty long).

Lynx: Ride is pretty stiff. Not AUV/Jeep stiff, but some people don't like it. The stiff ride pays dividends in terms of body control and stability. Handling is exceptional, only matched by the EK Civic. ABS logic is pretty good, but the brakes themselves are just average.

On both cars, check for unusual sounds from underneath, as well as for busted bushings, loose sway-bars and busted engine mounts. Also listen for ticking sounds from the CV Joints in turns going uphill or downhill (try test-driving at a parking garage?). Typical Japanese suspensions take quite a beating from EDSA potholes. If the previous owner has neglected his suspension, bat for a big discount.

-----

I personally prefer the Lynx, but I've had the STA, and it was a nice car when it was new, and besides the lack of power, we had no major complaints against it. Test drive these cars and decide which factors you value more.

Also, take your time when picking. Whichever car you buy, focus on the vehicle's condition first, and think about price afterwards. If you find a vehicle in reasonably good condition, budget an extra 20,000 to 30,000 anyway as contingency money, in case something goes wrong.

And, at your budget, you can get in a down-payment and a number of monthlies on a brand new subcompact like the Picanto or Getz... stretch a bit more, and there are Toyotas and Hondas in your price range. None of these are as luxurious or well-loaded as a secondhand STA or Lynx Ghia, but they'll be more-or-less hassle free for two to three years, and they'll save you money on gas compared to the older, bigger cars.

Good luck! Happy hunting!

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

3. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    +1 Sir Niky's right stick with Toyotas and Hondas dami pang parts

4. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Medyo mahal nga lang ang Honda parts... and Hondas and Toyotas at that price usually have no airbags, but they might have ABS. Kung AT, yung Honda ATs at that time weren't that good (but if it's manual, spot on ang VTi, medyo wala lang laman). Toyota ATs of that time were pretty efficient, pero kulang din sa toys. But I must reiterate... shop carefuly lang kung ganyan ka-luma. If there's an obvious problem with the AT or the ATFluid, walk away.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

5. Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Thanks Niky!

Thats was a very knowlegeable data you pass on specially to a newbie like me, still needs more inputs!

looks lyk my taste for both models seems fly away, maybe id shop for a late 90's honda or mitsu? Any suggestions?

Newbie-Nissan exalta sta or Ford lynx HELP!